• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Anthony Martial

Oh, no. The rest of your post makes some reasonable points, but not this one. After 29 days of utterly mystifying inactivity, *three* bids apparently go out in the final few hours of a window for Giuseppe Rossi, Aguero and Llorente - all 30m+, when our previous transfer record was half that, and with barely any time left to actually negotiate the bids in good faith.

Nobody can feasibly argue that those transparently laughable bids for Aguero, Rossi and Llorente were anything other than last-minute attempts to appease the fans in a season where we expected Levy and co. to push the boat out.

Well I can and I did. What evidence do you have that these were anything other than a genuine attempt? Nothing but supposition. That's all I have but I think the onus is on you to have something more concrete as I have evidence to show that Levy does put in bids for good players.

With Aguero in particular, he fitted into the player that we were after. Young, gifted and with huge upside potential. So why not? Just because Levy hadn't shown "ambition" up until that point?

Well I can and I did. What evidence do you have that these were anything other than a genuine attempt? Nothing but supposition. That's all I have but I think the onus is on you to have something more concrete as I have evidence to show that Levy does put in bids for good players.

With Aguero in particular, he fitted into the player that we were after. Young, gifted and with huge upside potential. So why not? Just because Levy hadn't shown "ambition" up until that point?

He does, but in terms of the way he puts bids in, I don't think it's evidence that backs up your point in any substantive way. Take Moutinho as an example of Levy's preferred approach to signing players with large fees and large signing-on demands - especially in that particular period. Levy bids for Moutinho on deadline day, spends ages negotiating (so long that the deadline passes and the window shuts) and still can't get a deal done.

One single player, and it took all that time and effort to try and get a deal done - and it ultimately couldn't be done.

Now, on deadline day in January 2011, a year and a half earlier, a rash of reports emerge of Levy making not one but *three* simultaneous, record-breaking bids. 38.5 million pounds for Aguero (smashing the British transfer record), 35 million pounds for Rossi (11m *more* than what we apparently were prepared to pay for Moutinho later on), and 33 million pounds for Llorente (both of which would have doubled our previous transfer record). Each one unimaginable after a window of absolute miserliness, and each one for players likely to demand very high wages and signing-on fees by dint of their public profiles. All at the same time, mind - on deadline day.

And you're telling me that he made those bids in good faith, allocating enough time to negotiate each of them in turn were they to be accepted?

No, that stretches credulity. As for Aguero fitting our profile, bear in mind that Llorente probably did not, and he was also part of that famed last day 30m+ mega blitz that we were apparently dead keen on. He was 26 going on 27, iirc - in his prime, and any contract with us would mean no future resale value worth noting if we kept him for three or four years. So it isn't even like all three of those suggested bids were for players who Levy would have feasibly pushed the boat out for *at the time*.

So, what evidence you have that these bids were in good faith, and were something other than transparent attempts to appease the fans after a January window in which we otherwise did next to nothing?

I find this link very odd. Isn't leaving for anything less than £60-70m and even then I don't see him wanting to leave.

An old fashioned Danny Levy smoke screen perhaps...

Would like him to join us - but can't believe there is any chance of this happening without Rose going in the opposite direction.

Im

Starting

To

Think

That

You

Are

Levy

Himself

.... lend me a fiver

You would only go and spend it on mind altering substances, which some must be doing IF they think Levy is not showing ambition/holding this club back ( which has been said by some). ;)

You would only go and spend it on mind altering substances, which some must be doing IF they think Levy is not showing ambition/holding this club back ( which has been said by some). ;)

Come let's go for a toke .... But you will need more than a fiver grandad!

He does, but in terms of the way he puts bids in, I don't think it's evidence that backs up your point in any substantive way. Take Moutinho as an example of Levy's preferred approach to signing players with large fees and large signing-on demands - especially in that particular period. Levy bids for Moutinho on deadline day, spends ages negotiating (so long that the deadline passes and the window shuts) and still can't get a deal done.

One single player, and it took all that time and effort to try and get a deal done - and it ultimately couldn't be done.

