• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2017/18 Season - Expectations/Predictions

Don't think the squad is good enough to win the league, however we should get into the top 3/4 as Liverpool/Arsenal still have not addressed the major squad issues so we will finish ahead of them again and Man United despite spending still look weak in places - the major thing they have is sheer numbers. Three years in the CL will help pay of the stadium a quicker.

I think Everton will be the interesting one, whilst we have seen buying a load of players does not tend to work, they have brought the majority from the EPL and could push for the top 4.

FA/FL cup depends on who we draw really and when - we reached the Semi of the FA cup without playing anyone.

CL it would be nice to get out the group!

PL - 4th I think/hope.

I'm setting my expectations low so that I'm not too disappointed down the line. I think it will be an amazing achievement to finish top 4 again when you consider two main factors.

1. Every team is spending shed loads. All teams around us are strengthening, even some teams not close to us are taking a punt. Everton, West Ham etc. WH worry me. Of the teams with non European involvement they have good potential to kick on after playing average for large parts last season and still finishing 11th.

2. Stadium move. As much as I admire everyone's positivity, I am a realist. We simply cant expect to recreate last seasons fortress and home record at Wembley imo. I hope I'm wrong as I have a season ticket so would love for us to do well.

I know people may class this as being negative but I wouldn't want us to finish 5th or 6th and people see it as a failure, and in turn everyone starts getting on Poch's case. I think with the 2 factors above, a 5th or 6th place finish will be perfectly respectable. Man U finished 6th last season and had neither of the above 2 issues to contend with.

I do however think we can appease a lower finish with a cup win!

Yesterday it was Jose, today it's Conte:

“Honestly, I think now every single player is expensive. If you want Walker, you know that Walker is expensive. We tried to buy Walker.

“For you to even enquire about one player, he is expensive. You go to buy a right-back, a left-back or a central defender and he is expensive. It is very difficult in the transfer market for the teams that need to improve their squads.

“Every team has to understand what their ambitions are. If their ambitions are to fight for the title or try to win the Champions League, you must buy expensive players. Otherwise you continue to stay in your level. It’s simple.

“My question is this: what are Tottenham’s expectations? If they don’t win the title, it’s not a tragedy. If they don’t arrive in the Champions League, it’s not a tragedy.

“If they go out in the first round of the Champions League it’s not a tragedy. If they go out after the first game that they play in the Europa League and go down against Gent, it is not a tragedy.

“Maybe for Chelsea, Arsenal, City, United and - I don’t know - Liverpool, it is a tragedy. You must understand this.

“For us, if it is not a tragedy you can keep calm and then face the Champions League and try to do our best as we always do. But you must understand the status of the team.

“I think Tottenham were very good and I think Pochettino is a very good manager and the club is a very good club. But in this season, you built something important. You never won.”

“Every team has to understand what their ambitions are. If their ambitions are to fight for the title or try to win the Champions League, you must buy expensive players. Otherwise you continue to stay in your level. It’s simple.

“My question is this: what are Tottenham’s expectations? If they don’t win the title, it’s not a tragedy. If they don’t arrive in the Champions League, it’s not a tragedy.

“If they go out in the first round of the Champions League it’s not a tragedy. If they go out after the first game that they play in the Europa League and go down against Gent, it is not a tragedy.

“Maybe for Chelsea, Arsenal, City, United and - I don’t know - Liverpool, it is a tragedy. You must understand this.

“For us, if it is not a tragedy you can keep calm and then face the Champions League and try to do our best as we always do. But you must understand the status of the team.

“I think Tottenham were very good and I think Pochettino is a very good manager and the club is a very good club. But in this season, you built something important. You never won.”

It's a fair question, if you can get past the sheer cheek of the c*nt asking it.

This whole thread is full of people resigning themselves to fourth, fifth or thereabouts. Me included. From what I can tell, it's because of two cited reasons - firstly, we're almost in August and our transfer spending is at a grand total of 0 pounds after having brought in about 70m from the sale of a key first-team player, among others. And secondly, we're going to be playing at Wembley instead of WHL - which will drag our home performances down accordingly.

