• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT SPURS v burnley

Today's game reminded me so much of those early games under AVB - two very similar 1-1 draws with WBA and then Norwich when, if you remember, we dominated, scored in the second half, failed to score a second, got nervous and then conceded in stoppage time. Perhaps the unfamilairity of Wembley contributed but I really don't recall us looking that nervous with a lead under Poch.

The extra space at Wembley really exposes our lack of pace in wide areas; davies and trippier have been below par but lets not underestimate the fact that they're not as good as Walker and Rose and the latter's absence from the team makes us weaker. That said the last two occasions we've played Burnley at home we've struggled and only just secured wins (dec 2014 and dec 2016 - both 2-1).

It's not armageddon folks but equally doesn't create a positive vibe at a time when it would be great to kill the 'wembley hoodoo narrative'

As an aside, I like Sean Dyche - one of the better opposition coaches, imo. Yes, he plays anti-football the majority of the time, but that's necessary given Burnley's size, stature and squad. He's honest about it, doesn't have pretensions about it, doesn't get defensive about it, and gives credit where it's due when he *is* beaten.

More down to earth, and thus refreshing, than the majority of coaches in the league.

On reflection, any of about 10 chances could have gone flying in and I'd be happy... but it is so frustrating to dominate a match like that and then slowly start to show signs of weakness... I had a strong feeling that newbie would score, he kept trying that run, he kept being offside, but you only need one...

I feel really flat about this season. There was literally only one thing we could improve this year, and that was to start better than last season, and instead we've started worse.

I feel really flat about this season. There was literally only one thing we could improve this year, and that was to start better than last season, and instead we've started worse.
Serious mid-table mediocrity fears. Followed swiftly by serious losing our best players fears. Followed by serious mid-table mediocrity fears. Followed by...

Every season it's the same. We start the season unprepared, without having completed our transfers. We have to use players who are not ready to start the season, as we have a lack of depth in the squad. We gamble on players fitness and then we are stung. I really wish that the transfer window closed before the season started, that or we would just get our transfers completed early, rather than deliberating about it all. I never understand how it can take so long to process transfers. I know it doesn't work like Football Manager, but equally, when the January transfer window closes, that doesn't stop club discussing prospective transfers for the summer, both in-house, and between the two clubs. That the season can then end in May, and there is no major International Tournament and signings still having been completed over 3 months later is inexcusable. It's failure to adequately prepare, it's failure to get the squad together and ready, and then failure by relying on players who are not yet ready. But I almost guarantee you that next summer will be exactly the same, with further support granted by the players presence in the World Cup. Agents and players are unlikely to conclude transfers until their teams participation in the tournament is over. So, we can look forward to some transfer deadline day specials next season. And when I say specials, they are just as likely to be the Saha and Nelsen double act, as they are to be a VDV.

Just got back in. Well...

Lets be honest. It was no surprise, from the 80th minute I felt there was going to be sting in the tail. Indeed, better finishing by them we might well have ended up losing.
Might be just my view here, but I thought the need for Harry to score in August became more important than seeing out the win. Why leave the Sanchez sub until after the goal? Why did Kane take the free-kick instead of Eriksen? Just for starters.

Annoyingly, IIRC, their goal came almost the same position as Chelsea's winner. But my main problem with us right now is we just have no gamechangers on the bench when we need something different. Okay, Sissoko wasnt bad in his cameo, but you didnt for one minute think he would seal the win for us. I like Winks, but again, not really a massive game-changer. Surely the Management must see this and address by Wednesday.

Or.....perhaps its just me and the missus, and we just should not go to Wembley, I am now beginning to lose count of how many visits now and still to see us win there in the flesh

In isolation this result isn't something out of the ordinary so I'm not going to get too worked up about it... at 1 nil we had plenty of opportunities to get the second and kill the game but never and got caught out, it happens but with it being Wembley a whole load of other stuff gets lumped on to it and it becomes a crisis... not for me, yet

Just got back in. Well...

Lets be honest. It was no surprise, from the 80th minute I felt there was going to be sting in the tail. Indeed, better finishing by them we might well have ended up losing.
Might be just my view here, but I thought the need for Harry to score in August became more important than seeing out the win. Why leave the Sanchez sub until after the goal? Why did Kane take the free-kick instead of Eriksen? Just for starters.

Annoyingly, IIRC, their goal came almost the same position as Chelsea's winner. But my main problem with us right now is we just have no gamechangers on the bench when we need something different. Okay, Sissoko wasnt bad in his cameo, but you didnt for one minute think he would seal the win for us. I like Winks, but again, not really a massive game-changer. Surely the Management must see this and address by Wednesday.

Or.....perhaps its just me and the missus, and we just should not go to Wembley, I am now beginning to lose count of how many visits now and still to see us win there in the flesh

I feel the same. Been to Wembley 5 times now and we've now only just been able to pick up a point. It was obvious that Burnley were going to score, the defensive shambles of last weekend started to show their head again and we were lucky on a separate occasion. As I may have said before, I wish that I'd taken the 20/1 that was available for a draw (odds were at about 80ish minute). I could just see it coming. We should learn and reorganise but we never seem to react. Almost like we hope that the clock runs out before the opponents can score. I don't understand the Kane thing either. I mean, if he had scored today then today is the last day of August anyway, so until next season, it has little relevance. Kane has scored a freekick for us more recently than Eriksen, but Kane's effort was terrible. I think it's playing on his mind, that and that his next goal for us is his 100th.

