• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Emirates Marketing Project***

No it's not disgraceful. It was a clear penalty and the non-call was a game-changer, both for the pen and the red card that should have been issued. If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd be screaming bloody murder. Let's take our Spurs glasses off and look at things a bit more objectively.
Seen a couple of pictures of the Sterling "offside". Still not sure whether he was or not. I felt he was off at the time. It would have helped if MOTD even attempted to clear it up.

As for the foul, in a strange way I feel for Sterling. Yes it was a foul, but the push wasn't exactly hard. Just enough to throw him off balance slightly. However if he had gone down like Shearer and Gullit said he should, it would have looked ridiculous and there would have been more chance of him getting booked for simulation than getting the penalty. Clever from Walker and a no win situation for Sterling.

Anyway, doesn't even begin to make up for the Balotelli on Parker stamp so f*ck em.

I assume the referee missed it, but what if he had seen it? Sterling went on and got a shot off that forced a save. Surely that counts as playing advantage, the goal scoring opportunity being the advantage. You don't give two bites at the cherry. The ref could have called it back for the free kick, but what if Sterling had scored and he gave the free-kick instead of allowing the goal?

Either way it wouldn't be a red as Walker didn't stop a goal scoring opportunity. A shot on target that is saved by the goalkeeper has to be considered a goal scoring opportunity by any definition.

I was disappointed we didn't have more of a go at their weak defence, and I felt we did ourselves no favours at all playing it short at the back all the time, constantly making ourselves vulnerable to their quick press and not really able to build a way into the game in the first half as a result. Having said that, we were one rare Hugo howler away (I'll let him have the header-and-the-handball controversy) from taking all three points there all the same, despite being depleted, facing hundreds of millions of pounds-worth of world-class talent with a make-do-and-mend defence, and getting comprehensively outplayed. That, my friends, is the way future champions roll.

One further point on the first Hugo howler. I think he misjudged the initial flight of the ball and expected to catch it, but realised then the mistake. There was a slight hesitation before he tried to head the ball. It would have been easy to panic and catch the ball, which could well have been a red card.

Just watched the game again.

First thought. In real time, you can see why Walker's push wasn't given. It's a contact sport. Two players jostle side by side all over the park every game. Obviously Walker is trying to put him off and yeah, if it happened to us I'd be annoyed because I'm a Spurs fan and football is tribal like that. But in real time, it's not the huge injustice that the TV made it out to be. And Poch is right, if we want to complain as much as possible about that, we can complain of the Sane handball.

Snip....

But contact has to be made in act of playing the ball.

You can't just push a player when you're nowhere near the ball. In fact, you can't just push a player at all, near the ball or not.

And I don't think Sane's was a deliberate act of hand-to-ball; it was too close and happened too quickly for that I think.

In reality, a true handball is a very rare occurrence.

Agreed that it was ball to hand. That said, it seems strange that the rules allow a goal to stand in the circumstances. If the ball didn't hit his hand he was never going to control it and he therefore wouldn't have scored. Can that be right?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Them's the rules, which unfortunately allows for this kind of situation.

But I don't see a way around it. If accidental handball becomes law we'll just have a load of attackers deliberately playing the ball to the hand / arm of defenders for penalties.

This is from when the ball was played. Doesn't look offside to me, but a bit hard to tell, actually. If you look at the stripes in the grass it looks like Rose on the left back plays him onside, and probably Wanyama too.

egopx4S.png

Seen a couple of pictures of the Sterling "offside". Still not sure whether he was or not. I felt he was off at the time. It would have helped if MOTD even attempted to clear it up.

Looks to me like Rose is playing him on pretty clearly from this.

I assume the referee missed it, but what if he had seen it? Sterling went on and got a shot off that forced a save. Surely that counts as playing advantage, the goal scoring opportunity being the advantage. You don't give two bites at the cherry. The ref could have called it back for the free kick, but what if Sterling had scored and he gave the free-kick instead of allowing the goal?

Either way it wouldn't be a red as Walker didn't stop a goal scoring opportunity. A shot on target that is saved by the goalkeeper has to be considered a goal scoring opportunity by any definition.

But Walker impeded Sterling and the goal scoring opportunity was diminished as a result.

And it is a red because a foul was made to deny a goal scoring opportunity with no attempt to play the ball.

If Walker isn't trying to deny the opportunity then what would be the point in the push?

Wow! Just wow! Some pretty mind blowing logic there!

