• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Another shooting in Murica

So, the "well organised armed malitia" decided to use a car to kill people.

I guess its not a surprise - the inconvenient truth that America was founded by terrorists now adopted modern terrorisms weapon of choice

Stock prices for gun manufacturers are soaring as more people are expected to buy guns for protection. More profits to spend on politicians in exchange for their support.

Stock prices for gun manufacturers are soaring as more people are expected to buy guns for protection. More profits to spend on politicians in exchange for their support.

While I don't doubt that guns sales will go up, I thought this was because people will be (falsely) convinced that the U.S. government is now going to do something about gun control, so they rush out and get guns number 23 through 30 while they still can. The other thing that usually increases after these sorts of mass shootings is donations to the NRA.

the only gun legislation in congress currently is to make it easier for people to buy silencers which of course would have resulted in more deaths in vegas without the load ratatat sound of an automatic weapon, and apparently the NRA have developed an algorithm which works out how long they have to endure gun legislation cries after major incidents, according to their data, this tragedy will last 8 days before people forget about it and move on to something else.

Here's a stat for you: Since 1970, more people have been killed by guns in the US, than the total number of US wartime casualties ever. Back to, and including, the civil war.

It's a big country, but those stats are fudging nuts. How the hell do the NRA explain them? The good old "guns don't kill, people do" line?
Last time I checked (some time ago), the line was that most of those events happen with the gun in the hands of someone who has it illegally. Either by stealing it or buying it on the black market. They probably include falsified statements on application in there too though.

Last time I checked (some time ago), the line was that most of those events happen with the gun in the hands of someone who has it illegally. Either by stealing it or buying it on the black market. They probably include falsified statements on application in there too though.
That argument obviously doesn't hold up to any real scrutiny. (Not saying you believe it does).

Ultimately that doesn't really matter as it's more about emotional arguments and having plausible comebacks. Not actually an intellectual pursuit of truth. And more about a public opinion face to a big industry lobbying cause than a real grassroots movement.

That argument obviously doesn't hold up to any real scrutiny. (Not saying you believe it does).

Ultimately that doesn't really matter as it's more about emotional arguments and having plausible comebacks. Not actually an intellectual pursuit of truth. And more about a public opinion face to a big industry lobbying cause than a real grassroots movement.
No, I don't buy it at all. That said, if I lived in the US I'd own a gun because anyone breaking into my house/car probably would too. Doesn't help the situation at all but fudge not being armed when criminals are.

The real problem now, IMO, is how do you get from the current situation to one where guns are reduced, controlled and eventually outlawed?

I think it was the Freakonomics guys that studied the effect of introducing gun control once there are so many out there. It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

No, I don't buy it at all. That said, if I lived in the US I'd own a gun because anyone breaking into my house/car probably would too. Doesn't help the situation at all but fudge not being armed when criminals are.

The real problem now, IMO, is how do you get from the current situation to one where guns are reduced, controlled and eventually outlawed?

I think it was the Freakonomics guys that studied the effect of introducing gun control once there are so many out there. It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

How did gun ownership in Australia compare as this is the example that is mainly used when talking about banning them?

They are protection though, aren't they.

If someone breaks into my home, I'd rather be the one bringing a gun to a knife fight than the other way around.

But you'll be bringing a gun to a gunfight, and you end up dead because you aren't fudging insane and ready to shoot a person just because they want your TV.

I'd waste my money on stun grenades instead, how's that for a scenario? Stun the perp, kick his ass and hand him over to the cops all tight up on the back of yer pickup truck.

Back