• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

All I can say is whenever I have watched him he has always put in a shift. Where I would agree though is he has never managed to produce for the senior side the type of form he's shown this year in youth internationals and for Villa.

Then again he's never had a long run of games with the senior side. How many other players have we seen improve out of all recognition once they get a regular berth?

But it's an issue of several layers

When he has played first team he has played wide and IMO (and that of a lot on here when you look back) he has been poor to tolerable at best, so hanst earnt the chance to start next game. I've never seen him out a shift in wide personally and thought he looked lazy

However seeing him play centre mid with his age group he looks top drawer and there's the rub. You can judge a player out of position IMO and you have to judge them in their best position which for josh is clearly centre mid

What I will say is you would assume the experience of playing wide will help him longer term

Not trying to sound like a pr*ck here but perhaps the Nigerian football federation could you know set up a youth national team in Nigeria and coach players, Maybe they could even find yound Nigerians in Nigeria who like football enough to play it for a living and go and play for Nigerian football teams. Maybe if the people in Nigeria like football enough they would go along to a local stadium and pay to watch men kicking a football about(pointless activity when you stop and think about it)
Then maybe Nigeria would have more players for their national team.

I say this as someone who likes the way African teams play and would happily see one win a world cup. Love how the Germans and the Africans play football, that brick Spain and Italy play you can stick up your arse. Good luck to Africa and all but produce your players.

Nigerian football is drowning in corruption and maladministration, and then added to that club football is quickly dying because Nigerians would rather watch the EPL, Spanish, Italian, German, French and Champions League football.

Last edited:
On another note, 3 Nigerians in that goal ... Onomah, Abraham and Solanke. The Nigerian Football Federation has a tough job convincing these kids not to play for England. However looking at how the likes of Ehiogu, Agbonlahor, Ameobi, Onuoha fared may be a warning. IF England doesnt make these kids believe they have a future with the team, forget it - they will jump ship. Cant blame them..

As long as the corrupt idiots run the NFA most of them will chose England, and remember there are also financial benefits as well.

But it is not like they will ever win anything playing for the English national team

Not trying to sound like a pr*ck here but perhaps the Nigerian football federation could you know set up a youth national team in Nigeria and coach players, Maybe they could even find yound Nigerians in Nigeria who like football enough to play it for a living and go and play for Nigerian football teams. Maybe if the people in Nigeria like football enough they would go along to a local stadium and pay to watch men kicking a football about(pointless activity when you stop and think about it)

I say this as someone who likes the way African teams play and would happily see one win a world cup. Love how the Germans and the Africans play football, that brick Spain and Italy play you can stick up your arse. Good luck to Africa and all but produce your players.

I think it's going to take decades before African teams will reach the levels of the past, the Federation have been groomed by FIFA and are rotten, any young talent gets grabbed up quickly by European sides, which is never going to change when you see the financial gains for them and their families.

On another note, 3 Nigerians in that goal ... Onomah, Abraham and Solanke. The Nigerian Football Federation has a tough job convincing these kids not to play for England. However looking at how the likes of Ehiogu, Agbonlahor, Ameobi, Onuoha fared may be a warning. IF England doesnt make these kids believe they have a future with the team, forget it - they will jump ship. Cant blame them..

Good thing Alex Iwobi made the right choice as he has just come on and scored the goal that will send us through to the WC if the result stays the same:):):)
His uncle will be proud, as am I even though he is a Goon

The Nigerian youth team at any level has a better record than any English national youth team at any level. The only trophy England has won where Nigeria has competed and not won is the World Cup. Apart from that - forget it. Nigerian teams deliver in spite of our poor administrators and lack of vision. Nigerian players like other South American and African players leave the country due to economic factors. There is a thriving local league which produces players and the country has enough players. That said - if any Nigerian player anywhere (born in Nigeria, Europe, North America or elsewhere) want to play for their country, then I am strongly in support of their doing so especially when I see how the international careers of certain players stalked.

PS your post comes off all wrong. It took a lot for me to not reply it in the same condescending manner you wrote it.