Conte's made the point that expensive players are generally the ones that win you titles - we're free of the burden of expectations because the top players are ones we've deemed are unaffordable for us as it stands. Then, (with absolutely no self-awareness) he followed on and pointed out that the clubs that *did* participate heavily in the market as it stands have no excuses for failing to challenge this season - whereas we presumably don't, because we can put a sub-optimal campaign down to Wembley, or our self-imposed financial restrictions or anything else.

It's borne out by how this thread has evolved - a team that gained 86 points last season is being assigned expectations by its fans (including me - not counting myself out of this) that seemingly accept that a regression back to just a top-four challenger is inevitable. Whereas, if we'd kept Kyle and gone out and bought Morata, or Lukaku, or Lacazette, or Bernardo Silva, or any one of the expensive players the sides around us have gone out and bought - expectations would likely have been *very* different.

We have latitude to expect a lot less of our side than the people involved with the free-spending clubs do. The c*nt is just pointing that out - of course he's trying some stupid mind games to go with it, but our own internal discussions sort of mirror the point he's making, imo.

Yesterday it was Jose, today it's Conte:

“Honestly, I think now every single player is expensive. If you want Walker, you know that Walker is expensive. We tried to buy Walker.

“For you to even enquire about one player, he is expensive. You go to buy a right-back, a left-back or a central defender and he is expensive. It is very difficult in the transfer market for the teams that need to improve their squads.

He is pretty spot on, he mention the kids as well and not really being able to blood them

I quite like Conte

Conte was asked why he and Chekski don't promote the young players like Spurs do and instead are spending millions bringing players in. Conte is right in his reply, he has the pressure on him to win things and Poch doesnt so he hasn't got the time to go 3 seasons without winning anything. He will be sacked. So it's all about now and buying players to deliver success now.

Conte was asked why he and Chekski don't promote the young players like Spurs do and instead are spending millions bringing players in. Conte is right in his reply, he has the pressure on him to win things and Poch doesnt so he hasn't got the time to go 3 seasons without winning anything. He will be sacked. So it's all about now and buying players to deliver success now.

I see it as Conte trying to belittle one of his biggest challengers and also deflecting from the flaws in his current squad

He has no reason to discuss us in his press conference and should focus on his own side unless he actually is concerned about us

Mou is trying the same thing

DFqfPHCWsAABvBl.jpg:large

According to the latest odds this is where each manager/team will finish at the end of the season.

Whichever of those 3 DOESNT finish top has to be under tremendous pressure given the money they have spent.

It may be a Big 6 as often described but really its a 3 and a 3.

I see it as Conte trying to belittle one of his biggest challengers and also deflecting from the flaws in his current squad

He has no reason to discuss us in his press conference and should focus on his own side unless he actually is concerned about us

Mou is trying the same thing

It was a question directed at him regarding the youth players rather than him bringing it up, also a follow up from Levys comments yesterday.

DFqfPHCWsAABvBl.jpg:large

According to the latest odds this is where each manager/team will finish at the end of the season.

Whichever of those 3 DOESNT finish top has to be under tremendous pressure given the money they have spent.

It may be a Big 6 as often described but really its a 3 and a 3.
I'd take that for our year at Wembley.
Don't think Burnley will be that low down, or Leicester/Palace that high up.

It is what managers do, looking to much into his comments - which are on the whole correct anyway - he has not said anything terrible

Just trying to deflect things though

He is the manager f the champions who have spent £300m plus in his reign. He should talk about them

Just trying to deflect things though

He is the manager f the champions who have spent £300m plus in his reign. He should talk about them

Should Levy do the same?

Net spend last year was £20 million

This year so far £50 million

So £70 million net - which is not all that much.

He can say what he wants. They're all talking about us because they are worried that the millions they have spent won't be enough to see us off.

I need TP for my bunghole.

Pretty much this, who gives a brick what he or any other manager has to say. He is just trying to get inside the heads of other managers and fans ( and let be honest there are a lot of fans who fall for that type of flimflam).

Back