Now, on deadline day in January 2011, a year and a half earlier, a rash of reports emerge of Levy making not one but *three* simultaneous, record-breaking bids. 38.5 million pounds for Aguero (smashing the British transfer record), 35 million pounds for Rossi (11m *more* than what we apparently were prepared to pay for Moutinho later on), and 33 million pounds for Llorente (both of which would have doubled our previous transfer record). Each one unimaginable after a window of absolute miserliness, and each one for players likely to demand very high wages and signing-on fees by dint of their public profiles. All at the same time, mind - on deadline day.

And you're telling me that he made those bids in good faith, allocating enough time to negotiate each of them in turn were they to be accepted?

No, that stretches credulity. As for Aguero fitting our profile, bear in mind that Llorente probably did not, and he was also part of that famed last day 30m+ mega blitz that we were apparently dead keen on. He was 26 going on 27, iirc - in his prime, and any contract with us would mean no future resale value worth noting if we kept him for three or four years. So it isn't even like all three of those suggested bids were for players who Levy would have feasibly pushed the boat out for *at the time*.

So, what evidence you have that these bids were in good faith, and were something other than transparent attempts to appease the fans after a January window in which we otherwise did next to nothing?

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree again. If Moutinho is your evidence of Levy not putting in bids in the best way, then I am not sure that is substantive in any way. Because we have VdV, Sissoko and a number of other players that we have signed as evidence of Levy signing a good player. The truth is with regards to Moutinho that no one knows why that broke down. One set of fans believe it is because Levy negotiated everything down to the nth degree and spent ages (on the last day) thus jeapordising the transfer. On the other, it could just have been that the other club, Moutinho's agent were just asking for too much, and more than we were willing to pay. Yet Levy wanted to try and make it work and spent ages discussing the transfer rather than coming out and saying "Sorry, couldn't sign the player because he wanted twice what I was willing to pay and the club wanted far more money than I was led to believe".

Now when we talk about the deadline day of Jan 2011, a season where it was our first in the Champions League, Our strikers were Crouch, Defoe and Pavlyuchenko. Levy had just the transfer window before picked up VdV on the last day of the transfer window. A relatively iconic player at least as far as what we had been able to attract thus far. Redknapp was saying he needed a top quality player, someone who would lift the club and really make us challenge for the title. So what does Levy need to do? If he were to buy a relative unknown, it would be a serious "lack of ambition". No, he thinks he can get another last minute purchase (like he had already done). Because it is last minute, he puts in bids for 3 of the top strikers that could potentially come to us. Now, I don't believe that you ever go into the last day without having got an indication from the players that they are willing to come like the secret footballer laid out as to how a transfer works, but let's go with it. They don't come off, and because fans are so bitterly disappointed that a top player was not signed they accuse Levy of dragging out negotiations. It's all HIS fault that we didn't sign anyone, and actually in this case they were completely fake bids, designed to placate the fans and show that we were at least trying.

Quite how we get to it is a fake bid is quite ridiculous. It's based on a premise that a set of fans think that he believes fans are so stupid that they will be happy with a "at least we tried approach". You and I both know this is not the case. The fans are not so forgiving. If anything it makes them more angry than if he didn't make a bid in the first place. Yet, it HAS to be Levy's fault. It can't be anything else. So because Levy is some disaster, penny-pinching taco, they MUST have been fake bids. We had no hope of getting a top quality striker on the last day of the transfer window. Levy must only have started negotiations on the last day, because otherwise we would have worked something out. Levy had no intention of spending money and instead just wanted to look as if we were willing to splash the cash, because the fans would be placated with the knowledge that, like other clubs, we can put a bid in of a huge nature.

I'm sorry, but in these situations where there is NO evidence to know exactly what has happened, I would prefer to believe that Levy is just trying to do his best. In negotiations and attempts, things work out or they don't. In his case they work out more often than not, so that leaves me to believe that he does have out best interests at heart. You, on the other hand, would rather believe that he is is a penny pincher. He has no intention of actually going through with a bid for 3 strikers. He was just putting on a show.

And this goes back to my point. With that belief, the guy cannot win. He puts in a bid, it is a fake bid. He doesn't put in a bid (or at least we don't find out that he puts in a bid) he is not showing enough ambition. A player refuses us, Levy is not paying enough wages. If Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, Liverpool or Arsenal can do it, why can't we.

