• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Two good saves stopped him getting on the score sheet today as well.....I agree with Finney, I think he has been outstanding all season

He has been our best defender this season. Toby tends to get the plaudits but Jan has stepped it up and been better than him this season. The pair of them are the two central defenders in the league IMO and both (but especially Jan) are seriously underrated.

He is. We really need more/better cover next year though so that they can have a break and we're not screwed when they're out. It doesnt seem that Poch trusts Wimmer and Dier is better in DM

His 200th game for us today! How time flies...

Was it really? Wow. I still remember him dropping all those coquettish hints about wanting to play at Spurs, as a centre-back in an exciting, free-flowing team destined for great things, etcetera, etcetera. And that was in March/April 2012, iirc - when we all thought he'd be one of the two Belgians we would bring in to confirm our status as title challengers that summer. The other, of course, being Hazard, who was even *more* coquettish.

Wow. Half a decade.

Congratulations, Jan. Here's to five more before you ride off into the sunset. ;)

Also, as a nice bit of trivia, here's what I said about him five years ago (page 2 of this thread) -

I've not seen much of this lad, but the general view on here strikes me as being overly positive about him. He sounds like a proto-King, of a sort. And I really, really want to support us signing him. But I can't. We've got Caulker coming back next season, and he's one of our best prospects for quite a while. And I still trust Kaboul, despite his shocker today. So no, I don't think we should go for this lad. I have faith in our CBs.

Caulker and Kaboul.

Well, I never said I was GHod, I guess. ;)

Love the way that all the players have a solid steady performance 'baseline' with different players hitting even higher form. Toby was on fire last season and before he got injured. This calendar year Verts has come into his own. He could be a bit shy previously, but in a steady side, he's hit form. So good coming forward against the scum. He's always been decent on the ball (playing full back), but seems to have developed his shooting.

Back