• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2016/17 Season in Review

90291Spur

Paul Walsh
I know I've come early (it's not the first time), but I thought perhaps this might be a place for us to wax lyrical about what an amazing season it has been for us all.

Young, dynamic, progressive, exciting - and again tantalizingly close to the main prize. This season has seen us go unbeaten in our final season at our beloved White Hart Lane and dazzle the footballing world with our style and panache. Obviously Erkisen hasn't broken enough legs and Sissoko was a waste of money, but VJ did score form open play against Leeds AND Bournemouth.

For me the highlight was being able to go to The Lane twice for the first time in two decades - once with my best mate against Soton, and then, the crowning moment, with my 11 year old boy against Bournemouth (he still sings "Wheelchair, you're a cvnt).

Looking back if only we hadn't drawn so many, but this is the club that chose me in 1973 and I have been hooked since. I beg and pray that we improve the squad and continue our progression - because we already have more points than the winners fro last year (and top the totally useless 'two year' table).

Finally, Poch (thanks to being hired by Levy) has turned us around and laid the foundations for what will hopefully be a long and sustained period of success and trophies.

And really finally, thanks to all of you on here (even the WUMs), for providing a forum (literally) for us to come together, agree with/disagree with/insult/flirt with for so long. Thanks Mods for making this happen.

COYS!!!!

We didn't play Leeds this season though - Janssen scored against Millwall. ;) I'll add my season review after the hull game. Will be a nice thread to read, I reckon!

This has been the best season as a Spurs fan for me and I have followed them for 26 years. It's just been fun to watch us. I look forward to pretty much every match with expectation rather than forlorn hope. I believe that there are multiple players who can pull a match-winning performance out of the bag and I believe firmly in the manager to oversee victory with intelligence and insight. I am proud and privileged to see players pulling on the lilywhite who could easily walk into any other team in this league. Nor am I ashamed of this group of players, feeling that I have to ignore aspects of our style or certain players within the team.

(I think my fiancée is some sort of charm. We've been together exactly two years today, she's taken a strong interest in Spurs and even bought my tickets to see my first (and only) ever Spurs game, and the life of being a Spurs fan has seemed even brighter recently. She has also indicated that, post-marriage, it would be her responsibility to console me if Spurs lose.)

I think my fiancée is some sort of charm
megalomania
ˌmɛɡ(ə)lə(ʊ)ˈmeɪnɪə/
noun
  1. obsession with the exercise of power.
    • delusion about one's own power or importance (typically as a symptom of manic or paranoid disorder).

- Undefeated at home, blew away our points record
- 3 players on 20+ goals for season, Kane on track for defending golden boot
- PFA Young Player of year for 5th out of last 6 seasons
- Eriksen & Kane teetering on that edge of WC
- We have learnt how to consistently thump sides, breathtaking football at times
- All of the above despite a significant number of key players injured during season

Easily the best season of my memory, and while I trust Poch/Levy to keep us going in the right direction, fans should first and foremost just fudging enjoy it. Don't fall for other people's narrative and put caveats on it, it was a great season, blew away expectations, smile, enjoy the light after the decades of fudging darkness.

megalomania
ˌmɛɡ(ə)lə(ʊ)ˈmeɪnɪə/
noun
  1. obsession with the exercise of power.
    • delusion about one's own power or importance (typically as a symptom of manic or paranoid disorder).

What's it called if you're deluded about someone else's power - Megaloproxymania?

I have been lucky enough to have witnessed some truly great sides over the years ( double team, the early 70's team, the early 80's and Pleats team of 87 which should have won something). During that time i have seen many truely great players ( to many to mention) but what i will say is this team is REALLY a team that plays for each other and they ALL know what is expected from them and if you watch all the players they are ALWAYS on the move to assist and make space either for themselves or others.

We are a unit and as great as the previous teams i mentioned they were not as focused on being a unit and working as one as much as this team. I know its a fans place to credit managers ( when they do well) but Poch has/is doing such a good job and is the one that has given us this team. I will hold back ( for the time being) from saying he is the best manager i have seen here during my time as a fan but if/when he starts bring the trophies in then he will be mentioned in the same breath as Sir Bill and KB.

Last edited:
(I think my fiancée is some sort of charm. We've been together exactly two years today, she's taken a strong interest in Spurs and even bought my tickets to see my first (and only) ever Spurs game, and the life of being a Spurs fan has seemed even brighter recently. She has also indicated that, post-marriage, it would be her responsibility to console me if Spurs lose.)