Good thing Alex Iwobi made the right choice as he has just come on and scored the goal that will send us through to the WC if the result stays the same:):):)
His uncle will be proud, as am I even though he is a Goon

Good luck to England trying to persuade the likes of Tammy Abraham, Joshua Onomah et al that they can play in the 2018 or 2022 World Cups. Nigeria will offer that to them! I miss Ugo Ehiogu.

Nigerians?.... I thought all 3 were English? When did each of them leave Nigeria to come to the UK?

They are Nigerians who have decided to play for England. I smile when I look at the European sportsmen and women who are first generation Nigerians. Dont worry - I am well assured that they prefer a bowl of hot swallow with solid local soup to fish and chips. Even Dele Alli!! :D:

So a player who's born in England, presumably played all his youth football in England, and still plays in England, isn't English?

Anyhow, congrats on qualifying on that dreadful pitch today.

Well .. ask FIFA!! Diego Costa / Deco are from Brazil.

I agree but that's the other way around. If you've had the misfortune to be born in Enfield you should be stuck with bloody England like the rest of us [emoji6]

So a player who's born in England, presumably played all his youth football in England, and still plays in England, isn't English?

Anyhow, congrats on qualifying on that dreadful pitch today.

Just another reason why international football is meaningless.

The Nigerian youth team at any level has a better record than any English national youth team at any level. The only trophy England has won where Nigeria has competed and not won is the World Cup. Apart from that - forget it. Nigerian teams deliver in spite of our poor administrators and lack of vision. Nigerian players like other South American and African players leave the country due to economic factors. There is a thriving local league which produces players and the country has enough players. That said - if any Nigerian player anywhere (born in Nigeria, Europe, North America or elsewhere) want to play for their country, then I am strongly in support of their doing so especially when I see how the international careers of certain players stalked.

PS your post comes off all wrong. It took a lot for me to not reply it in the same condescending manner you wrote it.

Post was not meant to come across like that. I really do like African football because they actually play attacking and try to score goals. I also think most would beat England. It is just after hearing interviews with Onomah, the kid is about as Nigerian as I am. Poor kid is English, but at least he is spurs.

Nigerian football is drowning in corruption and maladministration, and then added to that club football is quickly dying because Nigerians would rather watch the EPL, Spanish, Italian, German, French and Champions League football.

That is sad and I wish it were not so. Frankly if it were not for my love of Tottenham I would probably give up on top flight football.

It is happening all over the world and it makes me sad, people buying into hype. If I lived in Nigeria and that is not really going to happen as I am to old to move there for work or anything like that, but if I lived there I would want to go and watch my local side play.

Well .. ask FIFA!! Diego Costa / Deco are from Brazil.

They most definitely are Brazilian and clearly indentufy as Brazilian (look at where Costa has been hiding)

I don't read about the likes of Onomah or Abraham buffering off to Lagos on their time off

I'm all for players playing for a country of their choice as that's the way of the world but I do see some strange things formmafrican football claiming players as their own when their playing for other countries... like Alli for example

That is sad and I wish it were not so. Frankly if it were not for my love of Tottenham I would probably give up on top flight football.

It is happening all over the world and it makes me sad, people buying into hype. If I lived in Nigeria and that is not really going to happen as I am to old to move there for work or anything like that, but if I lived there I would want to go and watch my local side play.

No you wouldn't ...

There is a reason people watch the big leagues, part of it is some folks are bandwagon fans or glory seekers, but part of it is just the quality of the game.

Most local leagues would be at best semi-pro equivalent, as nice as the idea of supporting local is, making a trip to a ground to watch 90 minutes of awful, on brick pitches, with sub standard refs every time gets tired very quickly. Especially if you are accustomed watching a Poch Spurs side.

No you wouldn't ...

There is a reason people watch the big leagues, part of it is some folks are bandwagon fans or glory seekers, but part of it is just the quality of the game.

Most local leagues would be at best semi-pro equivalent, as nice as the idea of supporting local is, making a trip to a ground to watch 90 minutes of awful, on brick pitches, with sub standard refs every time gets tired very quickly. Especially if you are accustomed watching a Poch Spurs side.

I watch quite a lot of non-league football and really enjoy it. It is the same as at all levels, in that there are some teams who try to play the right way and others who don't.

Back