No club wins all of the time when it comes to transfers and our record speaks for itself. We probably have the most successful transfer strategy when it comes to value for money than any other club. Yet because we cannot compete with clubs that have at least one and a half times our turnover, Levy is to blame.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree again. If Moutinho is your evidence of Levy not putting in bids in the best way, then I am not sure that is substantive in any way. Because we have VdV, Sissoko and a number of other players that we have signed as evidence of Levy signing a good player. The truth is with regards to Moutinho that no one knows why that broke down. One set of fans believe it is because Levy negotiated everything down to the nth degree and spent ages (on the last day) thus jeapordising the transfer. On the other, it could just have been that the other club, Moutinho's agent were just asking for too much, and more than we were willing to pay. Yet Levy wanted to try and make it work and spent ages discussing the transfer rather than coming out and saying "Sorry, couldn't sign the player because he wanted twice what I was willing to pay and the club wanted far more money than I was led to believe".

Yes, no one knows why Moutino broke down, but I'm not sure your objections to my use of his transfer as an example buttress your point, either. You say that it could have been because Porto were asking for too much, or Moutinho's agent was asking for too much - fair enough, but in that case, that makes the prospect of us being willing to spend on Aguero back in 2011 even *more* unlikely, don't you think? Aguero would have asked for more by way of wages than Moutinho would have - we were also apparently trying to trigger his release clause of *38.5m*, which would have been a) a British transfer *record* back then, and b) all payable up front, because that's how release clauses work.

And all that would have had to happen in one day, much like the Moutinho transfer. If Levy had to *stretch* himself to accomodate a bid of 24m pounds plus whatever wages Moutinho asked for, and that approach *still* failed - it's hard to see him being equally willing to suddenly pay 38.5m upfront, no questions asked, plus obediently acquiesce to Aguero's wage demands. Especially since, to take the point even further, Levy haggled so much over Moutinho *after* a summer in which he'd sold our best player to Real Madrid (no choice, really) and needed a playmaker to replace him - in this case, he wouldn't even have been filling a hole using money earned from previous transfers, he would be spending over and beyond previous acquisitions without much by way of incoming money from sales to balance it out.

Still *very, very* difficult to make that point with any degree of conviction, imo.

Now when we talk about the deadline day of Jan 2011, a season where it was our first in the Champions League, Our strikers were Crouch, Defoe and Pavlyuchenko. Levy had just the transfer window before picked up VdV on the last day of the transfer window. A relatively iconic player at least as far as what we had been able to attract thus far. Redknapp was saying he needed a top quality player, someone who would lift the club and really make us challenge for the title. So what does Levy need to do? If he were to buy a relative unknown, it would be a serious "lack of ambition". No, he thinks he can get another last minute purchase (like he had already done). Because it is last minute, he puts in bids for 3 of the top strikers that could potentially come to us. Now, I don't believe that you ever go into the last day without having got an indication from the players that they are willing to come like the secret footballer laid out as to how a transfer works, but let's go with it. They don't come off, and because fans are so bitterly disappointed that a top player was not signed they accuse Levy of dragging out negotiations. It's all HIS fault that we didn't sign anyone, and actually in this case they were completely fake bids, designed to placate the fans and show that we were at least trying.

Again, I refer you to the Moutinho - Aguero dynamic above. Levy balked over paying 24m after a summer in which he'd banked quite a bit money from sales anyway, and left the window without filling a hole in the squad. Yet, a couple of years earlier, he apparently he saw fit to sanction not one, not two, but *three* simultaneous bids of over 30m on the same day, for players who wouldn't fill a hole but actually *add* to the side, smashing our previous transfer record (and the British transfer record as a whole up to that point) - and was apparently 100% prepared to enter into negotiations on all three bids in good faith at the same time, were they to be accepted or negotiated.

Is it fair to make the argument that those bids were in good faith, given those circumstances?

Quite how we get to it is a fake bid is quite ridiculous. It's based on a premise that a set of fans think that he believes fans are so stupid that they will be happy with a "at least we tried approach". You and I both know this is not the case. The fans are not so forgiving. If anything it makes them more angry than if he didn't make a bid in the first place.

