• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2016 - you bastard

A great artist. Not my favorite to be honest, but I admire him for his performance at the Freddie Mercury tribute gig. Brilliant.

I was talking bollox to my family tonight and we were discussing this death. The menu of emotion varied from shock to apathy. Me...I was at the apathy end of the scale. And it is not that I don't like George Michael per se. It is more that I feel nothing when a celeb dies. Nothing as I don't know them and have nothing in common with them.

A great artist. Not my favorite to be honest, but I admire him for his performance at the Freddie Mercury tribute gig. Brilliant.

I was talking bollox to my family tonight and we were discussing this death. The menu of emotion varied from shock to apathy. Me...I was at the apathy end of the scale. And it is not that I don't like George Michael per se. It is more that I feel nothing when a celeb dies. Nothing as I don't know them and have nothing in common with them.

I understand your apathy to "celebrities" and I did not particularly like his music but he wrote some very good songs and did have a talent unlike many of the manufactured celebs that are forced on us.

I understand your apathy to "celebrities" and I did not particularly like his music but he wrote some very good songs and did have a talent unlike many of the manufactured celebs that are forced on us.

He wrote some very good songs, at a very young age. He was 17 when he wrote Careless Whisper.

Sad news. A very talented songwriter and producer. Heard an anecdote on the radio this morning about how Careless Whisper was recorded in the studios of one of the top producers of the time (forget the name). George Michael didn't like the result and came back to England and re-recorded it with his own singers, musicians etc. That was at the age of 21. Driven and confident of his talent.
It's also sad that, for whatever reasons, he didn't feel able to 'come out' about his sexuality, until he had no choice. That must take its toll on a person (although of course he is far from being unique in that respect).
I mostly liked his music, and regardless, it was a part of my late teens and twenties, so this news resonates with me.
And he was only 53. That hits home as well.
Another one to RIP from 2016.

53, that's no age to go. Ageing celebrities must look forward to 2017. It's been a dangerous year for the famous. RIP.

It's also sad that, for whatever reasons, he didn't feel able to 'come out' about his sexuality, until he had no choice.
He said it was so his mum didn't have to worry about AIDS.

Yesterday at 10am we were driving to my wife's parents and they said on the news Rick Parfitt died. My wife said "I can't believe George Michael survived 2016" - - - and 12 hours later he's dead.

I wonder if he was asphyxiwan.k.ing

As somebody who DJ'ed his way through the 80s (sometimes I feel I am still there), this year had been a bummer with some of my favourite artists have moved on.

Prince, Pete Burns and now George Michael along with Bowie and not to forget Rick Parfitt. Bloody hell 2016, and to think this is all without Aaron Ramsey scoring!

I'll stick my neck out and go for a bold prediction! I think there will celebrities passing away also in 2017.

It's nearly over!

2016 has a few days to make amends but it is going to take a phenomenally high headcount of bastards between now and midnight Saturday for me to ever consider forgiving it.

Last edited:
Back