• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015/16 Europa League - Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
This subject has been discussed on previous threads but really needs its own independent thread preferably stickied. Someone did a really good diagram on another thread:

Put Simply the equation for us this season is as follows:

If Arsenal win the FA Cup:

• If we finish 5th in the League we will go into the group stages of the Europa League
  • If we finish 6th in the League we will go into the group stages of the Europa League
  • If we finish 7th in the League we will go into the 3rd Qualifying Round of the Europa League
If Aston Villa win the FA Cup:

• If we finish 5th in the League we will go into the group stages of the Europa League
  • If we finish 6th in the League we will go into the 3rd Qualifying round of the Europa League
  • If we finish 7th we will not qualify for the Europa League
The rule rules are:
  • England is given 3 Europa League spots.
  • These are allocated to: The FA Cup winners, The League Cup Winners (Chelsea) and 5th place in the PL
  • As Chelsea, as Lge Cup Winners, will also secure a spot in the CL having finished in the top 4 spots their Europa League spot passes down to the 6th placed team in the PL
  • Should Arsenal win the FA Cup their Europa League spot will pass down to the 7th placed team in the PL.
  • If Aston Villa win the FA Cup they will qualify for the Europa League spot.
  • For the first time the FA Cup Runners-up will NOT be given a Europa League spot.
  • Of the three Europa League positions the first two progress straight into the group stages. The group stages are drawn at the end of August and consist of 6 matchdays - all on Thursdays - between September and December
  • The final position go into the 3rd Qualifying round which consists of 2 legs playing on 30th July and 6th August; if successful there is a play-off round with games scheduled on 20th and 27th August with a place in the group stages up for grabs.
Just to add to the mix, to avoid confusion, England is currently in the top 3 countries for Fair Play with 3 spots available to the three countries with the best fair play record over the course of the season. In these circumstances the team from within that country's top division who finishes highest (having not already qualified) for European competition) enters into the 1st Qualifying round of the Europa League.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/fair-play.html - method of calculation just below table

Returns up to 31 March, we have come up a bit but Wet Spam & Burnley look to be the front runners. Can't think that much will have changed since then.

While Burnley need to scrap for survival, Wet Spam need 1pt to be mathematically certain but realistically are safe. In fact they might have already decided to be perfectly behaved for the next few matches just to be in Europe.

I'd bet a leftie pillow eater made up this fair play crap

Lets just not use the first 11 next year. Use the rest of the squad and developmental side of the team in this competition. The first 11 does not even travel. They stay at home and prepare for the Premier League fixture, whilst the rest of the squad uses these games (and league cup) to get into that first 11.

The Europa league, unless it improves its prize money is dead. No point adding a champions league place to the winners unless the Premier League helps teams that are involved in European competition like they do in Spain, Italy etc. The boll0cks of what surrounded the League cup final and the fixtures needed to play IMO inhibited our chance of top 4 and winning silverware. The West Ham and Swansea games, at least one game should have been moved to now.

I'd bet a leftie pillow eater made up this fair play crap

Lets just not use the first 11 next year. Use the rest of the squad and developmental side of the team in this competition. The first 11 does not even travel. They stay at home and prepare for the Premier League fixture, whilst the rest of the squad uses these games (and league cup) to get into that first 11.

The Europa league, unless it improves its prize money is dead. No point adding a champions league place to the winners unless the Premier League helps teams that are involved in European competition like they do in Spain, Italy etc. The boll0cks of what surrounded the League cup final and the fixtures needed to play IMO inhibited our chance of top 4 and winning silverware. The West Ham and Swansea games, at least one game should have been moved to now.

If you want to be tactical about it, the easiest way to qualify for CL the season after is to prioritise EL and play the kids in the league (making sure we do enough to avoid relegation).

We can also realistically win the EL, whereas we'll not win the league again until at least the time in the future when renewable energies destroy the oil industry.

Villa to win the cup and qualify for europe, we finish 7th and have no more Thurs night distractions

Tottenham+Hotspur+FC+Training+Press+Conference+fOF5Catxgjjs.jpg

Villa to win the cup and qualify for europe, we finish 7th and have no more Thurs night distractions

Tottenham+Hotspur+FC+Training+Press+Conference+fOF5Catxgjjs.jpg

£25m gap in our finance

Have to cut about 4 extra senior players from the squad (in addition to those already earmarked).

No midweek football to watch/glory glory nights at the Lane

Relegated from the EPL b-list, to its c-list - the same level as other mid-tablers like Stoke, West Ham etc.

Less attractive to overseas players in the summer (despite the English arrogance, the competition is actually very highly regarded by the rest of the continent)

If we hadn't been in EL this year, Kane would have spent the season at QPR or Leicester - so we would be losing the opportunities for Onomah, Winks and co to emerge

£25m gap in our finance

Have to cut about 4 extra senior players from the squad (in addition to those already earmarked).

Relegated from the EPL b-list, to its c-list - the same level as other mid-tablers like Stoke, West Ham etc.

Less attractive to overseas players in the summer (despite the English arrogance, the competition is actually very highly regarded by the rest of the continent)

If we hadn't been in EL this year, Kane would have spent the season at QPR or Leicester - so we would be losing the opportunities for Onomah, Winks and co to emerge

Tell all that to Poch, not me, the impression I got from a recent interview was that the EL was something unwelcome.

Also, where do you get that 25 mill gap in finances figure from?

Tell all that to Poch, not me, the impression I got from a recent interview was that the EL was something unwelcome.

