• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT SPURS v burnley

Poor decisions cost us today. Kane could, and should, have taken the ball to the corner flag. Instead he plays a poor ball that missed Winks, Burnley break away, and score. Trippier caught out of position, like last week. Aurier is much welcome!

And Dier needs a kick up his ass! He plays with a body language and arrogance like he thinks he's a lot better than he really is. We need Wanyama back to his best sooner rather than later. Dier just looks half arsed.
Body language

Yes, but didn't we have the second smallest pitch in WHL after Stoke?

So less of an adjustment for the rest.

White Hart Lane was the smallest pitch in the top flight last season at 100m by 67m. The only sides this season which don't meet UEFA standard are: Everton (100.48m x 68m), Chelsea (103m x 67.5m), Huddersfield (106m x 66.9m), Crystal Palace and Liverpool (both 101m x 68m).

DHWxBi_XUAAjR09.jpg

It's not "much" longer! It's 5 meters. That's three steps when jogging.
This!

DHVX2DXXkAATcww.jpg

i also think the sheer size and crowd distance creates an optical challenge when spraying balls. We need time to get used to it. I always felt that we would not do well this season. I am fine with that tbh. so long as we are able to retain Poch and most of our core players. put up with so much rubbish in the 90s. compared to that...this team is a dream :)

all these posts about pitch size, if you can't defend, it doesn't matter if the pitch is 50m or 300m, whats happened to our backline, ok trippier was ball watching for their goal but we had a few scares before that. Dyche had burnley well organized and harried us off the ball in the middle of the park, they showed their win at chelsea wasn't a total fluke but we had chances to go 2 up and didnt take them. A supersub was needed today but like me, Poch thinks Janssen is about as useful as a lump of coal so hopefully we get a "fox in the box" before friday.

There seems to me to be a problem Houston. The squad don't appear to have the swagger or smile of last season. The question is, why?

Wembley? Possibly
Rose's outburst? Maybe
Transfer rumors? Could be.
Kane's August hoodoo? A possible contributor.
Fitness level? All three games we have gone to sleep in the last 10 minutes.
Early season blues? Seems to happen every year under Poch
Lack of Full back pace? Need to address this
Game changers from bench? Still time to strengthen the squad

Whatever the reason (s), we need to find the solution fast.

One of the good moments yesterday was hearing how loud the atmosphere can be. When Alli scored, the next 5-10 minutes, the place was a lot louder than for the rest of the game. It's a shame that we can't consistently bring the atmosohere. I try, but sat in block 223, I shout and no one else follows.

The most vocal person in the block is a kid that keeps shouting that the goal is in the other direction, when we pass the ball backwards to retain possession. That and such other kid like observations but it's refreshing that they actually have passion about the match and want to make some noise.

Hopefully we can get louder as the season continues. The result shouldn't dictate the atmosohere, it will have an effect, sure, but we need to all step up the noise levels. Let's get Wembley noisy. The alternative is to be like the Library.

Having watched the match back, albeit the Sky Sports Highlights, I'm a little happier.

We created enough chances to score 2 or more (if the game was played 4 days later in September Kane scores!). We transitioned the ball through the thirds and into goalscoring opportunities - from what I absorbed of the actual match itself though I felt that we did not have spells of attacks - at times at WHL in the last 2 seasons we've had wave after wave of attacks in intense 5-10 min spells which didn't occur yesterday - i.e. we seem to be lacking some intensity. I really thought we'd score before half-time; from about the 30th minute we seemed to build up some momentum and the ball was permanently in their half; it's clutching at straws but how the ref only played 1 extra minute (when their physio had been on twice) is beyond me (there certainly wasn't 4 x more stoppages at the end of the 2nd half).

Burnley's game plan having gone a goal behind was to cling on for dear life and if, as was the case, were still only a goal behind with 10 mins left, to put us under pressure. It's strange to see us suffer that sort of nervousness as even last season when we were defending a narrow lead late on we always looked very assured; this is where even the slightest feeling of unfamilairity or lack of confidence manifests itself. To be fair, that pass from Brady was exquisite although Trippier clearly at fault for, not the first time, losing a forward on his blind side.

does feel as if there are a number of mental factors playing on minds at the moment that only a few back to back wins will put right.

Oppurtunity missed.

Friday morning, speaking to a delivery driver who was from Leeds, although his brother was a Spurs fan. We got talking and he mentions Burnley has signed Wood. I told him if he wanted to make some easy money this weekend, bet Wood to score anytime. As he pointed out, he might not start they have Vokes, so we probably both didnt carry out bet.
Uncanny though now many times it happens to us

Wembley is the easy out here, it had nothing to do with the basic errors.

Wembley has nothing to do with scoring one goal in 2 games despite having 70% of the ball

Wembley has nothing to do with in game management - by the players and coaches.

Exactly

A team as good as ours should manage these games better

Normally we'd win a game with these numbers. Same as we would normally draw against chelski last week. So two anomalies in a row, really.

I hope it evens out over the season. Thinking of us like Emirates Marketing Project last year though. Wasn't their XG high typically but they would concede key chances and draw a lot of games?

Whatever it is, Wembley, lack of match fitness, transfer window mucking with the heads of the players, I hope we sort it soon. We are making mistakes that we just wouldn't have made last year.

What was the attendance yesterday ?
Seemed like a lot more empty seats on the highlights than for Chelsea

We'll be strong as the season progresses. Adding some fresh blood will help, and when Rose, Lamela and Wanyama are back, we'll have a very strong squad.
Lloris, Vorm, Gazzinga
Trippier, KWP, Aurier, Sanchez, Alderweireld, (Foyth), Verthongen, Davies, Rose
Wanyama, Dembele, Dier, Winks
Lamela, Eriksen, Son, Alli, Sissoko, (Barkley), Nkoudu, Oakley-Boothe
Kane, Janssen/New Striker.

No it doesn't.

Also, since when do signings automatically guarantee points?

It's just not that simple.
Over one season you are right, because nothing is guaranteed, but surely it is better to get your players in early and have a full squad available?
How many times has this happened? It must make a difference.
Poch is saying he needs 3 more players. It is going to be a last minute scramble, where we could end up with anyone. Perhaps trying to hijack and deal , like Sissoko.

Very disappointed, it all comes down to sloppy passing. People will run and run when good things are happening, but charging back & forth to cover for sloppy play saps the mind.

Not on enough taking players on, and why no chips through the defence (a la Saudi Sportswashing Machine game) ?

Subs were a mystery. New boy came on and had his pocket picked straight away - welcome to EPL. I want Georgiou on the bench for impact, and Winks on earlier.

It'll come, but it had better be soon.

If you went to Wembley yesterday - did they water the pitch before and after? Looked a bit slow again, just 10% slow, no zip

Back