• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Aaron Lennon

Lennon is easily a better player than Townsend is (for the moment).

I also think people forget how much he adds to the side by just staying our wide, stretching the field a bit and adding pace. He can also play both sides.

And I think with Soldado/Paulinho in the side, you will realize the myth of Lennon's poor crossing, it's more our player don't get in the right areas at the right times. Watch any other winger/midfielder cross the ball at pace from out wide, a big percentage goes into row Z, Lennon almost never does that.

Lennon's may not go into row Z but rarely do they find a team-mate

Lennon is easily a better player than Townsend is (for the moment).

I also think people forget how much he adds to the side by just staying our wide, stretching the field a bit and adding pace. He can also play both sides.

And I think with Soldado/Paulinho in the side, you will realize the myth of Lennon's poor crossing, it's more our player don't get in the right areas at the right times. Watch any other winger/midfielder cross the ball at pace from out wide, a big percentage goes into row Z, Lennon almost never does that.

I think most agree Lennon is a very good player. He works hard and has good technique. But AVB's preferred system seems to be that our full backs provide width and our wingers come inside on their stronger foot to offer a different threat. You'd imagine based on this that Lennon would now start on the left, where he hasnt really excelled before. Its almost like he'd have to reinvent himself at this stage of his career to fit in our system. The question is can he?

I can remember some great goals Lennon has scored from the left, Fulham away, Birmingham home, Saudi Sportswashing Machine away i think are 3 examples!

This is where I see him playing!

Also remember the cup game under Jol at Chelsea when he played behind Berba in the hole, was a great performance!

Lennon is a very good player to have and I'd like to think he would be about mr hit and hope townsend!

The quality difference between Lennon and Townsend is overstated. Andros is by far the more proactive and direct (and admittedly wasteful). He will keep trying to get into dangerous situations and has no fear of taking the chance himself. Something that Lennon is loathe to do, he doesn't have the confidence in his own technique to take the shot, or make that pass.

Townsend as much as pretty everyone will disagree has better vision and range of passes either foot than Lennon. Think of his dinked left foot cross for Paulinho's goal in the EL, or in the same match he whizzed a couple of dangerous low right foot crosses. Or also think of the reverse dink through ball he played For Soldadao against Norwich (Soldadao was unfortunately offside). Lennon couldn't play a pass like that and never has, he lacks the technique and belief in himself to do so.

I'm getting the "hes better when hes not playing" vibe with Lennon everyone talks about him at the apex of his form as seen in 09/10 but that was half a season and we haven't seen it since. If we asses his actual performances, competition and replacement is somewhat overdue. Now whether Lamela or Townsend confine him to the bench is up to them and also how he responds.

Lennon Vs Townsend fast becoming the new Keane Vs Defoe argument

Townsends an exciting prospect and Lennon is a seasoned Spurs stalwart - both worth their place in the squad for the time being.

Lennon Vs Townsend fast becoming the new Keane Vs Defoe argument

Townsends an exciting prospect and Lennon is a seasoned Spurs stalwart - both worth their place in the squad for the time being.

Not exactly, when we have three players fighting for one place.

Lennon could have been so good, he had the potential. He hasn't matured as much as I hoped he would. Townsend has the potential to be better in my view, he seems so much more enthusiastic going forwards. Hopefully he will learn and improve.

For me lennon was always at his best when running at top speed with space in front. However Walker always seemed to overlap and take up his space. He is useless when receiving the ball too far up the pitch. This was a problem when our midfield took too long to release a simple ball to let him loose. Lennon often adopted good wide positions, only to be ignored, or only passed to when he was closed down.

Not exactly, when we have three players fighting for one place.

Lennon could have been so good, he had the potential. He hasn't matured as much as I hoped he would. Townsend has the potential to be better in my view, he seems so much more enthusiastic going forwards. Hopefully he will learn and improve.

I think once the four wingers are settled/fit we'll see Lennon in front of Townsend in the pecking order and possibly both behind Chadli. With Siggurdsson dropping back as Eriksens back up

Lennon looks a class above Townsend.

Townsend looks lower PL at best, possibly Championship. Has not been involved in any of our goals . Lamela did more with one quick pass than all Townsend's huff and puff.

Lennon looks a class above Townsend.

Townsend looks lower PL at best, possibly Championship. Has not been involved in any of our goals . Lamela did more with one quick pass than all Townsend's huff and puff.

The same was said about huddlestone, championship player!!! He did alright in the champs league considering!

I like Lennon and I like Townsend, I think they're both very good players. Why is it so difficult to praise one without ****ting on the other?

The same was said about huddlestone, championship player!!! He did alright in the champs league considering!

I like Lennon and I like Townsend, I think they're both very good players. Why is it so difficult to praise one without ****ting on the other?

Certainly played well against Young Boys

The quality difference between Lennon and Townsend is overstated. Andros is by far the more proactive and direct (and admittedly wasteful). He will keep trying to get into dangerous situations and has no fear of taking the chance himself. Something that Lennon is loathe to do, he doesn't have the confidence in his own technique to take the shot, or make that pass.

Townsend as much as pretty everyone will disagree has better vision and range of passes either foot than Lennon. Think of his dinked left foot cross for Paulinho's goal in the EL, or in the same match he whizzed a couple of dangerous low right foot crosses. Or also think of the reverse dink through ball he played For Soldadao against Norwich (Soldadao was unfortunately offside). Lennon couldn't play a pass like that and never has, he lacks the technique and belief in himself to do so.

I'm getting the "hes better when hes not playing" vibe with Lennon everyone talks about him at the apex of his form as seen in 09/10 but that was half a season and we haven't seen it since. If we asses his actual performances, competition and replacement is somewhat overdue. Now whether Lamela or Townsend confine him to the bench is up to them and also how he responds.

You are right, most people would disagree, I've seen nothing from Townsend that shows a better range of passing, but just my view.

For me, Townsend naturally does what Lennon needs to be encouraged to do, which is take on the defender, use your natural pace, make the defense uncomfortable, draw fouls, draw extra defenders.

The issue is a PL game is not Townsend's personal stage, honestly 4, 5, 6 shots on goal, usually directly at keeper is unacceptable at this level unless you have no other option. He needs to be a team player, think 3 passes, 1 shot, not shot, shot, shot, oh wait I have teammates? still shoot.

Honestly Lennon needs to respond, but suspect we may seem him simply because he's a little more flexible in terms of being able to play on left, either way it's a long cry from the days of if Lennon got injury the whole pace and width of team died.

if there's a game that I'd like to see Lennon start its this one at home to Chelsea.

Big Lennon fan (see previous posts), but he's never at his best in his first 3-5 games back from injury.

We will need everyone at their best on Saturday, I hope AVB plays fit/form players over any other criteria.

How about we play Lennon and Townsend would make for interesting match. Certainly make FB's quiver in fear if they began interchanging positions.

For some reason Townsend's clever little dinks and chips from the byline and intelligent through-balls into the box for a Paulinho or Soldado to run onto seem to go entirely unnoticed by most Spurs fans.

Maybe because they're still catatonic with rage at the last shot he had a few minutes earlier that wasn't quite Bale enough to go right into the top far corner. :lol:

I'm so happy we are now in a position were we don't miss Lennon badly when he's out injured, because he's our only option out wide.

Instead we have him as a top quality backup when he gets fit, and don't have to rush him back into the side.

Great times indeed.

Back