Also, where do you get that 25 mill gap in finances figure from?

It was Poch's fist season managing in Europe, so must have been an important learning experience for him.

I posted in another thread somewhere yesterday, but £25m is a combination of estimates from: 5-6 gate receipts (£1m a pop), 10-12 international broadcasts, sponsorship clauses, and prize money.

There was also a big deal made about how the EL 'parachute' revenue saved Chelsea from FFP issue the season they dropped into it - it's far from insignificant.

^ do we still have a separate European shirt sponsor as well?

Yep - AIA give us up to £16m-a-year for cup matches.

There's surely clauses about how many cup games we play - i.e. they wouldn't pay the same for 2 (losing both domestics in first round), compared with the 20 odd we've had this season

Premier League has and always will be the most important league/cup/trophy for Spurs. Whether it's finishing top, or in the top four or even finishing out the relegation places. There is no way the Club would ever prioritise the EL and play youngsters in the league.

Year after year it's costing us points on a Sunday against teams we should be able to easily get three points against. I've had enough of playing IT companies from Macedonia. Fine with ten or so less games, let's trim the squad or four or five players. Ade, soldado, Capoue and Paulinho. Done.

I'll spend my mid weeks looking at the league with us higher up than we've spent this season. Then tell me we're English C list.

As if we'd ever win the EL, it's Spurs we always find a way of ballsing it up in the last six or seven seasons which cup we're in.

£25m gap in our finance

It was Poch's fist season managing in Europe, so must have been an important learning experience for him.

I posted in another thread somewhere yesterday, but £25m is a combination of estimates from: 5-6 gate receipts (£1m a pop), 10-12 international broadcasts, sponsorship clauses, and prize money.

There was also a big deal made about how the EL 'parachute' revenue saved Chelsea from FFP issue the season they dropped into it - it's far from insignificant.

And we would still get the same money if we kept our starting eleven at home.

levy wants europa but what is poch's real take on this on this aside from the PC speak of "we want to win everything"?

£25m gap in our finance

The chance to blood more youngsters is definitely a bonus.

Also if you do get into the CL after a year of no European football the changes you have to make to the squad are massive. The EL is definitely a learning experience.

We've had a somewhat chaotic experience this season. Perhaps most seasons will be somewhat chaotic, but I think we'll have a stronger squad next season with more quality in depth to deal with the EL fixtures.

levy wants europa but what is poch's real take on this on this aside from the PC speak of "we want to win everything"?

Does it matter much in terms of qualifying?

Are we really going to "throw" 6th in the league on the chance that Villa beat Arsenal in the cup final? Are we comfortable doing that without it affecting us going into next season?

Most of the time if you realistically want to compete for the CL places you'll end up in the EL if you fail. Poch just has to deal with that, this is life at Spurs.

Levy did allows Redknapp to play extremely weakened teams in the EL group stages. He also allowed AVB to play practically unchanged teams in the EL group stages even after we'd qualified for the knockout stages. So for when we're actually in the tournament Poch's opinion does matter I would guess. And his opinion was made pretty clear with the team we used this season.

Does it matter much in terms of qualifying?

Are we really going to "throw" 6th in the league on the chance that Villa beat Arsenal in the cup final? Are we comfortable doing that without it affecting us going into next season?

Most of the time if you realistically want to compete for the CL places you'll end up in the EL if you fail. Poch just has to deal with that, this is life at Spurs.

Levy did allows Redknapp to play extremely weakened teams in the EL group stages. He also allowed AVB to play practically unchanged teams in the EL group stages even after we'd qualified for the knockout stages. So for when we're actually in the tournament Poch's opinion does matter I would guess. And his opinion was made pretty clear with the team we used this season.

I want us in the EL (barring a miracle surge for fourth!), so we need to push for 5th so we avoid as many matches as possible.

As i have mentioned before, i'm sure 8-9 first teamers could be left out permantly for those 6 group games, so lessening the effect on our prem campaign. (just looked and the knock-out phase didn't start until the 19th feb this season).

And make no mistake there is going to be a large dose of transition again next season....we have just too many players to shift (never easy with levy overseeing every penny) as well as 2-3 additions. The EL helps with bringing through youth, intergration of new faces and giving squad players game time.

I want us in the EL (barring a miracle surge for fourth!), so we need to push for 5th so we avoid as many matches as possible.

As i have mentioned before, i'm sure 8-9 first teamers could be left out permantly for those 6 group games, so lessening the effect on our prem campaign. (just looked and the knock-out phase didn't start until the 19th feb this season).

And make no mistake there is going to be a large dose of transition again next season....we have just too many players to shift (never easy with levy overseeing every penny) as well as 2-3 additions. The EL helps with bringing through youth, intergration of new faces and giving squad players game time.

Oh, I agree that there's going to be transitions again next season. Just thinking that perhaps we'll avoid situations where a solid portion of our squad are almost completely out of the picture and either unavailable or can't be trusted to perform in the EL or any games for that matter.

Definitely agree that the EL could be a help in many ways.

Oh, I agree that there's going to be transitions again next season. Just thinking that perhaps we'll avoid situations where a solid portion of our squad are almost completely out of the picture and either unavailable or can't be trusted to perform in the EL or any games for that matter.

Definitely agree that the EL could be a help in many ways.

That's key. From November we effectively had a squad of 17-18 senior players.

It would be nice to have a full c.22 again for the 4 competitions (10 out 3/4 in kind of business)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back