• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham vs Arsenal ***

We battered them really, but even with 10 mins left I still couldn't sit easy. Years of conditioning have me waiting for the sting in the tail. The sucker punch. Arsenal had one decent chance near the end that went into Lloris' hands. I can't remember who it was but they didn't take it thankfully and we rode out the last few minutes relatively comfortably.

I badly need a mindset change from expecting a last minute failure to expecting to win. And I'm not alone. Too many Spurs fans need this adjustment and thankfully I am now receiving the treatment I require. Poch has done it for the team and now he is doing it for me. Us. I'd love to shake his hand (not an euphemism)

haha....the thing about Poch is he genuinely doesnt give a fudge about finishing ahead of the local rivals, he wants to win league titles and cups, that's all he cares about. As long suffering Tottenham fans over the age of about 30 we also have to collectively embrace that mindset. But year after year I believe that is happening.

Lovely stuff Dubai. Poch may play it down, and rightly so, but we shouldn't lose the significance of what means. For so long, the inevitability that Arsenal would finish above us has hung round the neck of the club and always held us back, like no one could really believe that whatever good we did, we would actually get in front of them. Even when we really thought we had them - last season, 2012, Lasagna, they always found a way back in front. It was like they had some secret. Some special sauce because they were just a better, more professional club and knew they would get there in the end. But no more. Even if they get in front of us next season, it isn't going to be for another 20. The fact that they always got ahead of us in the end, seemingly inevitably (and with the sheer bad luck we've had I somewhat thought it was destined to continue forever) still made us look and feel like we were a slightly smaller club. No matter what we achieved. No matter what good we did, it still felt like, at the business end of the season, we were the same old Spurs. Nice enough, but not a real team. Not really playing where the big boys play. Even last season, when we were clearly better than them, they still managed it. But it papered over the cracks for them. And it was our final lesson. We are a class apart from them right now and hopefully that continues. But even if it doesn't, we've proven something massive today and that significance shouldn't be lost.

Yeh you got me dude. :)
Sort of reminds me of this actually.
george-clooney-o-brother1.jpg

Just kidding mate. You are all beautiful specimens of something.

Last edited:
Anyone watching the Sky coverage? Why are Lumpard and Henry both on the panel? Where is the Spurs presence? Happens every time. Has anyone ever complained about it?

On Supersports we had Alan Shearer & Tim Sherwood on the panel. Commentary was by Andy Townsend and Jack/John Chapman. Not too shabby.

Right, I've taken the time to compose my thoughts on what just happened, and what it means.

We've guaranteed a finish above Arsenal for the first time in two and a half decades, more or less. In doing so, we have broken the points total we set last week, and have now reached 77 points - within touching distance of 80, *80* goddamn points, a number I never dreamed I would ever see us reaching, back in the strange old days of the late 1990's and 2000's. That was United or Chelsea territory, I thought. Not for clubs like us, toddling along trying to build our own story outside of the spotlight, filled with imperfections and dreams of glory routinely dashed at the final hurdle. Not for Tottenham Hotspur.

And yet, here it is.

I won't say too much about finishing above *that lot* going forward, because I agree that we shouldn't stoop to their despicably clammy little level. Let them envy, let them gurn, let them rage. They do not define us, and *will* not define us as we move to a better, broader, more noble world than the one they have made their rotten abode.

But, before I put it out of my mind..I'd like to thank some people.

Thank you, Martin Jol...for making us believe again. For taking a damaged, hurting club and slowly building us back up...slowly, gently encouraging us to dream again.

Thank you, Juande Ramos. For showing us, for the first time, that it could be done. That the days were not eternal where Arsenal strutted at the top while we stayed, bleeding and defeated, far below. That we could do to them exactly what they had done to us at their pinnacle - that we could destroy them, completely and utterly, on our way to bigger things.

Thank you, Harry Redknapp. For igniting our imaginations. For taking a club wallowing at its lowest ebb after yet another false dawn, and making us go out there and simply *be* what we imagined ourselves to be. For echoing, for the first time, the distant memories of glory days and glory moments under the floodlights of the grand old Lane..for taking us up to a level where we could dream of the golden dawn beyond the brightening horizon. And for making us believe that we could beat that lot in the league... at the Lane...at the Emirates...anywhere.