Well, once you've been married for 20 years or so you might be grateful for the odd Spurs defeat and a bit of consolation :)

- Undefeated at home, blew away our points record
- 3 players on 20+ goals for season, Kane on track for defending golden boot
- PFA Young Player of year for 5th out of last 6 seasons
- Eriksen & Kane teetering on that edge of WC
- We have learnt how to consistently thump sides, breathtaking football at times
- All of the above despite a significant number of key players injured during season

Easily the best season of my memory, and while I trust Poch/Levy to keep us going in the right direction, fans should first and foremost just fudging enjoy it. Don't fall for other people's narrative and put caveats on it, it was a great season, blew away expectations, smile, enjoy the light after the decades of fudging darkness.

THIS. While the off season will have the usual barrage of rumours and some ins and outs it is more pleasing to think about how amazing our Club is (and always has been) and what great football we have been treated to.

This past week has been bloody buggery brilliant. I'm sorry the season is over, but only 83 more sleeps until the next one!

COYS!!!!!!!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-prize-money-table-10472843

Premier League earnings table
Position Merit + TV TOTAL WINNINGS (including £84.4m each)
1st - CHELSEA £38m + £30.4m £152.8m (1st)
2nd = TOTTENHAM £36.1m + £27.6m £148.1m (Equal 4th)

3rd - Emirates Marketing Project £34.2m + £30.4 £149m (2nd)
4th - LIVERPOOL £32.3m + £31.4 £148.1m (Equal 4th)
5th - ARSENAL £30.4m + £27.6m £142.4m (6th)
6th - MAN UNITED £28.5m + £30.4m £143.3m (5th)
7th - EVERTON £26.6m + £21.1 £132.1m (7th)
8th - SOUTHAMPTON £24.7m + £18.2m £127.3m (8th)
9th - BOURNEMOUTH £22.8m + £16.4m £123.6m (9th)
10th - WEST BROM £20.9m + £14.5m £119.8m (12th)
11th - WEST HAM £19m + £18.2m £121.6m (10th)
12th - LEICESTER £17.1m + £19.2m £120.7m (11th)
13th - STOKE CITY £15.2m + 13.8m £113.4m (14th)
14th - CRYSTAL PALACE £13.3m + £17.3m £115m (13th)
15th - SWANSEA £11.4m + £13.6m £109.4m (15th)
16th - BURNLEY £9.5m + £13.6m £107.5 (17th)
17th - WATFORD £7.6m + £16.4m £108.4m (16th)
18th - HULL CITY £5.7m + £13.6m £103.7m (19th)
19th - MIDDLESBROUGH £3.8m + £16.4m £104.6m (18th)
20th - SUNDERLAND £1.9m + £13.6m £99.9m (20th)

That says it all, really. Wow. Goosebumps. I'm easily moved by a good tune and a good singer though. :p

Fantastic season for us, as we all know. It got a bit rocky when we lost Toby and Kane October-ish, but we picked ourselves up in December and just didn't stop.

Best performances (hard to choose) - Emirates Marketing Project (H) & Chelski (H) (and many more, really, but those were probably our best matches overall considering the opponent)
Worst performance - Liverpool (A) (both times we played them there, really)
Best comeback - vs Wet Spam (H)
Player of the season - Victor Wanyama (hard to choose one, obviously, and very hard not to pick Kane, could be any of the front four or in the back four as well. Considering he was new in the squad, barely put a foot wrong all season, the work he's put in, just excellent)
Most disappointing moment of the season - FA Cup semi defeat
Sweetest wins - Scum (H), Yanited (H), Wet Spam (H) (turning it around like that at the end, loved it)
Best moment of the season - a personal one for me, being at The Lane one last time to see us smash Watford in the sunshine, absolutely loved it
Goal of the season - Dele vs Watford (maybe because I was sitting in the Shelf watching it so close by)
Achievement of the season - the record points tally, our goal difference, going undefeated the last season at the Lane
Proudest moment - The Finale at The Lane, going undefeated throughout the season with that final win, that was just bliss

(Please notice how I don't mention us finishing above Scum in any of these ;))

That says it all, really. Wow. Goosebumps. I'm easily moved by a good tune and a good singer though. :p

Fantastic season for us, as we all know. It got a bit rocky when we lost Toby and Kane October-ish, but we picked ourselves up in December and just didn't stop.

