• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ultimate Spurs 11 from your time following Spurs

I'm surprised Carrick's name has cropped up 4 times already.

I know those since the early-90s won't have many CM options, as it has traditionally been a weak position for us. But he wasn't that great and only had two seasons for us (75 apps). I'd put Dier (161 apps) or Dembele (210 apps) ahead of him, if I wasn't able to use Gazza alongside Modric.

We've had some damn fine looking players in my time.

Niko and Ginola are on the flanks. BAE had a certain something. All crossing it in for the big man upfront, Mr. Ginger Pele himself.
carlo cudicini - so some lilywhite ladies have said, gazzaniga too

From watching since the late seventies, the ones I'd include without doubt are:

Hoddle
Waddle
Gascogne
King
Berbatov
Modric
Bale
Kane

Too young for Jennings, don't really remember getting excited about Clemence, so Lloris gets the keepers spot.
To get the above into some sort of formation, I'll add Alderweireld and Vertonghen:

Lloris
Alderweireld...King...Vertonghen
Waddle......Hoddle......Modric......Bale
Gascogne
Berbatov...Kane
Watching that team, I'd need to buy a new rug every week.

Wish I'd been older when we won the double as I would have been wise enough to see how good Blanchflower and White were.

There is YouTube footage of the Double era side. Blanchflower's talents are not immediately apparent (I'm sure he was a good, influential player) but you can see almost everything goes through John White. He always seems to be available for a pass.

The other thing you notice is that while footage of the other players shows them moving normally, Cliff Jones moves like he was filmed using a hand-cranked camera like they used in the silent movie era (they cranked slower in the action sequences so the characters moved faster when the film was projected at normal speed in the cinema); he's like Buster Keaton with a jet pack.

King
King King King King
King King King King
King

subs : Paul 'Gazza' Gacoigne

Yes, who "kneeds" 11 players when you've got Ledley at the back, middle and front?

I was never sure about King's body language ...

Super Jan has been great this year. Deserves a mention somewhere.

There is YouTube footage of the Double era side. Blanchflower's talents are not immediately apparent (I'm sure he was a good, influential player) but you can see almost everything goes through John White. He always seems to be available for a pass.

The other thing you notice is that while footage of the other players shows them moving normally, Cliff Jones moves like he was filmed using a hand-cranked camera like they used in the silent movie era (they cranked slower in the action sequences so the characters moved faster when the film was projected at normal speed in the cinema); he's like Buster Keaton with a jet pack.

As a kid I only focused on the goals and players like Smith and Jones were always in the action and Dave Mackay always caught the eye, but I remember my dad saying Blanchflower was the heart and soul of the team along with the brains.

I'm surprised Carrick's name has cropped up 4 times already.

I know those since the early-90s won't have many CM options, as it has traditionally been a weak position for us. But he wasn't that great and only had two seasons for us (75 apps). I'd put Dier (161 apps) or Dembele (210 apps) ahead of him, if I wasn't able to use Gazza alongside Modric.

I don't think Dier has been anywhere close to Carricks level for us in CM

Although I only started really following football in the mid 90's, I've seen plenty of Spurs from the 80's so I'm gonna cheat a little.

Lloris - Can't think of a keeper who has been as consistently brilliant as Hugo.

Walker - We miss him and I can't believe some pundits still think we don't.
Alderweireld - Probably the most important defender we have in probably our best ever team in recent memory.
Campbell - Yeah yeah I know. He was my favourite Spurs player for a time, but outside of that he was such a good defender.
King - Captain of the side too.
Ziege - I loved Benny and Rose is also close, but the freekicks this guy had in his locker. If only he wasn't injured as often as he was.

Modric - Fantastic player. Severely underrated by so many until after his second season with Madrid (the Spanish press didn't rate him either).
Hoddle - I do wonder what our team today could do with a Hoddle in his prime sitting in midfield.

Bale - I thought he left us a season too early, but aside from the injuries he took Madrid in his stride.
Kane - Who else could lead the line? I haven't had the good fortune to watch some of our best ever, but he's the best I've seen.
Ginola - Even when we were brick, we were worth watching for the magical moments this guy could conjure up.

Subs
=========
Vertonghen - Narrowly misses out.
Rose - He's come a long was under Poch and is a more complete player than BAE.
Nielsen - Scored the goal that won us the league cup. Allowances can be made.
Carr - Another of my favourites. Scored some crackers.
Defoe - Out of him Keane and Kanoute, he was probably the most limited, but when he was on form he was great to watch.
Sheringham - I remember seeing more of him than Klinsmann.
Anderton - To supply the corners for Sheringham to volley.

I can't mention Gazza, because I never saw him play.

Been going since 1988:
Lloris
Walker Alderweireld King Rose

Ginola Gascoigne Modric Bale

Kane Sheringham

Thorstvedt, Vertonghen, Carrick, Anderton, Klinsmann, Lineker

This is an impossible task, not surprisingly the nearest team I would agree with was Parklane1's but I would probablly picked Gough instead of England, was pleased to see Phil Beal get picked by JST1882, he was very underrated player. Perryman was a great club man but would never get in my side nor would Ginola, I never got the worship thing!. Wish Danny Thomas had not been crippled by the thug at QPR as I thought he had the makings of a great player. It's a tragedy when you see so many great players wore our shirts but we never got the mix right.

Good shout about Gough and who knows if he had stayed around for longer then one season then he may have showed more ( but that was never happening as the deal with Rangers was the reason he came here), what he did do was improve Mabbut who imo had his best ever season playing along side him.

Like you i never got the worship about Ginola either, he was a light in a dark tunnel but was a typical winger ( of the time) more often then not he would not perform.

Like you i never got the worship about Ginola either, he was a light in a dark tunnel but was a typical winger ( of the time) more often then not he would not perform.
Agreed. Good but not that good. Stood out because the rest were poor. If he was that good, bigger teams would have come knocking. As it was, Saudi Sportswashing Machine were probably a bigger side at the time and he stepped down to come to us.

Hugo in goal - Clemence was passed it by the time I was watching regularly

Right back Walker - we have had some very good ones but none in my lifetime that could claim to be truly world class
Centre backs would be King and Toby purely because the were the bets in the league at the time
Left back is Rose for the same reasons as Walker

Right wing would be Ruel Fox.... just kidding!!!! It would be waddle played out of position
Hoddle and a truly fit Dembele would play centre mid with Bale left wing

Up front would be lineker and Kane

GHod that’s hard to do and to leave out some genuine legends

Hugo in goal - Clemence was passed it by the time I was watching regularly

Right back Walker - we have had some very good ones but none in my lifetime that could claim to be truly world class
Centre backs would be King and Toby purely because the were the bets in the league at the time
Left back is Rose for the same reasons as Walker

Right wing would be Ruel Fox.... just kidding!!!! It would be waddle played out of position
Hoddle and a truly fit Dembele would play centre mid with Bale left wing

Up front would be lineker and Kane

GHod that’s hard to do and to leave out some genuine legends
I like your team for the most part and I’m a massive Dembele fan, but no Gazza?

Back