• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

"But what does the American electorate look like if we put down the snapshot? Peel away how we perceive ourselves from what we actually are? How has that image of a 1950s business man who owns his own home in the suburbs changed after decades of declines in wages, middle classdom, and home ownership?

To younger generations who never had such jobs, who had only the mythology of such jobs (rather a whimsical snapshot of the 1950s frozen in time by America’s ideology) this part of the narrative is clear. America, and perhaps existence itself is a cascade of empty promises and advertisements — that is to say, fantasy worlds, expectations that will never be realized “IRL”, but perhaps consumed briefly in small snatches of commodified pleasure.

Thus these Trump supporters hold a different sort of ideology, not one of “when will my horse come in”, but a trolling self-effacing, “I know my horse will never come in”. That is to say, younger Trump supporters know they are handing their money to someone who will never place their bets — only his own — because, after all, it’s plain as day there was never any other option."

That bit ties in to a lot of elements of chan culture. I was amused by the academic way in which he attempted to summarize what is essentially an eternally self-referential cess-pit (and I say this as someone who spent quite a lot of time there once), but I felt it was a bit meaningless - given that a lot of chan culture is based on defying the possibility of scientific deconstruction or logical analysis from any standpoint that presumes rational self-interest as the driving force behind human behaviour. There, however, he does hit home.

An awful lot of it is based on forced ennui and undertones of base nihilism - summed up in a feeling of anons being unable to connect to the reality of the 'normies' who think these (largely dead) dreams of opportunities and life goals are still worth pursuing. In an increasingly competitive world with less and less by way of reward for actually competing to the level that average people can feasibly reach, there's an enormous temptation among the younger generation to disconnect from it all and withdraw into escapism, satire or outright nihilism. This is only further enabled by the fact that NEETs (and their Japanese counterparts, hikkomoris) are now quite capable of living fairly comfortable lives (by dint of their parents' probable middle-class roots or a reliance on modern welfare systems) without ever having to actually work or compete in the marketplace or society in general - at least until their comfortable circumstances are forcibly altered.

I feel like Vaporwave (which largely emerged out of /mu/) is a musical genre which (most closely) encapsulates this feeling of ennui that is expressed across 4chan and other imageboards elsewhere - this paradox of existence in a world which seemingly mythologizes and expects conformity to realities which have been dead for decades in the eyes of the people who create that type of music. If you've never seen Vaporware music videos or heard the music, it's basically pitch shifted and stretched music samples from the 1980's (or earlier) interspersed with a whole range of references to cultural touchstones - sometimes sepia-tinged clips of the Simpsons, sometimes old war footage, but most often just various commercials or advertisements from the 1980`s and 1990`s edited into some sort of hyperrealistic montage of consumerism. The intent of the music is to create a sort of hyperrealistic parody of the excesses of consumerist culture and conventional expectations of life in a capitalist society in a way that connects to both internet culture and the cultural touchstones experienced by the generation (largely Millennials) who grew up being exposed to it and then discovered that they weren`t suited to that world in various ways when they grew up.

It`s an interesting phenomenon, chan-culture. In a way, there`s an answer in there to all sorts of questions about human nature and behaviour in a Hobbesian state of anarchy, and boards like 4chan are truly fascinating places for those inclined to study the origins and evolutions of common human touchstones (memes, for example), the semi-nihilistic behaviour of the societally disinclined and the origins of extremist political ideologies in a post-modern age.

But there`s also a possible danger in 4chan and other boards becoming more and more well-known (as has now occurred because of Trump`s victory) - on the one hand, it`s only a *possible* danger because the people who inhabit 4chan and related places tend to hate `normies` and newcomers and would much prefer to leave and form their own isolated communities when influxes occur. But on the other...I feel like people are underestimating the extent to which a young generation, growing up in a `gig` economy and bluntly being told not to expect the economic and social security their parents enjoyed *after* attaining the highest educational and working qualifications of *any* generation, ever (which they were falsely told would assure them a job and a future when they were growing up)...I feel like people are underestimating the willingness of increasing numbers of that generation to disconnect from society and become essential nihilists, escapists or idealists like the types that exist on 4chan. And exposure to such a community may well hasten that trend, with what I suspect will be immensely shocking results to the people currently unaware of how the Millennials are really coping with the unprecedented changes of the modern age.

Again, I say all this as a former anon myself - one who would, in past times, have derisively laughed at attempts to explain chan culture like the article (and my needlessly long post) attempts to do. :p

Therein lies the way to control policy. Infiltrate Fox News and fabricate some news items to suit your agenda. It's what they do anyway so nobody will really notice.