Best performances (hard to choose) - Emirates Marketing Project (H) & Chelski (H) (and many more, really, but those were probably our best matches overall considering the opponent)
Worst performance - Liverpool (A) (both times we played them there, really)
Best comeback - vs Wet Spam (H)
Player of the season - Victor Wanyama (hard to choose one, obviously, and very hard not to pick Kane, could be any of the front four or in the back four as well. Considering he was new in the squad, barely put a foot wrong all season, the work he's put in, just excellent)
Sweetest wins - Scum (H), Yanited (H), Wet Spam (H) (turning it around like that at the end, loved it)
Best moment of the season - a personal one for me, being at The Lane one last time to see us smash Watford in the sunshine, absolutely loved it
Goal of the season - Dele vs Watford (maybe because I was sitting in the Shelf watching it so close by)
Achievement of the season - the record points tally, our goal difference, going undefeated the last season at the Lane
Proudest moment - The Finale at The Lane, going undefeated throughout the season with that final win, that was just bliss

(Please notice how I don't mention us finishing above Scum in any of these ;))
Great post - I wish I had the idea to break it down the way you did.

Best performances - Emirates Marketing Project (H) & Hull away - to show the ruthlessness of hammering a relegated side and playing 100% until the final whistle - MENTALITY
Worst performance - Wet Spam away
Best comeback - Wet Spam at home
Player of the season - It's like choosing your fave child - but I go with Kane. Two proper injuries and a hunger and desire to win.
Sweetest wins - In no particular order: Leicester (A) - sweet to tonk them so hard Goons (H), Manure (H), Wet Spam (H)
Best moment of the season - Bournemouth at home for personal reasons as I got to take my son to his first (and only) the game.
Goal of the season - Dele vs Watford
Achievement of the season - Also points and being unbeaten and what that shows - how much we have evolved and improved.
Proudest moment - It started with my son grabbing his first glimpse of that Sacred Space at The Lane before the Bournemouth game and continued throughout the game up until we left N17.

Hate to go all "West Ham" on your arse, but shouldn't that be 3rd equal?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-prize-money-table-10472843

Premier League earnings table
Position Merit + TV TOTAL WINNINGS (including £84.4m each)
1st - CHELSEA £38m + £30.4m £152.8m (1st)
2nd = TOTTENHAM £36.1m + £27.6m £148.1m (Equal 4th)

3rd - Emirates Marketing Project £34.2m + £30.4 £149m (2nd)
4th - LIVERPOOL £32.3m + £31.4 £148.1m (Equal 4th)
5th - ARSENAL £30.4m + £27.6m £142.4m (6th)
6th - MAN UNITED £28.5m + £30.4m £143.3m (5th)
7th - EVERTON £26.6m + £21.1 £132.1m (7th)
8th - SOUTHAMPTON £24.7m + £18.2m £127.3m (8th)
9th - BOURNEMOUTH £22.8m + £16.4m £123.6m (9th)
10th - WEST BROM £20.9m + £14.5m £119.8m (12th)
11th - WEST HAM £19m + £18.2m £121.6m (10th)
12th - LEICESTER £17.1m + £19.2m £120.7m (11th)
13th - STOKE CITY £15.2m + 13.8m £113.4m (14th)
14th - CRYSTAL PALACE £13.3m + £17.3m £115m (13th)
15th - SWANSEA £11.4m + £13.6m £109.4m (15th)
16th - BURNLEY £9.5m + £13.6m £107.5 (17th)
17th - WATFORD £7.6m + £16.4m £108.4m (16th)
18th - HULL CITY £5.7m + £13.6m £103.7m (19th)
19th - MIDDLESBROUGH £3.8m + £16.4m £104.6m (18th)
20th - SUNDERLAND £1.9m + £13.6m £99.9m (20th)

1st - CHELSEA £38m + £30.4m £152.8m (1st) - EPL Trophy * Champions League (standard)
2nd = TOTTENHAM £36.1m + £27.6m £148.1m (Equal 4th) - Champions League
3rd - Emirates Marketing Project £34.2m + £30.4 £149m (2nd) - Champions League
4th - LIVERPOOL £32.3m + £31.4 £148.1m (Equal 4th) - Champions League
5th - ARSENAL £30.4m + £27.6m £142.4m (6th) - FA Cup
6th - MAN UNITED £28.5m + £30.4m £143.3m (5th) - Europa Cup and Champions League

Observations:

• Win-Win all round this season
  • 2nd to 4th placings - no trophies!
  • 5th and 6th - Arsenal got a trophy but no CL, thought it seems Man U played it smart and got both a trophy and CL
What's our goal for next season?

What's our goal for next season?

1. PL Champions. We've proved we're good enough, now we need to go all out to try and win it.
2. Final stages of CL. Realistically we lack the experience to have much chance of getting beyond the SFs
3. See how far we can get in the domestic cups. But given the limitations of squad size and depth compared to the money-doped clubs we'll need to field weaker teams for these comps, therefore aspirations must be tempered accordingly.

Back