• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

Very mixed bag overall too yesterday. Gets credit for a very important recovering tackle in the box... but in the buildup to that he first slides in to intercept and misses. Recovers to help out Alderweireld, but gets himself caught square and gets done along with Alderweireld in one move. Has to take a solid hold of his opponent's shirt to recover again, then the good tackle. Could have been a penalty. Could have been another when he headed the ball into his own arm.

Not convinced he's a better option than Trippier at the moment. But the talent is still very much there.

Love the guy. Won't be surprised to see Real and Barca come in for him once he callibrates his technique to the EPL. Has everything to be a top rate player.

Very mixed bag overall too yesterday. Gets credit for a very important recovering tackle in the box... but in the buildup to that he first slides in to intercept and misses. Recovers to help out Alderweireld, but gets himself caught square and gets done along with Alderweireld in one move. Has to take a solid hold of his opponent's shirt to recover again, then the good tackle. Could have been a penalty. Could have been another when he headed the ball into his own arm.

Not convinced he's a better option than Trippier at the moment. But the talent is still very much there.

He's vastly ahead of Trippier at this point, and here's why. We have a solid back line that concedes very little, what we need is FBs that are more offensive.

Trippier has regressed this season in terms of threat, he goes up the pitch, gets the pass from midfield or CB's, and the vast majority of the time just stands on the fudging ball, then passes backward. Where he was last season when he would put in multiple crosses one after the other seems to have faded.

He's more of a threat, he takes on his man, he's physical, much more of a Poch player than Trippier. Rose was far worse re discipline and Poch fixed that, so no worries for me.

The guy is a seriously good player and he's definitely at the right club to have these kind of brainfarts coached out of him. The one thing that I did notice was that he didn't behave like an arrogant taco when he got carded or in the first half when Oliver gave him a talking. He respectfully listened and took the cards without becoming an arse. That's not something I expected to see given his fiery temper. I don't know if he behave that way due to the fact that he's new in this league, or if it's just how he is on the pitch, but if it's the latter, I really like that and I think refs just may be a bit more lenient to him.

Poch is the best person to explain when you need to slide and when you need to stay on your feet. I have full faith that he will be able to explain this to Serge.

The guy is a seriously good player and he's definitely at the right club to have these kind of brainfarts coached out of him. The one thing that I did notice was that he didn't behave like an arrogant taco when he got carded or in the first half when Oliver gave him a talking. He respectfully listened and took the cards without becoming an arse. That's not something I expected to see given his fiery temper. I don't know if he behave that way due to the fact that he's new in this league, or if it's just how he is on the pitch, but if it's the latter, I really like that and I think refs just may be a bit more lenient to him.

I noticed that about how quietly he went off, him and Dele are marked men. I think e realises that now.

while true that we didn't lose, he was a bright spark in the game not only in attack but also in defence. and sissok seemed to be do well around him too. #makesthingshappen

while true that we didn't lose, he was a bright spark in the game not only in attack but also in defence. and sissok seemed to be do well around him too. #makesthingshappen
I thought Aurier had a poor game.... seemed to be all over the place (in a bad way) with his positioning.

From the little I've seen so far he looks better for us than Trippier (who I like) as he offers more pace, strength and aggression. Yes, he needs to temper the last but I'm sure he will, given the guidance he will get.

Did anybody else notice Poch say "Mad" to Hernandez (who was standing beside him on the touchline) when Serge did Carroll in the tackle that saw him sent off? :D

I thought Aurier had a poor game.... seemed to be all over the place (in a bad way) with his positioning.
did you notice some of his defensive tackles? I thought that he was all over the place in a good way lol.
if anything our back three just needs to get used to each other and improve movment backing up and covering space

He's vastly ahead of Trippier at this point, and here's why. We have a solid back line that concedes very little, what we need is FBs that are more offensive.

Trippier has regressed this season in terms of threat, he goes up the pitch, gets the pass from midfield or CB's, and the vast majority of the time just stands on the fudging ball, then passes backward. Where he was last season when he would put in multiple crosses one after the other seems to have faded.

He's more of a threat, he takes on his man, he's physical, much more of a Poch player than Trippier. Rose was far worse re discipline and Poch fixed that, so no worries for me.

I don't think it's fair to assume that Aurier will improve like you say whilst saying that Trippier has regressed and faded. Just as likely that Trippier will regain his form from last season.

Trippier had 5 assists for us last season in 6 league starts and 6 sub appearances. That's not ever going to be a sustainable rate. But it's also the same that Aurier has over his last two seasons, over 40+ games for PSG in the French league.

Conclusions about who is the biggest attacking threat are premature imo.

There's more to being an attacking threat than just assist numbers - beating your man and stretching play is also very important and is why Walker would be considered a bigger attacking threat than Trippier and why based on what we have seen of Auriers game people expect the same from him.

Good to have both options in the squad though

There's more to being an attacking threat than just assist numbers - beating your man and stretching play is also very important and is why Walker would be considered a bigger attacking threat than Trippier and why based on what we have seen of Auriers game people expect the same from him.

Good to have both options in the squad though
I agree, there is more to it. Trippier is rather good at a lot of the other stuff too. Pass and move, close control, creating a bit of space.

I would turn that around to there's a lot more to attacking play than just pace and power. End product is definitely one of those.

I always thought Walker was overrated as an attacking threat (though he certainly developed and got better) and underrated defensively.

All that being said Aurier can definitely settle in and prove himself better, or develop and get better. But right now I don't rate him higher than Trippier. Agree about options though for sure.

I don't think it's fair to assume that Aurier will improve like you say whilst saying that Trippier has regressed and faded. Just as likely that Trippier will regain his form from last season.

Trippier had 5 assists for us last season in 6 league starts and 6 sub appearances. That's not ever going to be a sustainable rate. But it's also the same that Aurier has over his last two seasons, over 40+ games for PSG in the French league.

Conclusions about who is the biggest attacking threat are premature imo.

So let me start with .. I don't want my statement of Aurier being good to be mistaken for me saying Trippier is brick.

To me a big part of Aurier's advantage (somewhat like Walker) is simply who would you prefer to play against, Pace, Physicality and the ability to beat their man generally means most teams would prefer to face Trippier vs either of Walker/Aurier. The fact that in the past we have seen people target Trippier (and Davies), which I don't recall seeing against Rose/Walker only highlights that.

I think Trippier is already 2nd choice (so Poch's view), hopefully he steps up and brings his form/tactics of last season (especially against team that park the bus), which quite honestly is as simple as play off Eriksen to buy space and whoever gets that space put an early cross in. With Dele, Harry and potentially Llorente, lots of opportunity.

did you notice some of his defensive tackles? I thought that he was all over the place in a good way lol.
if anything our back three just needs to get used to each other and improve movment backing up and covering space
I noticed him diving in and missing one up near the half way lin,e that then led to Arnautovic being in on goal, with Aurier ending up making a last ditch tackle (where it should've been a penalty to West Ham as Aurier had been pulling his shirt for several paces before making the tackle). I also noticed him giving away quite a number of free kicks, I also noticed him diving in with a ridiculous tackle on Carroll in West Ham's half of the pitch with Aurier having been booked only a few minutes earlier. Aside from that I noticed that Arnautovic seemed to get into a number of very good positions that he didn't capitalise on due to poor decision making/execution on his part.

I don't doubt that Aurier is a good player and will improve once he is used to our team and PL football, but on Saturday I thought he was terrible.

Back