It's a bit long and rambling (and I do not know what to make of it all) but the thread on Trump, Churkin and Russia that Sarah Kendzior links to in the tweet below the one I quoted above is worth a read.

It's a bit long and rambling (and I do not know what to make of it all) but the thread on Trump, Churkin and Russia that Sarah Kendzior links to in the tweet below the one I quoted above is worth a read.
Dont know a huge amount about her but from what I can find online she seems fond of her alarmist articles.

Isn't it the place of a journalist to use "invite" rather than "recruit" until or unless there's evidence to show it?

We can't complain about fake news or Trump's treatment of the press unless we hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Dont know a huge amount about her but from what I can find online she seems fond of her alarmist articles.

Isn't it the place of a journalist to use "invite" rather than "recruit" until or unless there's evidence to show it?

We can't complain about fake news or Trump's treatment of the press unless we hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I'd agree with that which is one of the reasons I've held off linking to her. She knows her stuff and has certainly done her research but a lot of her writing gets a little too close to conspiracy theory stuff for me.

I'd agree with that which is one of the reasons I've held off linking to her. She knows her stuff and has certainly done her research but a lot of her writing gets a little too close to conspiracy theory stuff for me.
I'd love it if it was true though.

As a non-American I find the whole Trump thing quite amusing - it's like one giant troll session. If he turned out to be a Soviet spy that would be like a pretty exciting film.

My one reservation is that I'd really like to not see Pence as President.

The reason I bring up Israel's creation is in response to your comment "Those terms that describe a race, genetic linage and country (Israel) are all based on the same "fairytales" (as you would call them) that are written in the same "Holy Books" that other Godtards you bash follow. I'm sure we can look into those same books and find other races that are based on similar stories written within."

My point is that the creation of the country was based on fairy tales, but genetic lineage and place of birth isn't - those are actual, objective measurements.

It would have been perfectly valid to ridicule their beliefs just as with any other religion.

Obviously when talking about things like genocide then you are violating human rights which are protected no matter how retarded your beliefs are.

No, there's no valid basis whatsoever for an Islamic State and most of those attempting to make it happen are either doing so to silence criticism or to discriminate against others.

And their religion is as open to ridicule as anyone else's

As i say, the creation of Israel would be no different if (somehow) there would be a creation of an Islamic State. Both would only happen based on acceptance of whatever is written in "Holy Texts" - regardless of the actual method of how the creation would/could come about.

How do you think Niloufar Ardalan feels about Iran's treatment of women? Or anyone who wants to go out without a headscarf? Or anyone gay? Isn't apostasy still punishable by death there?

Are you sure you want to bring up Malaysia with regard to human rights? Somewhere north of 90% of Muslim women in Malaysia go through FGM. In as striking an example of Islam's disgusting treatment of women you could ever wish for, the same country has a FGM rate of 0% for the Buddhists and Hindus living there.

To my knowledge, the same goes for Indonesia although I stand to be corrected on that.

There are some Christian sexist right wing nutjobs in places such as the USA and Ireland, let's not pretend all is lovely and dandy in all parts of the world where Christianity is actually practiced day to day for the majority of peoples. In fact, i'd say attitudes to homosexuals are similar as we well know even here in the UK (outside the large urban areas).
My general point is that to ban migrants from those countries due to some nutjobs in the region sometimes partaking in ISIS and similar barbaric extremism seems absurd: people from those countries are usually themselves the biggest victims of the terrorism. I mean why didn't Trump also ban travellers from Saudi Arabia, seeing as they practice often the most barbaric forms of extreme Islam (and maybe by proxy seem to create a lot of the extremists, e.g. Bin Laden and friends)?
Also, because often migrants from, say, Sweden, are known to form KKK groups in the USA should that mean that migrants from Sweden should be banned from entering the USA??

BTW, where do you get your information re FGM in Malaysia? I'm intrigued because i always thought that FGM was more a prevalent issue in some African and some Arab/Middle Eastern countries but not so much in East Asia..

I'd love it if it was true though.

As a non-American I find the whole Trump thing quite amusing - it's like one giant troll session. If he turned out to be a Soviet spy that would be like a pretty exciting film.

My one reservation is that I'd really like to not see Pence as President.

