1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

2022 World Cup... gonna ruin the European Season

Discussion in 'General Football' started by Bedfordspurs, 13 Jul 2018.

1. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ian Walker

2. MKSpur

MKSpur Milenko Acimovic

How the fudge is this going to work? All these worldwide footballing playing associations and other sporting events affected by a country that not only doesn’t play football but is not a place anyone would want to visit. We’ll have a mid season break, a transfer window just after the World Cup and then end up playing into the summer!!

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  3. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ian Walker

Dunno
    Bizarrely I was just in MK when I read it

4. MKSpur

MKSpur Milenko Acimovic

Haha. I haven’t lived there for a long time and wish I’d picked a different user name! GreenwichSpur if a mod can change it

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  5. galeforce

galeforce Steve Sedgley

They’ll just send youth teams to the WC.

6. Spurs7891

Spurs7891 Jonathan Woodgate

Don't blame Qatar or FIFA. They originally wanted to hold the World Cup in June-July but some people complained it will be too hot in Qatar during that time. So, now they have moved to November-December and people are still complaining. Of course, June-July period is the best time for any World Cup. Having it in November-December means we have to wait extra 5 months. Also, it will clash with most European leagues including PL. Not sure how players will react to having the World Cup in mid season instead of end of season. I think the only people who will benefit most from having the World Cup in November-December are those who plan their holidays at end of the year and school children who normally have year end break.

7. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Milija Aleksic

I thought it was already announced that it would be at the end of the year? Or is the news just the exact dates now being known?

ricky2tricky4city and galeforce like this.
  8. Spurs7891

The exact dates were announced a few weeks or months ago I think. They are just confirming it now.

9. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ian Walker

All been speculation until now

In England that period equates to 8 league games, 5 european games and a league cup game or 3

The games here would be suspended so it causes huge problems all round and is something that FIFA will not make an excuse for

10. milo

milo Garth Crooks Staff Member

It was always inevitable once Qatar were awarded it. I assume that the European leagues will just have a mid-season break to allow for the tournament and start the seasons earlier and end them later.

Who'd thought that Qatar's promise of air conditioned stadiums turned out to be gonads.

Robbo likes this.
  11. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

I still think it will all unravel and it will be hosted by a different country. Perhaps even England, as we have the infrastructure to hold one tomorrow

Mikey10 likes this.
  12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ian Walker

They would then have to pay the bungs back... not gonna happen

Robbo likes this.
  13. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Milija Aleksic

Hmm, who else is to blame for this then? World Cup is a summer tournament, if a country can’t host it in the summer then it shouldn’t be considered, no matter how much they are giving FIFA in bribes. They blatantly lied about creating air con stadiums.

What’s your take on the humanitarian issue there as well? Collateral damage?

Edit: @Spurs7891

Last edited: 14 Jul 2018
    Kandi1977, milo, Robbo and 1 other person like this.
  14. Wilheldiva

Wilheldiva Darren Caskey

spot on, its an absolute disgrace that the tournament is being hosted in qatar. a country that holds moral values that could not be any further from the majority of countries that will be taking part in the worldcup.

Robbo, Gazza Dazzla and Bedfordspurs like this.
  15. parklane1

parklane1 Les Medley

upload_2018-7-14_14-35-44.jpeg

Mikey10 and Robbo like this.
  16. Rorschach

Rorschach Jimmy Cantrell

Do clubs have to release their players? Could they just say no?

17. Robbo

Robbo Dean Richards

I'm sure if someone digs far enough back, they'll find statements from FIFA and/or Qatar assuring that this WC will of course take place in June/July as always. Doubters were ridiculed - now look; all of a sudden it's ok to turn the world's biggest sporting event upside down, derailing at least one full season of football in all major footballing competitions with it.

Not to mention the countless, proven human rights violations in Quatar's WC preparations too.

It's a disgrace whichever way you look at it.

18. Legohamster

Legohamster Clint Dempsey

Wont that also have a knock on for the Asian cup? That starts in Jan...

19. Legohamster

Legohamster Clint Dempsey

All the time they are under FIFA they have to release them, or they will be banned for games anyway

What I think MIGHT happen is that we see some retirements and then reversing them after its over.

20. Spurs7891

Sports should not be mixed with politics or any other issues.

A great example of why sports should not be mixed with politics is Malaysia. In the 1970s, Malaysia was one of the top Asian football teams. They did well to qualify to the 1980 Olympics by beating South Korea in the play-off match. But the stupid Malaysian government joined the American-led boycott of the 1980 Olympics, meaning Malaysia didn't get to play in it. It was the turning point for Malasysian football as they never recovered from it. Since then, Malaysia have never came close to qualify for either the Olympics or World Cup. Malaysian football have become the laughing stock of world football, even got damaged by a match-fixing scandal in the 1990s. In contrast, South Korea have went from strength to strength, qualifying for every World Cup and Olympics since 1986. This is why you should not blindly follow the Americans or mix politics into sports ! Malaysia have learned it the hard way !

metalgear likes this.