• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

I've been watching her speech. It seems like one big pity party.

Excruciating to watch, without even picking apart the content.

I think @nayimfromthehalfwayline post above nails why Johnson can say and do as he pleases right now. May has no real power, a weird thing to say about a PM, I know.

Its a weird one. I genuinely think she is trying to do the right things. A lot of what she says, if read neutrally, isnt bad at all.

However, its often too reactionary. Rather than pro active. And she just oozes weakness. She just doesnt seem to have the stones or wit for the job, and yet as I say I really believe she is genuine, and genuinely giving her best.

I see no way she can continue though. Even today, in her supposed rousing speech - she is in tears at getting heckled. Thats not someone you would let lead you across the street, let alone run an entire nation.

Its a weird one. I genuinely think she is trying to do the right things. A lot of what she says, if read neutrally, isnt bad at all.

However, its often too reactionary. Rather than pro active. And she just oozes weakness. She just doesnt seem to have the stones or wit for the job, and yet as I say I really believe she is genuine, and genuinely giving her best.

I see no way she can continue though. Even today, in her supposed rousing speech - she is in tears at getting heckled. Thats not someone you would let lead you across the street, let alone run an entire nation.

I think that's being very generous to her. She was a poor home secretary (missing her own targets, tone deaf with her "go home" vans, bungling the child abuse enquiry) and took a gamble on being PM while all the other contenders shot themselves in the foot. Her and her team thought all they had to do was a bit of Corbyn bashing and whilst riding high in the polls, she'd get a big majority. She's an abject failure and out of her depth, the only thing genuine about her is her desire to cling on to power by her fingernails.

Now in a minority government, she's binned most of her manifesto and limps along regardless. The big sells in her speech were warmed up Millibandism and she delivered it in one part Dalek, one part Bob Flemming. WTF is the 'British Dream' supposed to be? Insecure employment and housing? If she's doing Americanisms now, I'd suggest her speech was a train wreck that crashed into a dumpster fire.

I didnt say she was any good, quite the opposite. Just that I believe she believes in what she is doing. I think she is doing her best.
Which at this point is clearly nothing like good enough.

Even if you put aside her GHod awful delivery and the set falling down around her ears (not to mention the P45 prank) -- the content of the speech was rubbish.

"Don't tell me free markets don't work...but here's an energy price cap from Ed Miliband. Yeah I know we rubbished it when he came out with it, but this is the free market version of government intervention."

"I'm going to make housing my mission. The Sun reported some kind of Macmillanesque council house building program. In reality, we're going to try and build 5 thousand a year...what do you mean, 'is this a joke?'"

"Corbyn Corbyn, Venezuela something. No, we aren't trying to give the appearance of tacking left because we are sh1t scared that Corbyn's Labour will win and half the audience in this conference hall will be dead by the next election. Honest."

About the best thing she came up with was the automatic opt-in for organ donors, and Corbyn already did the same last week.

The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg said that while many MPs wanted her to stay as leader, there were "emerging plots".

These involved Tory MPs trying to get support to approach Mrs May privately and persuade her to stand aside.

This group will only act if they feel they have the numbers to do so "quickly and cleanly", our political editor said, adding: "It is just not clear at the moment where the numbers really lie."

The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg said that while many MPs wanted her to stay as leader, there were "emerging plots".

These involved Tory MPs trying to get support to approach Mrs May privately and persuade her to stand aside.

This group will only act if they feel they have the numbers to do so "quickly and cleanly", our political editor said, adding: "It is just not clear at the moment where the numbers really lie."

Their problem is there's no unity/obvious candidate. Their last leadership election showed that. Johnson is too Brexit, Hammond is too remain, Rudd is too May mk.II, and Davidson isn't eligible because she's not an MP yet. I think that's why they generally want to prop up May till March 2019, when Brexit will be done with and the future will be an open book.

Rudd also has a tiny majority (less than 350 votes), so unless she was to quit that constituency, then go and stand in a safe seat with an MP who agreed to give it up, I don't see how she could lead them into another election. And do the Tories want to trigger a by-election in such a marginal right now?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out now. I actually have a feeling that Joe Public will be far more sympathetic to May after yesterday than the media vultures, but we'll see.

Do you think there is less appetite for economic Brexit now? Not the red herring Brexit we were sold about immigration and sovereignty, but the real one where we leave a free trade union?

Seems to be less fight back on here. Maybe with prices going up in the shops there is less bravado to cease our membership of the worlds largest trading block?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Will be interesting to see how this plays out now. I actually have a feeling that Joe Public will be far more sympathetic to May after yesterday than the media vultures, but we'll see.

I don't think it will make much difference to the voting public; those who are older, voted Tory last time and want Brexit will still like her or any Tory leader. Those who are opposed to her and the Tories will still be that way. It gives her political enemies in the Tory party a bit more ammo though.

Brexit is the dominant factor, until that is resolved then I think the Tory vote will hold up (barring May bricking all over herself, or Johnson blacking up -- even then, the older voters wouldn't care.)

Back