• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

That's just an anomaly of the French electoral system.

It's easy for fringe parties to get a good share in the first round. I very much doubt she'll be many people's second vote. Likely to be a whitewash in the 2nd.

Lets not forget that Macron is not running for a major party either. They will gather round him to make sure Le Pen doesn't even come close.

I think there is a lesson from Macron for our own political bore fest. There is such a malaise with our current choices that there is a window of oppurtunity for a believable, forward and modern thinking leader that cuts thru the chaff and lays things out positively and with clarity so to motivate us into to thinking we are actually going somewhere and have an effing good chance of getting there.

I know this sounds all a bit like what Blair did with new labour BUT a lot of the back and forth (and the people involved) just appear a bit archaic and there's a chance there for someone to come along (like Poch!) who's unattached, from outside 'the system' and just comes across as someone that knows what they're doing.

Lets not forget that Macron is not running for a major party either. They will gather round him to make sure Le Pen doesn't even come close.

I think there is a lesson from Macron for our own political bore fest. There is such a malaise with our current choices that there is a window of oppurtunity for a believable, forward and modern thinking leader that cuts thru the chaff and lays things out positively and with clarity so to motivate us into to thinking we are actually going somewhere and have an effing good chance of getting there.

I know this sounds all a bit like what Blair did with new labour BUT a lot of the back and forth (and the people involved) just appear a bit archaic and there's a chance there for someone to come along like Poch! who at last knows what there doing.
I think the Orange Book Liberals @milo was talking about earlier in the thread would be perfect for the country right now.

Unfortunately, they paid the price of courting the student vote for so long. When you court the votes of those who do not have to live in the real world, it shouldn't be a surprise when they can't understand the compromises the real world places on you.

I know this sounds all a bit like what Blair did with new labour BUT a lot of the back and forth (and the people involved) just appear a bit archaic and there's a chance there for someone to come along (like Poch!) who's unattached, from outside 'the system' and just comes across as someone that knows what they're doing.

Hollande was the great white hope 4 years ago too, but he was soon tainted. Macron isn't really an outsider, he was a cabinet minister until recently.

Of course charismatic young leaders are necessary to revitalise a party (Blair, Cameron), but our parliamentary rather than presidential system means they have to come from within one of the main parties. The recent leadership elections in all parties showed there's no-one immediately on the horizons though. Dan Jarvis is maybe the best bet at the moment - he's kept his nose fairly clean in the Labour civil war.

I think the Orange Book Liberals @milo was talking about earlier in the thread would be perfect for the country right now.

Unfortunately, they paid the price of courting the student vote for so long. When you court the votes of those who do not have to live in the real world, it shouldn't be a surprise when they can't understand the compromises the real world places on you.

Their mistake was letting Willets implement it. A graduate tax (an extra 1% or whatever on income tax for all new graduates), with no debt tied to individuals, was/is the proper solution

That's just an anomaly of the French electoral system.

It's easy for fringe parties to get a good share in the first round. I very much doubt she'll be many people's second vote. Likely to be a whitewash in the 2nd.

Let's hope so, but the problem is just by getting to the second round affords credibility to these creeps. The fudging media have a lot to answer for, treating her like a fudging rock star. She's a filthy bigot, not Lady Gaga.

Last edited:
Let's all be very clear about this. Macron is a right winger. He's a banker and a millionaire neo-liberal. He is no friend to ordinary workers. He got an easy ride from the media because he was attractive and new. Wait until the novelty wears off and his mask slips, he'll be exposed as another austerity man. At best , he will prove himself to be Tory-Lite.

LePen has just announced her 'temporary' resignation from the French Fascist Party. Who has been advising her? Seriously, does she think this is going to fool anybody?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-across-thames-scrapped-by-sadiq-khan-London

Cheers Boris, if only we did this with the Cable car before it was built.

If they had used the money for the cable car and the garden bridge to improving the tram network in south London towards central London it would have improved an area with not much of a tube network, opening up economic growth.

Do not know much about Khan but it is a good start on his part, I would like businessman to run for Mayor of London and not someone like Boris who was all about legacy and self serving fame. My sister worked for the CPS when red Ken was Mayor and she always told me she was amazes he never had a case brought against him.

She is still friends with people there and I asked about her about Boris, she laughed and said he was apparently worse then Livingstone, I hope Khan is honest, London deserves needs one.

So much money gets wasted and yet the are some really good ideas for improving London and making it a nicer place to live and also boast the economy, I remember some years ago they were talking about doing a tunnel between Oxford street and East Croydon, it would have been like the S train in New York, would have cut travel times and eased congestion at Victoria. But they deemed it to expensive, yet they waste money on other nonsensical schemes.

Not surprising. Whenever May speaks, she seems to display zero charisma, people skills or discernable human qualities. This is why her "campaigning" consists of her meeting hand-picked Tory supporters in remote forests, or saying "strong and stable" over and over again. Lynton Crosby knows that if the public see/hear too much of May, she could phuck things up.

She is like a less charismatic, less likeable and more insincere version of Hilary Clinton, impossible as that sounds -- oddly enough, another campaigner who thought it best to stay quiet and let the other guy 'inevitably' lose.

Not surprising. Whenever May speaks, she seems to display zero charisma, people skills or discernable human qualities. This is why her "campaigning" consists of her meeting hand-picked Tory supporters in remote forests, or saying "strong and stable" over and over again. Lynton Crosby knows that if the public see/hear too much of May, she could phuck things up.

She is like a less charismatic, less likeable and more insincere version of Hilary Clinton, impossible as that sounds -- oddly enough, another campaigner who thought it best to stay quiet and let the other guy 'inevitably' lose.

Reminds me of the saying. It is best to say little and have people think your stupid, then to speak and confirm it

It's also why Boris Johnson has been let out the cellar for a few weeks.
Although I think his ship may have sailed.

The mistake May made was inviting Juncker in the first place.

She should have invited everyone else in and left him stood on the doorstep like the filthy animal he is.

The people in the EU who matter stopped listening to his crap a long time ago, if only we would do the same.
You believe this or just hyperbole?

we can tell them that but based upon our experience with demanding things up until now I can guess how the conversation will go.

we can tell them that but based upon our experience with demanding things up until now I can guess how the conversation will go.
In which case they can stick their budget up their arse.

I suspect May would get some sympathy from any legitimate EU power holder on this issue. They've all had to deal with him, they all know what an odious little prick he is and I'm sure they're all perfectly aware of what a perfect symbol of everything that's wrong with the EU he is. Seeing as everyone has their own anti-EU factions to fight, making the EU seem like a place where elected leaders have discussions with other elected leaders can only benefit them.

Last edited:
Back