• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings - Swansea

milo

Jack L. Jones
milo submitted a new blog post

Match ratings - Swansea

Back on winning ways

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone excelled, but we looked more energetic than on Sunday.

Really? wow, watched the game from recording (so knew score), a few points

- We could have been way out of sight, 3-2 was extremely flattering to Swansea
- Lots of energy, very pretty football, a little more luck/clinical and we would have been clear.

- Eriksen, especially is 2nd half was great
- 1st time I've seen us bring on 3 subs and it not interrupt our game at all
- Chadli looking closer to his form.
- Players had license to shoot, mostly from sensible positioning, even Dembele went for it.
- Mason & Townsend were absolutely pumped to score .. the delight is awesome to see.

The takeaway for me is, any side (and I mean that) that tries to play football with us, we will dominate

Lloris 7 - plain unlucky the first went between his legs from close range, little he could do about that but made up for it with a stunning save at the death; seems to manage a worldie almost every game these days

Walker 7 - decent job at the back although unable to prevent the cross for their second; went close at the other end with a couple of decent efforts

Dier 6 - conceded the fk (and a booking) that ultimately led to Ki's goal, otherwise mainly impressive

Verthonghen 5 - got done by Ki with a wild lunge for their first and generally looked sloppy

Rose 8 - impressive all-round. Got forward well and produced excellent crosses including a brilliant assist for Chadli's goal; didn't put a foot wrong at the back either

Mason 8 - Spurs MotM for me. Got in amongst them all over the park, passing was up a couple of notches from his normal game and his goal was superbly taken. Has an outstanding engine, this was probably his best game ever in a Spurs shirt

Bentaleb 7 - not quite up to the level of recent performances but still pretty impresssive

Townsend 7 - usual mix of the good, the bad and the downright awful, yielded possession dangerously a couple of times by overdoing it, but for once it was the good that tipped the scales with a couple of decent crosses and a superb solo run and goal

Eriksen 7 - welcome return to form following a bit of a dodgy spell, excellent assist for Mason's goal; those delightfully delicate touches are starting to come off once again

Chadli 7 - looked much more up for it last night, what a sublime connection that was for our opening goal!

Kane 6 - a shadow of the prodigious player we've been marvelling at until recently; the inevitable dip in form we all anticipated appears to be with us

Subs

Dembele 6 - strong in possession as always

Soldado 6 - really unlucky with a couple of efforts but failed to press at the outset of the move that led to Swansea' second

Davies 6 - unfairly blamed for Swansea's second because he was already tracking another Swansea forward into the box when the cross came in; Sigurdsson, who appeared from a long way back just at the right moment, probably should have been picked up by either Chadli or one of our CMs

Poch 9 - deserves credit for not only sticking with the same starting line-up as for Sunday's final but also getting them right back up for this game, got the subs pretty much spot on too.

Lloris 7 - plain unlucky the first went between his legs from close range, little he could do about that but made up for it with a stunning save at the death; seems to manage a worldie almost every game these days

Walker 7 - decent job at the back although unable to prevent the cross for their second; went close at the other end with a couple of decent efforts

Dier 6 - conceded the fk (and a booking) that ultimately led to Ki's goal, otherwise mainly impressive

Verthonghen 5 - got done by Ki with a wild lunge for their first and generally looked sloppy

Rose 8 - impressive all-round. Got forward well and produced excellent crosses including a brilliant assist for Chadli's goal; didn't put a foot wrong at the back either

Mason 8 - Spurs MotM for me. Got in amongst them all over the park, passing was up a couple of notches from his normal game and his goal was superbly taken. Has an outstanding engine, this was probably his best game ever in a Spurs shirt

Bentaleb 7 - not quite up to the level of recent performances but still pretty impresssive

Townsend 7 - usual mix of the good, the bad and the downright awful, yielded possession dangerously a couple of times by overdoing it, but for once it was the good that tipped the scales with a couple of decent crosses and a superb solo run and goal

Eriksen 7 - welcome return to form following a bit of a dodgy spell, excellent assist for Mason's goal; those delightfully delicate touches are starting to come off once again

Chadli 7 - looked much more up for it last night, what a sublime connection that was for our opening goal!

Kane 6 - a shadow of the prodigious player we've been marvelling at until recently; the inevitable dip in form we all anticipated appears to be with us

Subs

Dembele 6 - strong in possession as always

Soldado 6 - really unlucky with a couple of efforts but failed to press at the outset of the move that led to Swansea' second

Davies 6 - unfairly blamed for Swansea's second because he was already tracking another Swansea forward into the box when the cross came in; Sigurdsson, who appeared from a long way back just at the right moment, probably should have been picked up by either Chadli or one of our CMs

Poch 9 - deserves credit for not only sticking with the same starting line-up as for Sunday's final but also getting them right back up for this game, got the subs pretty much spot on too.

Similar for me:

8 - Mason, Rose
7 - Lloris, Bentaleb, Chadli, Eriksen, Soldado
6 - Walker, Dier, Verts, Townsend, Kane, Dembele, Davies

Lloris - 8 - Not involved that much but when needed he was aware and got down well. He saved us a goal
Walker - 6 - Needs to work on closing his men off better. His technique to stop them crossing is average at best. I would have prefer it if he would grab some shirt or something.
Dier - 6- Not one of his best games. But better Than Verts.
Verts - 5 - Done for their first, nowhere for their second and trying to head the ball in the wront position for their almost 3rd.
Mason - 8 -All over the pitch. high energy. And a well take goal following up Eriksen.
Benteleb - 7 - Even when he is not playing that well he is still very important to the team. Quick passing and possesion.
Chadli - 7 - Got a good goal. But needs to threaten their full backs more.
Eriksen - 8- Some lovel touches and runs.
Townsend - 7- Nice run for the goal. Nice work rate. Needs to work on his crossing from the right.
Kane - 5 - Looks really tired. Just an off game for him.