But that's the point here - our fans are actually pretty divided on being forgiving, to the point where people are *perfectly willing* to believe that he did make those bids - whether or not that's actually the case. You, for instance - and I know your view is shared by many others here, in that you believe that he did try and they do too. So clearly, it *does* work on many of our fans - so why wouldn't he try it when faced with simmering discontent over a miserly January transfer window in 2011?

I'm sorry, but in these situations where there is NO evidence to know exactly what has happened, I would prefer to believe that Levy is just trying to do his best. In negotiations and attempts, things work out or they don't. In his case they work out more often than not, so that leaves me to believe that he does have out best interests at heart. You, on the other hand, would rather believe that he is is a penny pincher. He has no intention of actually going through with a bid for 3 strikers. He was just putting on a show.

Yes. At least, he was then. I do not believe that, given the circumstances, those bids were anything other than shows designed to placate a fanbase upset that we hadn't strengthened from a position of superiority when we had the chance. That ties into the other point I'm trying to make, which is that you *prefer* to believe that he made a good-faith bid back then, but when arguing on what little information we have, that position ends up being based more on your preferences than the little data available to us - *imo* (and only in this instance - no allusion made to any other arguments we may have had, which exist on their own merits. ;) ).

And this goes back to my point. With that belief, the guy cannot win. He puts in a bid, it is a fake bid. He doesn't put in a bid (or at least we don't find out that he puts in a bid) he is not showing enough ambition. A player refuses us, Levy is not paying enough wages. If Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, Liverpool or Arsenal can do it, why can't we.

No club wins all of the time when it comes to transfers and our record speaks for itself. We probably have the most successful transfer strategy when it comes to value for money than any other club. Yet because we cannot compete with clubs that have at least one and a half times our turnover, Levy is to blame.

Levy is to blame for what happened in January 2011. That is 99% the case in my mind - I mentioned in the initial post that you made reasonable posts elsewhere, and that holds true too. Levy's overall strategy from 2001 to 2017 is far more multifaceted than a simple case of 100% failure or 100% success, and I personally don't think I've claimed the contrary no matter how stupid the strawmen conjured up by *certain posters* (Cough, @parklane1, cough :p ) are. But in this one particular case, in January 2011, I think it was a case of Levy being to blame. Absolutely.

Yes, no one knows why Moutino broke down, but I'm not sure your objections to my use of his transfer as an example buttress your point, either. You say that it could have been because Porto were asking for too much, or Moutinho's agent was asking for too much - fair enough, but in that case, that makes the prospect of us being willing to spend on Aguero back in 2011 even *more* unlikely, don't you think? Aguero would have asked for more by way of wages than Moutinho would have - we were also apparently trying to trigger his release clause of *38.5m*, which would have been a) a British transfer *record* back then, and b) all payable up front, because that's how release clauses work.

And all that would have had to happen in one day, much like the Moutinho transfer. If Levy had to *stretch* himself to accomodate a bid of 24m pounds plus whatever wages Moutinho asked for, and that approach *still* failed - it's hard to see him being equally willing to suddenly pay 38.5m upfront, no questions asked, plus obediently acquiesce to Aguero's wage demands. Especially since, to take the point even further, Levy haggled so much over Moutinho *after* a summer in which he'd sold our best player to Real Madrid (no choice, really) and needed a playmaker to replace him - in this case, he wouldn't even have been filling a hole using money earned from previous transfers, he would be spending over and beyond previous acquisitions without much by way of incoming money from sales to balance it out.

Still *very, very* difficult to make that point with any degree of conviction, imo.

Not really, they are two different players. Levy's preference is to buy young players with significant upside opportunity. Aguero as a younger, more prolific striker would command a much higher premium. So just because Levy would be willing to spend £30m+ on Aguero doesn't mean that he would be willing to spend £10m on Peter Crouch or £20 odd million on Coutinho. The point is every transfer is independent of another and Levy is not sat there thinking I have £30m burning a whole in my pocket let me spend it on any player that comes along. Rather, there would be some sort of business case attached to each transfer with risks etc.... and that will dictate how much he would be willing to spend.

