• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fernando Llorente

We had four strikers for two positions. Kane is better than all of them, even Berba. And in Son and Llorente we have at least decent cover.

I do wonder a bit about the Llorente signing. To me it signals that we rate a young striker highly, if not I think we would have gone for someone younger. Could be that we think Janssen will come back and be a player for us, or it could be Sterling.

should have course just be that we couldn't find or sign anyone we wanted so we just went for cover in Llorente. I'm putting my money on Sterling though.
Yes I know was for two striker roles, but point being we had two good back up strikers who scored goals when they was playing. I dont get the Llorente signing at all, never did - said from the get go I wanted Jansen to be given another opportunity, plenty have had needed a season to bed in and second half of season really felt like was beginning to get into gear, albeit the goals were lacking still. Llorente just doesnt look mobile enough to me. I dont think it necessarily signals we rate another young striker, Kane plays 80% of the time, Llorente still has a couple of years left at the top in him and Son sometimes plays up front....

Could be the problem is having someone on the bench who is not match fit? Whoever plays understudy won't get many minutes. Perhaps it should be a youngster playing regularly for the Development Squad?
As it stands, we don't look any better off than with Janssen.

can see the logic in that for sure - though not sure how it would work out with the scheduling of games?

Wonder if the pressure of being the backup striker to Kane is the real reason that affected Janssen and now Llorente. Find it hard to believe that Llorente scored 15 league goals for Swansea last season as he doesn't look like scoring any goals for us now. In fact, Llorente doesn't even have a shot on target for us !

Definitely needs to do some work on the training ground, kept occupying the exact same position as Kane in the area making it easy for defenders. His hold up play has been relatively poor as well and on current viewing I fail to see what he brings compared to Janssen. This should have been the game for him, plenty of crosses but his aerial ability was non existent and looks a shadow of the player he did for Swansea.

Could it be that Swansea played with wide forwards/wingers like Routledge and Ayew so he got crosses from more advanced positions, whereas we dont? Had quite high hopes for Llorente but not seeing much at the moment...

Could it be that Swansea played with wide forwards/wingers like Routledge and Ayew so he got crosses from more advanced positions, whereas we dont? Had quite high hopes for Llorente but not seeing much at the moment...
Totally agree with the end of your post. It appeared at Swansea as if his aerial ability was his best quality. I still expected more from his all around play and I have yet to really recall him making a significant impact with his cameos. For all his faults, VJ often came on and created an outlet and picked up some fouls that lead to a couple of goals.

I would agree with you, but the crosses coming in from Trippier was from advanced positions, likewise Sonny and Davies - one of the few games where I can say that as we still decide to cluster the hell out of the middle for some reason. Llorente didn't attack any of them, he basically sat on Kane as if his only agenda was to try to knock one down into the box rather then trying to score. His all round play has been extremely poor and while I get it will take time for him to get used the movement of our players, I still cant help but be disappointed with him so far this season.

Major, major disappointment, he is in the twilight of his career but he's done next to nothing for us aside from looking like a big unit up top, I hate it when people make excuses for people, "not playing to his strengths, not giving him service" etc, thats b@llox, he needs to find space for himself, get into position like all strikers do, I was so pleased when we offloaded Janssen but so far it looks like Llorente is here only for one last payday.

so far it looks like Llorente is here only for one last payday.

I dont think that bit is fair. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's not trying, more than he's not able to get into scoring positions, beat defenders to the ball etc

I dont think that bit is fair. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's not trying, more than he's not able to get into scoring positions, beat defenders to the ball etc
Hold the ball up, play an incisive pass, make runs dragging defenders making space for team-mates, draw fouls in dangerous areas, run the clock down, beat the keep when through on goal...

Hold the ball up, play an incisive pass, make runs dragging defenders making space for team-mates, draw fouls in dangerous areas, run the clock down, beat the keep when through on goal...

Still doesnt dis-prove my point - he doesnt look like he's not trying, just simply doesnt look good enough (any more)

Back