Thank you, Andre Villas-Boas. For instilling a grit and heart in a young Tottenham side, and taking them along as you broke a hoodoo at Old Trafford, beat *them* yet again, and drove a young Welshman to greatness even as we stretched out and came *so close* to the success that had eluded us for so long..the hoodoo that, yet, could not be broken.

Thank you, Tim Sherwood. For taking another damaged, beaten side and at least making us play again, if nothing else. And for giving a gangly, awkward young Englishman his first chance as a player for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

Thank you, Mauricio Pochettino. For completing the job that all your predecessors had started and left unfinished, over the course of a long, tumultuous decade. For making us a side that none even dared to dream about back in the days when the world looked so grossly unfair and Tottenham Hotspur looked lost in the mists of our own self-destruction. For taking every hoodoo that we had, and smashing it to the ground - for gently lifting our heads, and making us believe in ourselves and what we were capable of. For guiding this flawed, stumbling club to the glory that it always strived for - for bringing hope where there was none, pride were there was only fear, and vindication where there was only self-doubt and failure.

And, finally....thank you, Daniel Levy. For everything - the successes, the failures, the memories, the happiness and the sadness. Thank you for learning from it all, and taking it like a man when me and half of White Hart Lane called for your head after yet another false dawn, another stumble in the gloriously *human* history of an uncertain old club trying again to stand on its own two feet.

This has been coming for many, many years. And the efforts and lives of many people have preceded what we have managed to do today.

Thank you.

I have to arrest you on one thing. Kane had already made his debut under AVB.

Also, fantastic that we did this today to end any sort of run that Wenger was picking up with his 3atb. It's like he'd tried to be innovative and like for so many other teams, the formation is a bit of a cheat code to get a run going. But we've stopped that in its tracks, and we've done it on our own terms playing a 4231. It's like we're so much more advanced than that, we don't even need to match them up. We can use a formation that the 4231 is supposed to struggle against but because we've already innovative, because we have such flexibility and are so comfortable in so many different scenarios, we just imposed our game on them without fear. An absolute class apart.

Also, fantastic that we did this today to end any sort of run that Wenger was picking up with his 3atb. It's like he'd tried to be innovative and like for so many other teams, the formation is a bit of a cheat code to get a run going. But we've stopped that in its tracks, and we've done it on our own terms playing a 4231. It's like we're so much more advanced than that, we don't even need to match them up. We can use a formation that the 4231 is supposed to struggle against but because we've already innovative, because we have such flexibility and are so comfortable in so many different scenarios, we just imposed our game on them without fear. An absolute class apart.

Poch talked about us being flexible in his pre-match interview when the reporter tried to get him to reveal how exactly we would be lining up.

Right, I've taken the time to compose my thoughts on what just happened, and what it means.

We've guaranteed a finish above Arsenal for the first time in two and a half decades, more or less. In doing so, we have broken the points total we set last week, and have now reached 77 points - within touching distance of 80, *80* goddamn points, a number I never dreamed I would ever see us reaching, back in the strange old days of the late 1990's and 2000's. That was United or Chelsea territory, I thought. Not for clubs like us, toddling along trying to build our own story outside of the spotlight, filled with imperfections and dreams of glory routinely dashed at the final hurdle. Not for Tottenham Hotspur.

And yet, here it is.

I won't say too much about finishing above *that lot* going forward, because I agree that we shouldn't stoop to their despicably clammy little level. Let them envy, let them gurn, let them rage. They do not define us, and *will* not define us as we move to a better, broader, more noble world than the one they have made their rotten abode.

But, before I put it out of my mind..I'd like to thank some people.

Thank you, Martin Jol...for making us believe again. For taking a damaged, hurting club and slowly building us back up...slowly, gently encouraging us to dream again.

Thank you, Juande Ramos. For showing us, for the first time, that it could be done. That the days were not eternal where Arsenal strutted at the top while we stayed, bleeding and defeated, far below. That we could do to them exactly what they had done to us at their pinnacle - that we could destroy them, completely and utterly, on our way to bigger things.

Thank you, Harry Redknapp. For igniting our imaginations. For taking a club wallowing at its lowest ebb after yet another false dawn, and making us go out there and simply *be* what we imagined ourselves to be. For echoing, for the first time, the distant memories of glory days and glory moments under the floodlights of the grand old Lane..for taking us up to a level where we could dream of the golden dawn beyond the brightening horizon. And for making us believe that we could beat that lot in the league... at the Lane...at the Emirates...anywhere.