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/city-v-spurs-post-match.326514/

Wow. Everything is a conspiras-eh, rag this rag that, spuds are a small club/delusional/bullied me on the way out of the 81 Final. Mainstream media, Whiskey Nose Ferguson and the FA are all in cahoots to eradicate Emirates Marketing Project's rise to the top. Spuds are media darlings(!), refs are being paid off, rags rags rags if you disagree you're a rag. Oaaaysisss mad fer it....

Won't tar all City supporters, but Bluemoon is very quickly overtaking RAWK for levels of utter weirdness

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

But Walker impeded Sterling and the goal scoring opportunity was diminished as a result.

WIth my tongue firmly entrenched in my cheek, Walker actually helped him forward rather than impeding him.

Should have been given, but were both officials influenced by his earlier tumbles and whinges/appeals?. Can't help thinking that if the ball had gone dead the officials would have consulted, and eventually given the penalty.

Last edited:

Wow. Everything is a conspiras-eh, rag this rag that, spuds are a small club/delusional/bullied me on the way out of the 81 Final. Mainstream media, Whiskey Nose Ferguson and the FA are all in cahoots to eradicate Emirates Marketing Project's rise to the top. Spuds are media darlings(!), refs are being paid off, rags rags rags if you disagree you're a rag. Oaaaysisss mad fer it....

Won't tar all City supporters, but Bluemoon is very quickly overtaking RAWK for levels of utter weirdness

It's incredible how some don't like City/have them as their second team. The plucky underdogs overcoming the odds.

I just don't think, in real time, Walker 'impeded' Sterling. He got an arm on him to put him off, but it's a contact sport. It's easily could have been given but this whole idea that any contact equals a foul just isn't correct to me. If Walker physically grabs his arm and pulls him back, foul. If Walker is trying to catch up to him, almost gets there and tries to put him off, not necessarily. Sterling's shot was made more difficult for sure but that's the whole point. Players get their bodies in the way all the time.

There's no attempt from Walker to play the ball, but it's not a tackle that's gone wrong. It's physical contact. Defenders aren't just going to let players have easy shots (unless they for Emirates Marketing Project!)

It's incredible how some don't like City/have them as their second team. The plucky underdogs overcoming the odds.

Auditioning for the rags gig apparently Poch is....I really wish this kind of thinking was slapped down. Would Conte go to Man United from Chelsea? Would Wenger go there from Arsenal? No? Then why would Poch?

I just don't think, in real time, Walker 'impeded' Sterling. He got an arm on him to put him off, but it's a contact sport. It's easily could have been given but this whole idea that any contact equals a foul just isn't correct to me. If Walker physically grabs his arm and pulls him back, foul. If Walker is trying to catch up to him, almost gets there and tries to put him off, not necessarily. Sterling's shot was made more difficult for sure but that's the whole point. Players get their bodies in the way all the time.

There's no attempt from Walker to play the ball, but it's not a tackle that's gone wrong. It's physical contact. Defenders aren't just going to let players have easy shots (unless they for Emirates Marketing Project!)

You can't just push a player.

It's a contact sport, but in the context of attempting to play the ball.

That's why there's the obstruction law.

If this is allowed then you'll turn it into NFL with blockers etc.

And it is a red because a foul was made to deny a goal scoring opportunity with no attempt to play the ball.

If Walker isn't trying to deny the opportunity then what would be the point in the push?

There is no question that it was a push and should have been a penalty. The push was enough to put him off balance, and affected the shot, with no attempt to play the ball or get to the ball.

However, the rules are pretty clear that the red is for denying a goal scoring opportunity. There is nothing about intent or quality of the goal scoring opportunity. The only rule where intent is a factor is handball.

Is it wrong that I really enjoy reading it? I'm laughing my ass off! It's hilarious!

I think Dele pushed Otamendi to the ground. Walker was chasing after Sterling at pace and put him off but Sterling still got the shot away.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be given in a heck of a lot of situations but in real time, at pace, Walker hasn't denied anyone anything. He's put Sterling off but I can see why we got away with it. The amount of times a winger beats a full back and the full back has his hands on the winger chasing him, it's a contact sport and it happens. There's no law that says the attacking player should have an easy ride.

And to be honest, after Pedro Mendes I think we're owed about 20 years of luck so I'm glad we're getting it.

And why you see so many referees give free kicks when defenders obstuct attackers to let the ball run out for goal-kicks NOT

Back