This 'might' be a little too 'tin-hat' for your tastes, but I've said since the middle of last year that the GOP realized the Christian right wasn't going to get across the public finishing line, thus they shat on Rubio and Cruz fast to unify behind the snake oil salesman who could sell bikinis to eskimos for 5 minutes. All they needed was his '5 minutes' of populist sales-talk flimflam to win. Bannon realized that the Democrats were eating themselves alive by shafting Sanders to user Clinton into the nomination, thus it became easier to ride Trump to victory. If you look at the near-deafening silence from around him with regards to the 'power brokers', Bannon, Pence, it screams a whole lot IMO about exactly what they're doing here. Let the likes of Conway fog-horn away (she will be irrelevant), let that macaron Spicer blurt away (he won't last), Priebus is too experienced to brick in his wagon and will take some moving, however he could yet join up for the phase two ride...it is impossible for me to see this as anything other than Macbeth-like treachery in play and on steroids. They are simply letting Trump slowly talk himself to a political death. It is only a matter of time before an impeachment, or disgrace, forces him out. The Poch Brothers won't let it happen any further than is beneficial to them, and right now, all sorts of plans are being put in place for the hard right of the GOP to step in and take charge IMO. Either that or they will simply let him continue to be a distraction and continue their work behind the scenes. Either way, he is not running this show, he is part of it. Whether Pence formally wears the title, or remains behind the scenes, it smacks of Bush-Cheney/Rumsfeld style 'leadership'...

As i say, the creation of Israel would be no different if (somehow) there would be a creation of an Islamic State. Both would only happen based on acceptance of whatever is written in "Holy Texts" - regardless of the actual method of how the creation would/could come about.

There are some Christian sexist right wing nutjobs in places such as the USA and Ireland, let's not pretend all is lovely and dandy in all parts of the world where Christianity is actually practiced day to day for the majority of peoples. In fact, i'd say attitudes to homosexuals are similar as we well know even here in the UK (outside the large urban areas).
My general point is that to ban migrants from those countries due to some nutjobs in the region sometimes partaking in ISIS and similar barbaric extremism seems absurd: people from those countries are usually themselves the biggest victims of the terrorism. I mean why didn't Trump also ban travellers from Saudi Arabia, seeing as they practice often the most barbaric forms of extreme Islam (and maybe by proxy seem to create a lot of the extremists, e.g. Bin Laden and friends)?
Also, because often migrants from, say, Sweden, are known to form KKK groups in the USA should that mean that migrants from Sweden should be banned from entering the USA??

BTW, where do you get your information re FGM in Malaysia? I'm intrigued because i always thought that FGM was more a prevalent issue in some African and some Arab/Middle Eastern countries but not so much in East Asia..
Ireland? Who would they be?

Last edited:
This 'might' be a little too 'tin-hat' for your tastes, but I've said since the middle of last year that the GOP realized the Christian right wasn't going to get across the public finishing line, thus they shat on Rubio and Cruz fast to unify behind the snake oil salesman who could sell bikinis to eskimos for 5 minutes. All they needed was his '5 minutes' of populist sales-talk hogwash to win. Bannon realized that the Democrats were eating themselves alive by shafting Sanders to user Clinton into the nomination, thus it became easier to ride Trump to victory. If you look at the near-deafening silence from around him with regards to the 'power brokers', Bannon, Pence, it screams a whole lot IMO about exactly what they're doing here. Let the likes of Conway fog-horn away (she will be irrelevant), let that macaron Spicer blurt away (he won't last), Priebus is too experienced to brick in his wagon and will take some moving, however he could yet join up for the phase two ride...it is impossible for me to see this as anything other than Macbeth-like treachery in play and on steroids. They are simply letting Trump slowly talk himself to a political death. It is only a matter of time before an impeachment, or disgrace, forces him out. The Poch Brothers won't let it happen any further than is beneficial to them, and right now, all sorts of plans are being put in place for the hard right of the GOP to step in and take charge IMO. Either that or they will simply let him continue to be a distraction and continue their work behind the scenes. Either way, he is not running this show, he is part of it. Whether Pence formally wears the title, or remains behind the scenes, it smacks of Bush-Cheney/Rumsfeld style 'leadership'...

Man of many talents - able to manipulate the United States *and* run a football club. With the help of his previously unknown brother, of course. ;)

Overall, I think you're right. However, I wonder if Bannon's *quite* as in-step with the rest of the Republican establishment as you're painting him out to be - if you look at his past, the man is *far* from the racist drunk he appears to be based on his time at Breitbart and his outward appearance. Masters' degree in national security studies from Georgetown, MBA from Harvard, seven years as an SWO (O-3) aboard the Paul F.Forster and as a special assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations in Washington, vice-president of M&A at Goldman Sachs....

..no doubt about it, the man's supremely intelligent. And he allies that intelligence with a long-established, visceral dislike for the traditional Republican Party, which he sees as too accepting of various social and economic ills. I think there will be more internal battles over who gets to control the puppet President that the Republican Party would care to wage, and that's going to mesh with Trump's own occasional desire to have his own way on things.

An interesting four years in store in terms of internecine White House conflicts, to say the least.

Back