• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Cheers for that, a good read indeed.

Yeah, nothing revolutionary but incredibly well written and well balanced. I think the journalist is the American who picked spurs as his team 4 or so years ago.

Sent from my HTC One using Fapatalk 4

AVB looks like he can organise and motivate a team...........now he has to bring out the creativity and movement in his attacking players. Big job ahead

avbworlddancemergearl18.gif

What is BGC?

Edit: Also what is going on with AVB's hooter? It seems to grow bigger every photo!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thematch/id/214?cc=4716

Andre Villas-Boas promised before this game that the end of the transfer window would represent a "new start" for Spurs, and this handsome 2-0 win over Norwich certainly featured a lot of firsts: that first goal from something other than a penalty, a first appearance for the exceptional Christian Eriksen and -- most importantly of all -- a first glimpse of what looks like an extremely exciting future. It was difficult not to be impressed.

Sure, this was not a completely new team, emphasised by the fact that Gylfi Sigurdsson scored both goals and illustrated by the curiosity that Villas-Boas started only three of his seven summer signings. It was the latest of those purchases that did most of the damage, however, as Eriksen's exquisite economy of touch reflected the team's more assertive style of play. In an informal moment just before Villas-Boas' news conference, one journalist voiced his admiration for the side's display. The Tottenham manager seemed genuinely touched. "Thank you, thank you," he replied. "It's very much appreciated."

You could see in the interviews after the game how happy and pleased he was.
RIght at his core he just seemed to express joy that his team was starting to do what he has planned.

How many clean sheets did we keep last season? I guarantee that we'll keep more clean sheets this season. We can totally control games, leaving the opposition without scope for good attacks. Loving the way that the side is developing now.

I'm thinking 4231 may be better for us than 433, as long as we can keep up the kind of performances we managed yesterday. It allows us to get the best out of Eriksen, and Dembele too which I feel is important.

Dembele seems to function better when he is slightly deeper in the 4231 and doesn't have as much responsibility of making something happen higher up the pitch. He can take the ball from the defence and commit players allowing more space for Eriksen to feed the ball to him. Obviously Eriksen is best in a number ten role and not shunted to the left.

Also I think it's good for Sig actually to be on the left. He can pick a pass but I think he just isn't quite nimble enough to play the number ten role, the game can be too easily slowed with him. On the left though he can cut in to get goals as well as provide good crosses. Him and Chadli are on a fairly similar level and that sort of competition should hopefully bring most of them up to improve.

The real interesting thing is what do we do with Lennon? After Townsend there is Lamela, but I'm just not sure that type of performance of the wingers cutting in to make space for the full backs can work with Lennon's game unless he is moved to the left.

I think Lennon is a victim in the change of style. As said, unless we use him as a traditional style, stay wide, winger then he'll fail to come back in to the side.

Lamela will soon back the right wing position his own. The fight for reserve will fall between Lennon and Townsend. And although I prefer Lennon, partly due to his history with us and partly as I think Townsend can shoot too often when a pass would be better, I can only see Lennon being the one out of favour with AVB.

I like Lennon but he has injury problems and unless he has a change in attitude and starts wanting to score more I can't see him staying here.

I wont put a dampener on things but there have been too many times under AVB where we have produced a very good performance one which was full of creativity and style with a certain impetus. There have also been many many times where we have lacked ideas, devoid of creativity and ultimately looked disjointed. Im not going to jump on any bandwagon - afterall its more than one game against Norwich.

I wont put a dampener on things but there have been too many times under AVB where we have produced a very good performance one which was full of creativity and style with a certain impetus. There have also been many many times where we have lacked ideas, devoid of creativity and ultimately looked disjointed. Im not going to jump on any bandwagon - afterall its more than one game against Norwich.

True, and we looked great at home to Inter last season but poor too often for other games.

Our biggest weakness has been our inability to break down well organized hard working sides that rarely let out counter attack. This is probably one of the hardest things in football and something most teams struggle with so it's not big surprise.

As has been said before with the amount of changes we went through last summer it seems quite likely that AVB focused on making us hard to beat first of all. Yes we relied on Bale a lot, probably too much, but under the circumstanced it was fine.

Now we're seeing the next step in our progression I hope. With the additions we've made this summer I think we'll see us improve in this area too. Just one game like you point out, but the Norwich performance was very good. As AVB has pointed out the two penalties we have gotten might at least partly have been a result of us getting into the box more.

Back