Subs:
Dembele - 6 - Some nice possesion and thats it.
Soldado - 5- One of his shoulder that almost went in. And I thought he could have read davies pass earlier.
Davies - 5 - All at sea for their second. Too laid back.

Some of the ratings for Townsend are embarrassing. If Lamela would have scored that goal people would be creaming themselves. He did lose possession on some occasions but he also had some great crosses in and almost scored in first half as well.

Lloris - 7

Walker - 7
Dier - 6
Vertonghen - 6
Rose - 8

Townsend - 6
Mason - 8
Bentaleb - 8
Chadli - 7

Eriksen - 7
Kane - 6

lloris was poor and again beaten at hes near post. how many muck ups has he done lately.
who gave dier a lower score then verts lol talk about having favorites verts was poor again and walker job is to stop crosses yet he did not do that

Lloris 7 - plain unlucky the first went between his legs from close range, little he could do about that.

I think I'd disagree there. Rather than bad luck, it was poor goalkeeping to my eye. Given the angle, he should have done better, and I think he'd tell you that. I do recall being irked at the time because we let another 1-0 slip away, but I think he probably saves that 9 times out of 10. I'm going to watch the game again, but it also seemed to me at the time that he flapped at some balls unnecessarily elsewhere in the game. But yes, excellent save right at the end.

Last edited:
I think I'd disagree there. Rather than bad luck, it was poor goalkeeping to my eye. Given the angle, he should have done better, and I think he'd tell you that. I do recall being irked at the time because we let another 1-0 slip away, but I think he probably saves that 9 times out of 10. I'm going to watch the game again, but it also seemed to me at the time that he flapped at some balls unnecessarily elsewhere in the game. But yes, excellent save right at the end.
Exactly how could he have done better? He was just three yards away when the shot went through his legs. How often do we hear it claimed that a player has no chance to react from such close range? Yes his feet were spread, that is the universal position that goalies adopt when one-on-one, he is trying to make himself as big an obstacle as possible.

Imo you are being absurdly harsh.

fudge me .. people are having a go at Lloris?

fudgeing Spurs fans some days ...

I suppose within the relative context of you and this forum, I am. Then again, I've been quietly reading with interest your criticims of other players. I think its possible I may actually rate him a better keeper than you do. I'm a big fan of Loris and I think he's a big reason (maybe bigger than some realize) that we are in the position we are. Anyway, as I said (in vain) I'll watch the game again. But at first glance, I've seen some keepers from that angle make that save before. And I've read some commentaries today on football sites (all misguided I'm sure) that say the same thing. Keepers don't usually like it 'between the legs', so to speak.

The best keeper I've ever seen at this club was Pat Jennings. Yet I still critiqued him, and his mistakes, game to game. Some fudging Spurs fans, huh? Were you around back then?

Anyhoo, maybe we disagree, on variance, on one particular game. Not sure I've ever criticized Loris before. (Well I have, along with others, but not on this site.) I'll be watching more closely what you say about other players in here though, both going forward, and maybe in the past. ;)

Last edited:
The best keeper I've ever seen at this club was Pat Jennings. Yet I still critiqued him, and his mistakes, game to game. Some fudging Spurs fans, huh? Were you around back then?
;)

Ha! And were you around for the likes of Eddie Bailey, Ronnie Burgess, Alf Ramsey and Georgie Robb?

But Pat Jennings, yeah, what a keeper. For sure he was especially prone to howlers in his very early days. Wasn't too long before he was keeping regular clean sheets though. Out of interest I checked the records over his first three seasons with us 1964-65, 1965-66 and 1966-67: just 14 clean sheets in his first 65 appearances (all competitions), then an amazing 19 in his next 32 when his extraordinary heroics helped us to third in the League and an FA Cup triumph over Chelsea.

Although I didn't see the game myself, it is interesting to note that Spurs Web gave Townsend a 9 and made him Man of the Match. At significant variance therefore from some of the comments on here!!!!!!

I suppose within the relative context of you and this forum, I am. Then again, I've been quietly reading with interest your criticims of other players. I think its possible I may actually rate him a better keeper than you do. I'm a big fan of Loris and I think he's a big reason (maybe bigger than some realize) that we are in the position we are. Anyway, as I said (in vain) I'll watch the game again. But at first glance, I've seen some keepers from that angle make that save before. And I've read some commentaries today on football sites (all misguided I'm sure) that say the same thing. Keepers don't usually like it 'between the legs', so to speak.

Anyhoo, maybe we disagree, on variance, on one particular game. Not sure I've ever criticized Loris before. (Well I have, along with others, but not on this site.) I'll be watching more closely what you say about other players in here though, both going forward, and maybe in the past. ;)

Mate, all players make mistakes .. even the greatest to ever play the game. My opinion (and it's exactly/just that, opinion) is some players earn a pass on the occasional mistake.

Kane/Eriksen/Lloris have carried this side all season (to your point, who knows where we would be without those performances), the odd mistake or bad day at office is not even worth a comment.

Specific to both goals Lloris conceded, the defense didn't offer enough cover, Verts should have cleared the first one, and Siggy should never be unmarked in open, within shooting range. I'm sure Lloris is unhappy to have conceded, I'm just not sure its worthwhile criticism to say "should have done better"

If I misread your comment, and it was just a legitimate questioning of the goal vs. a go at Lloris, my apologies, but some of the stuff on this board is OTT at time. Feel free to look at my comments about players, I try (don't always succeed) to be reasonable.

Back