• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2017/18 Season - Expectations/Predictions

I fully expect us to finish in the top 4 again without a doubt.

Ok we can look at teams around us and say they have improved but we were bloody good last year and this league is not always about whats around you its about the one thing we were crap at but now good at...beating those teams you are meant to beat.

In that respect I think we will continue to be a points machine in picking off Watfords, Bournemouths etc etc

I honestly expect us to compete for the league title. I don't think any team in this league is really any better than we are.

For the cups, I hope we win one, but you always need a bit of luck there. I expect us to get out of the group in the Champions League and then roll the dice after that.

We are going to win the league. We have the best team. Last season we went close, this season we will win it. We will win it by getting a point in our last home game of the season.

Against Leicester? I'd take that. Happily. No, enjoyably. Very enjoyably!

Setting aside 'what is right', its amazing the range of views of people. Usually there's a relatively tight group however this year some people expect us to be genuine title contenders and some think we'll finish 5th/6th. I guess we have the unknowns this year of (i) Wembley and (ii) how much all the mega signings of other teams impact them

I expect to be irritated by the fake sorrow when someone connected with the football world dies and we all have to stand and clap for 2 minutes, the cameras have a couple of times picked up on me looking tinkled off in the crowd, I understand why the cameramen are drawn to me because of my very attractive face, but I wish we did not have to stand and clap for 2 minutes and I wish the cameras would stop focusing on me.

We are going to win the league. We have the best team. Last season we went close, this season we will win it. We will win it by getting a point in our last home game of the season.
86528874.jpg

I think without significant additions we will be competing for 4/5/6 place.

As it stands at the moment.

Chelsea are as strong, or stronger (than last season), although absence of Costa may be a negative for them.
Emirates Marketing Project definitely stronger and Pep has players to play a 3 at the back pressing system properly.
Man U stronger, but not as settled as above two and still not convinced Mourinho has got players/tactics sorted.
Arsenal probably still marginally weaker (than us) -and definitely so if they lose Sanchez.
Liverpool probably stronger than last season -will depend on whether Klopp can get decent and consistent performance from defence and forward and link the two together.

I see our main problems as:
Lack of quality squad depth overall and specifically re one or two positions. Combined with demands of competing in CL and other competitions.
Injuries to key players at start of season.
Challenge of playing season at Wembley -without hugely significant home advantage of WHL.
Poor performance against press and probability of encountering press and 3 at back more often against other teams. We need to be much better at keeping the ball under pressure, and also have practised tactics to counter the press.

Of these I think the loss of the small pitch WHL home advantage will prove most costly. At WHL I would have expected slight underperformance compared to last season's record breaking form. At Wembley instead of 17 wins 2 draws - 53pts, I think we might be looking at more like 32pts - 38pts

No reason why we can't. City will have a soft under belly. Chelsea have the CL. We have one of the best sides in the league. Sure, we need a couple of signings but is anyone naive enough to think we won't sign players between now and start of season. We won 13 out of the last 14 in the league last season so have great league form stemming back. Lastly, why not be optimistic for once.

I think without significant additions we will be competing for 4/5/6 place.

Been saying this all summer - we need 3-4 additions (net) to stand still (ie finish 2nd). Need a CB, a Barkley type who can cover the Dembele role and further forward and an attacker with some pace. Also need a RB to replace Walker

I think we'll end up with Barkley and someone like that German chap as an extra full back.

Been saying this all summer - we need 3-4 additions (net) to stand still (ie finish 2nd). Need a CB, a Barkley type who can cover the Dembele role and further forward and an attacker with some pace. Also need a RB to replace Walker

I think we'll end up with Barkley and someone like that German chap as an extra full back.

You've clearly never seen him play if you think that's ever going to happen.

fudge it, I think we can win the title.

- Let's not forget that last season we scored the most and conceded the least in the league, despite missing Kane, Aldeweireld, Dembele, Rose and Lamela to varyingly significant degrees.
- Chelsea haven't really strengthened - they've just swapped Morata for Costa, Bakayoko for Matic, and Rudiger for Ake / Terry / Zouma / Ivanovic. And they'll surely be less lucky with injuries, as well as having Europe to deal with.
- United have swapped Ibra for Lukaku. They've also brought in another centre back, but that isn't going to help the fact that they scored less goals than Bournemouth last season (and 32 goals less than us).
- Arsenal and Liverpool finished 10 and 11 points behind us last season, and have done nothing really to address their defensive issues.
- Emirates Marketing Project are the biggest threat IMO. They've invested a lot, and look to have a deep, quality, well-rounded squad. But even so, they're a Kompany injury away from struggling defensively again, and as good as their attacking players look on paper, we scored more goals than them last season.

Plus:

- Everyone talks about our difficulties at Wembley, but let's not forget that those difficulties correlated with playing in the Champions League without Tobi, Rose, Dembele, Kane, Vertonghen and Eriksen to varying degrees. If we as fans create an amazing atmosphere at Wembley, and we get a good couple of home results under our belt (not least against Chelsea), maybe it can be just as much a fortress as WHL was last season.

Obviously the above represents a positively-skewed take on things, but I don't think it's inaccurate or deluded. As things stand, I think we will be challenging Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea for the title. How things end up going will depend a lot on injuries across the different teams, and a little bit on luck / randomness (as well as remaining transfer activity - ours in particular).

COYS

fudge it, I think we can win the title.