We need to be more astute tactically, both in our play, and in the changes. Sanchez should have come on when it was obvious that we needed to change to a back three. That would have helped stifle their attacks. Son coming off meant that we were less able to stretch Burnley and it felt as if when he came off, that things began to unravel.

I predict we will begin pummelling sides soon at Wembley. Then you can all stick your curse where the sun don't shine!

COYS

What do you think can change to make that happen? I'm hopeful that signing Aurier, I wasn't originally keen on the idea but I've had a rethink, could definitely help. Maybe we can sign a creative dribbler, who can pull players out of position when the opponents come to park the bus against us.

What do you think can change to make that happen? I'm hopeful that signing Aurier, I wasn't originally keen on the idea but I've had a rethink, could definitely help. Maybe we can sign a creative dribbler, who can pull players out of position when the opponents come to park the bus against us.
Even if nothing changes dramatically, the pattern of both games has shown me that not every team by the law of averages can continue to give up as many chances and score from so few. Perhaps we've been naive but also a little unlucky. We need to do better, but Harry Kane WILL find his groove soon. Son will start scoring, Eriksen too. This team is far too good to continue not to win at Wembley, and I'm not having it. Yes a couple of signings will push the squad to another level.
None of us want to hear about how Wembley will inspire the opposition. I don't care if it does, we must cut out the sloppiness and for all their "inspiration", Burnley would come away with nothing. We gave away nothing last year. I'm looking forward to getting back to that.

There are obvious things that could improve us like a more "Pochettino type" full back. Yes someone like Aurier (purely football). Rose coming back too. Would like some more options going forward too. But improving the wing backs instantly will give us better attacking options.

Things however frustrating they seem right now, aren't THAT bad. And about what happens next season... we can worry about that later. Conduct more business like Davinson Sanchez and we will be fine IMO

Another frustrating outcome. Like last week, it wasn't a bad performance. Plenty of chances and half chances created, and Heaton pulled off some very good saves. But.... something was just not quite right. It all felt a bit flat, a bit slow. It was unforgivable to concede that goal. no excuse for not seeing the game out.

But it's not time for full-on panic. Wembley was always going to take some adjusting to. We only have 1 point less than this time last season. Kane will start scoring. Trippier will improve with a good run of games (look at Davies last season). Eriksen will play again like he did against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. We have one or two more players coming in. We will learn to play Wembley better.
I didn't feel quite so generously minded a few hours ago but it really isn't all doom and gloom. We still have a very good team and it will click soon and we'll be flying.

Every season it's the same. We start the season unprepared, without having completed our transfers. We have to use players who are not ready to start the season, as we have a lack of depth in the squad. We gamble on players fitness and then we are stung. I really wish that the transfer window closed before the season started, that or we would just get our transfers completed early, rather than deliberating about it all. I never understand how it can take so long to process transfers. I know it doesn't work like Football Manager, but equally, when the January transfer window closes, that doesn't stop club discussing prospective transfers for the summer, both in-house, and between the two clubs. That the season can then end in May, and there is no major International Tournament and signings still having been completed over 3 months later is inexcusable. It's failure to adequately prepare, it's failure to get the squad together and ready, and then failure by relying on players who are not yet ready. But I almost guarantee you that next summer will be exactly the same, with further support granted by the players presence in the World Cup. Agents and players are unlikely to conclude transfers until their teams participation in the tournament is over. So, we can look forward to some transfer deadline day specials next season. And when I say specials, they are just as likely to be the Saha and Nelsen double act, as they are to be a VDV.

It takes a number of people to tango to conclude a transfer.

GHod knows how we got 86 points last season.

Another frustrating outcome. Like last week, it wasn't a bad performance. Plenty of chances and half chances created, and Heaton pulled off some very good saves. But.... something was just not quite right. It all felt a bit flat, a bit slow. It was unforgivable to concede that goal. no excuse for not seeing the game out.

But it's not time for full-on panic. Wembley was always going to take some adjusting to. We only have 1 point less than this time last season. Kane will start scoring. Trippier will improve with a good run of games (look at Davies last season). Eriksen will play again like he did against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. We have one or two more players coming in. We will learn to play Wembley better.
I didn't feel quite so generously minded a few hours ago but it really isn't all doom and gloom. We still have a very good team and it will click soon and we'll be flying.

Agree with this, although watching Dele's goal reaction again on MOTD, it is a bit concerning.

I cannot wait for the window to close and hope we have done some business by then.

Poor decisions cost us today. Kane could, and should, have taken the ball to the corner flag. Instead he plays a poor ball that missed Winks, Burnley break away, and score. Trippier caught out of position, like last week. Aurier is much welcome!

And Dier needs a kick up his ass! He plays with a body language and arrogance like he thinks he's a lot better than he really is. We need Wanyama back to his best sooner rather than later. Dier just looks half arsed.

You probably missed the start of the exchange. 5 yards longer (ie 5%) and 1 yard wider (about 1.5% wider). I haven't been out with a tape-measure but will trust Sky's figures in the link which I posted above

I can only assume that flurry of articles about the pitch size at Wembley that were published back in May in the wake of one by the Times were written by journalists who merely copied the 69m figure from that very article and then cross referenced it with sodding Wikipedia!

As they only need to look on the Football Association's website...

http://www.wembleystadium.com/~/media/Files/WNSL/WembleyStadium/Wembley Stadium Tour/tour-sheet-ks3.ashx

IMG_0786.jpg

Or the Official Premier League Handbook 2017/18...

https://www.premierleague.com/publications#!

IMG_0783.PNG

to see the actual figure is indisputably 68 metres, which is the same as almost everyone else in the Premier League and any team which participates in UEFA comps.

Back