• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window thread?

Holtby didnt really have an impact. - Wilson was the last one I can think of?

Here's our complete January business since the window started in 2003. Not the greatest of track records (I've bolded my thoughts on successful ones). Alli, Dawson and Defoe I are the ones that really stand out.

2003 - Toda
2004 - Defoe I
2005 - Mido, Dawson, Reid, Cerny, El Hamdaoui, Limbersky, Hallfredsson
2006 - Murphy, Ghaly
2007 - Rocha, Alnwick, Taarabt
2008 - Woodgate, Gunter, Hutton, Gilberto
2009 - Chimbonda II, Keane II, Palacios, Defoe II, Cudicini
2010 - Gudjohnsen, Kaboul II
2011 - Khumalo, Pienaar
2012 - Nelsen, Saha
2013 - Holtby, Fryers
2014 -
2015 - Alli
2016 -
2017 -

Last edited:
Here's our complete January business since the window started in 2003. Not the greatest of track records (I've bolded my thoughts on successful ones). Alli, Dawson and Defoe I are the ones that really stand out.

2003 - Toda
2004 - Defoe I
2005 - Mido, Dawson, Reid, Cerny, El Hamdaoui, Limbersky, Hallfredsson
2006 - Murphy, Ghaly
2007 - Rocha, Alnwick, Taarabt
2008 - Woodgate, Gunter, Hutton, Gilberto
2009 - Chimbonda, Keane II, Palacios, Defoe II, Cudicini
2010 - Gudjohnsen, Kaboul II
2011 - Khumalo, Pienaar
2012 - Nelsen, Saha
2013 - Holtby, Fryers
2014 -
2015 - Alli
2016 -
2017 -

That really is a list of Meh

So Defoe's second stint with us isn't deemed a success despite finishing as our top scorer the following season. Yet Chimbonda, who made 3 appearances was successful?

I was judging by their success over that entire stint with us and to some extent their cost.

But I've made a mistake, that was the second time we signed Chimbonda, not the first, so I retract that it was a good signing (his first spell though was decent).

Defoe was very expensive second time around and never really clicked in the better side we then had, especially once van der Vaart turned up.

Was he expensive or was a large chunk of the fee not just the money already owed to us from Pompey? same with Kaboul and Keane's second stints? That was always my assumption.

Did anyone else completely forget we signed Pienaar?! bloody hell he was turd.

It's actually part of the reason that I still fear mid-table players who look decent in a completely different set-up to we ever employ (Barkley, Zaha, previously Benteke etc.).

Actually all three of our South African signings have been complete disasters - Pienaar, Mabizela and Khumalo. I'm not sure if it's an unfortunate co-incidence, or whether they were simply t-shirt signings.

I think its a bit of a broad brush approach to look at it that way.

Its more about their attributes than anything, I dont look at the level of team they are at with that much interest to be honest.

Mid table, championship? I dont care.

Was he expensive or was a large chunk of the fee not just the money already owed to us from Pompey? same with Kaboul and Keane's second stints? That was always my assumption.

It was simply the £50m we'd made from Berbatov and Keane the previous window. That was already zero net spend time (which started after summer 2007)

It was simply the £50m we'd made from Berbatov and Keane the previous window. That was already zero net spend time (which started after summer 2007)

To quote the ever RELIABLE Wikipedia:

Portsmouth accepted a bid from Tottenham thought to be around £15.75 million (including fees owed to Tottenham for the previous transfers of Younès Kaboul and Pedro Mendes and waiving a £4 million sell-on clause that had also been negotiated during his transfer from Spurs to Portsmouth) on 6 January 2009.

I don't think he was that expensive second time around.

I think its a bit of a broad brush approach to look at it that way.

Its more about their attributes than anything, I dont look at the level of team they are at with that much interest to be honest.

Mid table, championship? I dont care.

But that's kind of what I mean though. Mid/bottom of the league players are often successful at that level because they are effective in teams that play on the break and who are given lots of time in possession. We have to counter deeply set defences and are given no space. Hence the skillset doesn't necessarily translate.

We are therefore usually better either i) growing our own, ii) buying teenagers or iii) signing players from select clubs who play the same way as us, than signing mid-20s from the bottom half of the EPL or championship.

To quote the ever RELIABLE Wikipedia:

Portsmouth accepted a bid from Tottenham thought to be around £15.75 million (including fees owed to Tottenham for the previous transfers of Younès Kaboul and Pedro Mendes and waiving a £4 million sell-on clause that had also been negotiated during his transfer from Spurs to Portsmouth) on 6 January 2009.

I don't think he was that expensive second time around.

An advance on money we were going to be receiving in instalments anyway, not a reduced price

But that's kind of what I mean though. Mid/bottom of the league players are often successful at that level because they are effective in teams that play on the break and who are given lots of time in possession. We have to counter deeply set defences and are given no space. Hence the skillset doesn't necessarily translate.