- Let's not forget that last season we scored the most and conceded the least in the league, despite missing Kane, Aldeweireld, Dembele, Rose and Lamela to varyingly significant degrees.
- Chelsea haven't really strengthened - they've just swapped Morata for Costa, Bakayoko for Matic, and Rudiger for Ake / Terry / Zouma / Ivanovic. And they'll surely be less lucky with injuries, as well as having Europe to deal with.
- United have swapped Ibra for Lukaku. They've also brought in another centre back, but that isn't going to help the fact that they scored less goals than Bournemouth last season (and 32 goals less than us).
- Arsenal and Liverpool finished 10 and 11 points behind us last season, and have done nothing really to address their defensive issues.
- Emirates Marketing Project are the biggest threat IMO. They've invested a lot, and look to have a deep, quality, well-rounded squad. But even so, they're a Kompany injury away from struggling defensively again, and as good as their attacking players look on paper, we scored more goals than them last season.

Plus:

- Everyone talks about our difficulties at Wembley, but let's not forget that those difficulties correlated with playing in the Champions League without Tobi, Rose, Dembele, Kane, Vertonghen and Eriksen to varying degrees. If we as fans create an amazing atmosphere at Wembley, and we get a good couple of home results under our belt (not least against Chelsea), maybe it can be just as much a fortress as WHL was last season.

Obviously the above represents a positively-skewed take on things, but I don't think it's inaccurate or deluded. As things stand, I think we will be challenging Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea for the title. How things end up going will depend a lot on injuries across the different teams, and a little bit on luck / randomness (as well as remaining transfer activity - ours in particular).

COYS

Positive yes, but you have framed it all with context

I've said enough times on here that Wembley may be a problem but judging it on last season doesn't quite work... we conceded almost form every shot on target against us!!! That is beyond extreme

And I agree very much so on your comments on teams upgrading... Chelsea being a very relevant example

Don't feel we have the strength in depth to win the league or even finish top 4. When I look at the bench I dont see any game changers, or any players who are better than the ones on the pitch and I think that is the real problem

Don't feel we have the strength in depth to win the league or even finish top 4. When I look at the bench I dont see any game changers, or any players who are better than the ones on the pitch and I think that is the real problem

i dont think we have the strength in depth to cope with prolonged injuries in certain positions however if we stay injury free or thereabouts for the season then depth shouldn't be too much of an issue (similar to how Chelsea relied on a core of about 14 players last season) if we focus purely on the league. a fully fit squad will see us playing 3421 with Lamela and Son on the bench - these two players (on form) can be classed as game changers imo. if Janssen steps up a level having had a year to acclimatize then potentially that's another. Davies, whilst not a game changer, is a more than capable player to bring in as is Winks and Wimmer - that to me is a good core of 16 players, chuck in similar level of cover for RCB and/or DM then we will have quite a strong squad imho

Agreed. Been saying this for weeks. We needed 3 players for the window - a CB, a CM/AM and an attacker with some pace or real guile/creativity. Add to that a RB now that Walker has gone

We were linked to some CBs earlier in the window, though those have dried up. Barkley obviously fits the second of the above, and mahrez/Lemar the third. In terms of RBs, there have been plenty of links - really depends on whether we're playing in the premium market (e.g. Pereira, Aurier etc) or the bargain-basement aisle (e.g. Toljan), however there's no smoke without fire so I expect an arrival there.

My biggest concern is that we try to soldier on with our CB options which, to me, are at least 1 too few

Agreed. Been saying this for weeks. We needed 3 players for the window - a CB, a CM/AM and an attacker with some pace or real guile/creativity. Add to that a RB now that Walker has gone

We were linked to some CBs earlier in the window, though those have dried up. Barkley obviously fits the second of the above, and mahrez/Lemar the third. In terms of RBs, there have been plenty of links - really depends on whether we're playing in the premium market (e.g. Pereira, Aurier etc) or the bargain-basement aisle (e.g. Toljan), however there's no smoke without fire so I expect an arrival there.

My biggest concern is that we try to soldier on with our CB options which, to me, are at least 1 too few

Couldn't agree more. There will be those that say that we were so good last season that we can't possibly regress and that the squad is still the same but I just can't agree on that at all. New signings are not just simply because you want a new signing. They freshen up the squad and inject some new enthusiasm into a side that is familiar with each other and creates some more competition. Obviously it is equally as important to make sure they fit your ethos and are of a personality to fit the squad but we have seen before that if you don't make some investment into the playing side from a position of strength (which we haven't seen in at least 3 decades performance wise) then you leave yourself open to being overtaken and some regression occurring. It is also important to make sure we have sufficient options of decent enough quality to deal with going a long way in all competitions, we shouldn't be looking to go out of any competition early doors. The further we go in all comps then the more we will be seen by potential signings that we are indeed real challengers on every level.

This is all without taking into account that we are bound to take less points at Wembley than we did at WHL last season. Even the most optimistic fan wouldn't expect us to carry a successive season of that form.

I would be pretty disappointed if we didn't sign a CB, AM/CM, WF/CF and a RB tbh. Our CB options are a bit sketchy, Wimmer keeps being linked with a move away, I am not mad on Dier at CB as opposed to CM and Carter-Vickers as a long term option doesn't convince me if that was a scenario to develop. Trippier being the only senior option at RB isn't ideal for the rotation that would be required given the workload expected of the full backs.

I am sure we will make signings and they may well come late but I would find it hard to understand anyone's rationale for feeling we will challenge for the title if we stuck just purely with what we have given our Wembley handicap and the improvements other teams have made.

Spurs to challenge City for the title but come second by 6 points
Chelsea and Arsenal to be 3rd and 4th
Klopp and Mourinho to not meet expectations and leave
Spurs to get out of group stages of CL but that is it.
West Ham relegated

Back