• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Erik Thorstvedt - was he all that?

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
I feel blasphemous even thinking this but having watched back several of the end of season reviews (what else is there to do during international break?) it struck me how many mistakes Erik the Viking made which cost us goals.

As a kid Erik was right up there with Gazza and Lineker and I'd have said that Hugo was the best keeper we've had since him but in hindsight he dropped as many clangers as Keller and Gomes.

Perhaps the standard of goalkeeping is just so miuch higher today or perhaps there simply wasn't the same level of analysis as there is today....or maybe I just had a blind spot??

I was always aware of his deficiencies, but his attitude and commitment were top notch, and he loved (and still loves) the club. He made some blinding saves too.

I feel blasphemous even thinking this but having watched back several of the end of season reviews (what else is there to do during international break?) it struck me how many mistakes Erik the Viking made which cost us goals.

As a kid Erik was right up there with Gazza and Lineker and I'd have said that Hugo was the best keeper we've had since him but in hindsight he dropped as many clangers as Keller and Gomes.

Perhaps the standard of goalkeeping is just so miuch higher today or perhaps there simply wasn't the same level of analysis as there is today....or maybe I just had a blind spot??

Perhaps his winning personality has helped how people look back at him?

Are there any good sites for watching those kind of season reviews?

Jennings, Clemence, Brown, Ditchburn and Lloris are in a class of their own

But I'd put Thorstvedt on top of the next tier. He was better than Robinson, Walker, Parks, Mimms, Daines, Aleksic, Gomes, Friedel, Sullivan, Keller etc.

I don't remember seeing him play until our FA Cup winning season, but the following seasons I thought he was just getting better and better. He was immense at the 94 WC. Could have been one of the best in the world, but injuries got to him. Even with a bad back he was still better than Walker.

I don't remember seeing him play until our FA Cup winning season, but the following seasons I thought he was just getting better and better. He was immense at the 94 WC. Could have been one of the best in the world, but injuries got to him. Even with a bad back he was still better than Walker.

Like Gareth Bale's early no wins career, Kane in August and us at Wembley, he had a short little curse at the start of his career with us. Basically for a couple of successive times he made a mistake when we were the live game on The Big Match. It was called his 'tv curse'. Because of that reputation, he's generally underrated by casual observers.

Walker was a joke

He really was. So half assed, didn't look to care most of the time - as opposed to Thorstvedt, who always seemed to give a brick. I agree that he's not in the same category as lloris, maybe closer to gomes's level, but he gets a lot of points for his sympathetic personality and for continuing to be a yid. I met him a few times as a fan when I was a kid, and he was the nicest guy you could imagine, discussed spurs with me for a couple of minutes when I was only ten or so - top bloke. He's a pundit in Norway now, he's spurs through and through, and does little to hide it. :)

Like Gareth Bale's early no wins career, Kane in August and us at Wembley, he had a short little curse at the start of his career with us. Basically for a couple of successive times he made a mistake when we were the live game on The Big Match. It was called his 'tv curse'. Because of that reputation, he's generally underrated by casual observers.

Yeah they were his debut and the game a couple after that IIRC. Awful mistakes and ones not repeated

Top bloke though. He knocked by mum over walking into Norwichs ground and could have been more apologetic or helpful

Perhaps his winning personality has helped how people look back at him?

Are there any good sites for watching those kind of season reviews?

They're mostly all on youtube....here's 1989/90 season

One of his best performances came in a 1-0 defeat at Anfield which was live on ITV....you can see extended highlights on the link.

Don't remember seeing him play, but remember him being on the front cover of FIFA 95 so must of been quality....

My memories of him are that he could make some absolutely world class saves on his day - one away game at Coventry comes to mind where he made 2 or 3 genuinely unbelievable stops - but, as has been noted, he was very prone to clangers. And he loved dropping them against Nottingham Forest as I recall!

Very under-rated keeper I thought, apart from the howler on his debut (let a long-range effort through his hands, against Forest if I recall correctly)

Back