Again, I refer you to the Moutinho - Aguero dynamic above. Levy balked over paying 24m after a summer in which he'd banked quite a bit money from sales anyway, and left the window without filling a hole in the squad. Yet, a couple of years earlier, he apparently he saw fit to sanction not one, not two, but *three* simultaneous bids of over 30m on the same day, for players who wouldn't fill a hole but actually *add* to the side, smashing our previous transfer record (and the British transfer record as a whole up to that point) - and was apparently 100% prepared to enter into negotiations on all three bids in good faith at the same time, were they to be accepted or negotiated.

Is it fair to make the argument that those bids were in good faith, given those circumstances?

Yes, because a lot can happen in that time period. The belief that there is a pot of money set aside for transfers is overly simplistic. He doesn't just say here you go Poch, spend this money. Every player will be determined on their qualities including affordability, our desperation, the selling club's desperation and the player's desperation. Sanctioning 3 bids could have been 1 firm bid and 2 enquiries. I certainly don't believe that Levy would have bought any more than one of those players.

But that's the point here - our fans are actually pretty divided on being forgiving, to the point where people are *perfectly willing* to believe that he did make those bids - whether or not that's actually the case. You, for instance - and I know your view is shared by many others here, in that you believe that he did try and they do too. So clearly, it *does* work on many of our fans - so why wouldn't he try it when faced with simmering discontent over a miserly January transfer window in 2011?

I really don't think that it is. I did not praise Levy any more for making a bid because I didn't have a problem with him not making huge purchases. Yeah sure, I would love to have superstar players, but I am a realist and I can understand why he is taking the approach that he is doing. In the course of that you will win some transfers and lose some transfers. It is that binary, yet to accuse someone of wasting his own time and everyone elses by making false bids is just, in my mind, looking for any reason to criticise him. Especially if the only gain is that he could have placated a proportion of fans who probably weren't the section of fans that are making the most amount of noise about a lack of signings.

Yes. At least, he was then. I do not believe that, given the circumstances, those bids were anything other than shows designed to placate a fanbase upset that we hadn't strengthened from a position of superiority when we had the chance. That ties into the other point I'm trying to make, which is that you *prefer* to believe that he made a good-faith bid back then, but when arguing on what little information we have, that position ends up being based more on your preferences than the little data available to us - *imo* (and only in this instance - no allusion made to any other arguments we may have had, which exist on their own merits. ;) ).

Levy is to blame for what happened in January 2011. That is 99% the case in my mind - I mentioned in the initial post that you made reasonable posts elsewhere, and that holds true too. Levy's overall strategy from 2001 to 2017 is far more multifaceted than a simple case of 100% failure or 100% success, and I personally don't think I've claimed the contrary no matter how stupid the strawmen conjured up by *certain posters* (Cough, @parklane1, cough :p ) are. But in this one particular case, in January 2011, I think it was a case of Levy being to blame. Absolutely.

I do prefer to believe that the he made these bids in good faith, because there is no evidence beyond supposition to suggest that the alternative is true. Innocent until proven guilty not guilty until proven innocent. And that is the real issue here. On the one side there is a set of fans that presume Levy is working in the best interests of the club and where there is a benefit of doubt to be given, give it based on the success that he has achieved with this club since he has bought it. Then there is another set of fans that presume Levy is a penny pincher, is always looking to hoodwink the fans, is only in this business to make a fortune and move on and doesn't give one brick about the club, so when there is the chance to give him the benefit of the doubt, they don't and instead criticise the man for daring to purchase a world class striker. With one set of fans he wins more often than not, and with the other he can't win. Not until Aguero or another superstar footballer is signed that we have beaten Man United and the rest to.

We have in recent times been fortunate enough to see some real world class players: Berbatov, Modric, Bale, VdV, King, Kane, Alli and some other pretty special players like Walker and Rose. Levy deserves credit for these and these are the evidence of where we have made the most success from transfers. When we have spent big (Rebrov, Sissoko, Bentley, Soldado) it has invariably not worked out. We cannot afford to make many of those types of mistakes as we do not have the financial wherewithal. Yet, people feel it absolutely fine to criticise a man for not "showing ambition". The man has got us from midtable -relegation to challenging for the title, best training ground in the country and about to have the best stadium in the country, and yet he is some machevelian cheat who places fake bids to placate a fan base. I'm sorry, but winners don't do that brick.

Back