Thank you, Andre Villas-Boas. For instilling a grit and heart in a young Tottenham side, and taking them along as you broke a hoodoo at Old Trafford, beat *them* yet again, and drove a young Welshman to greatness even as we stretched out and came *so close* to the success that had eluded us for so long..the hoodoo that, yet, could not be broken.

Thank you, Tim Sherwood. For taking another damaged, beaten side and at least making us play again, if nothing else. And for giving a gangly, awkward young Englishman his first chance as a player for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

Thank you, Mauricio Pochettino. For completing the job that all your predecessors had started and left unfinished, over the course of a long, tumultuous decade. For making us a side that none even dared to dream about back in the days when the world looked so grossly unfair and Tottenham Hotspur looked lost in the mists of our own self-destruction. For taking every hoodoo that we had, and smashing it to the ground - for gently lifting our heads, and making us believe in ourselves and what we were capable of. For guiding this flawed, stumbling club to the glory that it always strived for - for bringing hope where there was none, pride were there was only fear, and vindication where there was only self-doubt and failure.

And, finally....thank you, Daniel Levy. For everything - the successes, the failures, the memories, the happiness and the sadness. Thank you for learning from it all, and taking it like a man when me and half of White Hart Lane called for your head after yet another false dawn, another stumble in the gloriously *human* history of an uncertain old club trying again to stand on its own two feet.

This has been coming for many, many years. And the efforts and lives of many people have preceded what we have managed to do today.

Thank you.
Well said sir.

Had to watch the highlights after the game had finished, and it was awful! Had such a bad feeling about this game and every time the clip switched to Arse attacking I was terrified...for no reason, of course, such a great send off in the final NLD at WHL, a solid win, clean sheet, us finishing above them for the first time in ages, new record points total and CL qualification getting closer. Shame about Chelski, but screw them, we can only focus on us, and we do that extremely well. Title was always theirs to lose anyway.

One point to secure second place now, which will be an amazing feat both historically and in a modern context were our closest competitors have extreme financial muscles. Some from financial doping, some maybe not. In some way it doesn't really matter, because we can only play whoever's in front of us. And that we've done extremely well this season.

COYS, FFS!!!

Well Poch and his Team have really come of age To day.

And after all that has happened in the last week or so, and with the players knowing
The Title looks out of reach before this game.
This must have taken some strength today...that shows how much this squad of players are together.

Perhaps the killing instinct needs to be sharpened though,
As we know,we miss a lot of chances.

This is the first sign that we have started to learn the cheating Premier League System ..IMO..LOL.

OK enough of the above...I would need to write a book! but so much has changed in club football compared to four decades ago.

And I have to say Poch has done it without lots of World Class back up coming off the bench.
That's a small miracle...but we mustn't get too carried away....must we.

If we can hang on to this squad and improve it...it's a new begining.
If not........its back to square one.
....".................Oh when the Spurs......"

Well done the lads...so proud...

We really are a couple of squad players away from being champions, get these done early in the summer and we can really kick on.

I don't think it's a "squad player" sadly, it's a superstar we lack, we win on our good days, and thankfully, with so many good players we have a lot of them. Leicester last season and Chelsea this, have stretched away by winning on bad days too.

We also suck at cheating, a few more well executed dives or sneaky shirt pulls might have rewarded us with a few more points.

Years of conditioning have me waiting for the sting in the tail. The sucker punch.
Just back from the Lane and yes...I'm constantly waiting for it to go tits up...but the team aren't. They are mentally tough this lot, because they aren't scarred by failure...or anything.
It's all very strange...we were mediocre for so long, it doesn't feel comfortable having a really tremendous, title chasing team. Long may the dream continue....

There was lots of talk about our squad not being good enough earlier in the season.

But we seem to be doing ok.

No Rose? Davies steps in and we keep winning.

Kane injured? Alli, Eriksen and Son become goal machines. And we keep winning.

Lose a first team regular for most of the season in Lamela? We keep winning like he was never here.

Lose both of the best CBs in the league at various times? Wimmer and Dier step in, and we keep winning.

Lloris gets ill. The best number two in the league comes in to keep a clean sheet. And we keep winning.

Sure, we don't have a bench like Chelsea's but we don't have unlimited funds either.

And it's taken them a record-equalling winning run to get ahead of us. So I'm rightly proud of what we're achieving... and it's not over yet.

Back