We are therefore usually better either i) growing our own, ii) buying teenagers or iii) signing players from select clubs who play the same way as us, than signing mid-20s from the bottom half of the EPL or championship.

I still think thats a rather naive view, to be honest. Judging a player on their current team just seems quite childish in its simplicity.

There are plenty of good players around who could do well for us.

Maguire went to Leicester from a relegated Hull, and I think he looks the real deal, for example. Would have been quality for us.

I still think thats a rather naive view, to be honest. Judging a player on their current team just seems quite childish in its simplicity.

There are plenty of good players around who could do well for us.

Maguire went to Leicester from a relegated Hull, and I think he looks the real deal, for example. Would have been quality for us.

Of course there are exceptions (I like Maguire), and the trick is to spot them.

But for example so many people wanted Benteke (several times), but it was so clear that he can only operate in a team with 2 orthodox wingers - which luckily Liverpool were naïve about (and déjà vu re Andy Carroll too), not us.

Similarly Siggy. Looks devastating mid-table. But just can't play with less time on the ball like you get in the top 6. Pienaar was exactly the same.

There's also the intelligence gap, which we saw Defoe really struggling with when he started lining up alongside van der Vaart and Modric. That's what Zaha struggled with at United, and it's also what I think Barkley will struggle with, as despite some technical ability, he's quite a dumb player.

See - broadly you seem to align with my view. Which makes sweeping statements about mid table players seem rather silly.

A player is a player, you sign them on their attributes, and thats it. Where they come from matters not.

Being careful with regard to appreciating how they perform in what set up is simply due dilligence, not something prohibitive.

I maintain you are wrong on Zaha, I think he could be excellent for us. In fact I think he would bring something we desperately need. He has really developed as a player and I suggest you pay him more attention before writing him off with your preconceived notions on what he was/is/and when players stop developing.

Barkley Ive not seen enough of to judge. He played most of his football under Martinez, which raises a very pertinent point IMO:

I think Martinez is a rubbish manager. Particularly in that he barely organises his teams, is much more a "just go and express yourself" type manager. For a young player this is not always a good thing. It raises the question - is Barkley thick, as you say - or is it that Barkley hasnt yet been taught? Two very different things.

From the little Ive seen of him Barkley is clearly a very talented player in need of some actual education/management. Pochs forte. And given how well Poch has had similarly "thick" players playing Id have no hesitation in getting Barkley in and seeing what Poch can do with him - IF he the player Poch wants.

Last edited:
But home-grown as in came through an English academy. So doesn't count towards the limit of 17 overseas trained players. Remember we are already at our limit (as Dier counts as overseas; we are at 18 if you include Janssen). It's why Lamela isn't in the CL squad (where slightly different criteria applies)

Basically we can only sign English trained players at the moment, unless we move on GKN or exclude Gazzaniga from our squad.
The comment I was replying to was: "Calvert-Lewin is home grown and a promising player who is getting regular gametime, I don't think he will want to come and sit on our bench."
I interpreted that as part of a set of reasons why he wouldn't want to sit on Tottenham's bench.
I can't think why anyone would state that because someone has come through any English club's academy he wouldn't want to sit on Tottenham's bench, but could understand it if he was stating (incorrectly) that Calvert-Lewin was home-grown in the sense of coming through Everton's academy and therefore had a personal connection to Everton, he would be less likely to leave.
But others clearly interpreted the comment differently.

AC Milan to offer Dembélé Tottenham escape
dembele.tottenham.calcia.2017.2018.356x237.jpg

02 January at 14:40
AC Milan have emerged as possible contenders for Tottenham midfielder Moussa Dembélé. The Belgian International has picked up several injuries during his time in North London and currently struggling with game time under Mauricio Pochettino.

According to today’s edition of Il Corriere dello Sport (via Pianetamilan), the rossoneri have set sights on the 30-year-old and want him to take him to the San Siro in the January transfer window.

The Italian paper claims Dembélé does not want to extend his stay at Tottenham with his current contract set to expire in 2019.

AC Milan are looking for some midfield reinforcements but it is complicated for the rossoneri to sign either Jakub Jankto and Seko Fofana who had previously been linked with a move to Milan.

Fiorentina’s Milan Badelj is also a transfer target for the Serie A giants but Dembélé’s stocks are quickly rising as the player is not happy about his position at Tottenham and would live to leave the club to get more game time. AC Milan are ready to offer him an escape route.

First up - I love Dembele. Lets get that out of the way, because...

...I think this could really be a good move for him. Italy, and in particular AC, are well known to be very kind to players of Dembeles age and injury issues. A move like that, to a massive and competitive club, could well prolong his career.

I dont know that he is unhappy here as the article suggests, though I would say he hasnt been himself this season. But, lets be honest, he is permanently broken, and its fair at this time to ask just how long he could continue to be of use to us.

Id be sorry to see him go, but I feel losing him soon is inevitable - be that to injury or being replaced/sold, and because I like him I think a move like this could be great for him. To the point I wouldnt really mind it going ahead - so long as we bring in quality to replace him.

Back