• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Not a Tory by any means and i have never taken to May in the past, however she is sticking to her guns ( so far) and i applaud her for that.

"that just happened"

Key thing to consider is it didn't 'just happen' it took a decade to implement. Will the EU do us any favours and let us sign off a trade deal quickly,in your opinion?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

A lot of the delay with CETA was harmonising things. We're already fully Borged-up.

Having no trade deal affects Europe badly too. We're the second biggest economy on the continent (4th in the world). They don't want to have to pay our tariffs to export to the UK either.

Not a Tory by any means and i have never taken to May in the past, however she is sticking to her guns ( so far) and i applaud her for that.

I don't like her social conservatism (the social liberalism of Cameron was much better) and her issue with foreign students. But she's certainly got bigger balls than any frontbencher I've seen in a while. Merkel is going to have a fitting opponent in the negotiations. I've always liked David Davis too.

Appreciate your thoughts @milo . We do differ in our political opinions but yours is definitely an informed one.

What we need to look at is the gap between leaving and having new trade deals in place. How can we minimise the impact on UK businesses during that period?

It is very unlikely that we will complete a trade deal with the EU during the next two years and even less likely that it will cover services. We cannot agree any trade deals with other countries until we leave the customs union and it is unlikely that we will be able to agree good deals with other countries until we have a trade deal with the EU agreed.

Falling back on WTO rules is often spoken of as being our Plan B (or even a desirable outcome) but I have posted before about the difficulties of this and how we will again need to settle our position with the EU before we can rejoin the WTO. If you are interested in WTO and tariffs then I recommend the following article which gives us an idea of how mind mindbogglingly difficult it will be

https://tradebetablog.wordpress.com/2017/01/06/limits-of-possibility/

If we are going to have tariff free access to the single market and avoid queues of lorries at Dover backing up to London, we are going to need to set up a domestic regulatory and legal regime to replace the European one. That regulatory regime will need to mirror the European one and be recognised as being of the same standard by the EU.

In reality, she has given herself one year to do this. The French and German elections mean that substantive negotiations will not start until the autumn and the final deal needs to be passed by the European Parliament. Any trade deal will also need to be passed unanimously by the EU27.

I don't like her social conservatism (the social liberalism of Cameron was much better) and her issue with foreign students. But she's certainly got bigger balls than any frontbencher I've seen in a while. Merkel is going to have a fitting opponent in the negotiations. I've always liked David Davis too.

Yep Davis is the leader we never had, problem for him is he seems to get off on getting peoples backs up, I can sympathize with that personality trait but it does not make for a career in politics.

Cameron is the reason we are getting Brexit, if he had stood up to the EU when he went across to see them with bells and trumpets saying he was going to get changes made and then came back with his tail between his legs. As i said earlier i am no Tory and never rated May in the slightest but as you say she has got the balls to stand up to all the doom mongers and carry on.

I would be pretty if we were not negotiating already and should be looking to sign deal imminently. It would also send out a message to all hen pecked European nations that the EU is a controlling tyrannical state.

Mikhail Gorbachev quote
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”

That dude knew a thing of two about politics.

Cameron is the reason we are getting Brexit, if he had stood up to the EU when he went across to see them with bells and trumpets saying he was going to get changes made and then came back with his tail between his legs. As i said earlier i am no Tory and never rated May in the slightest but as you say she has got the balls to stand up to all the doom mongers and carry on.
Is she not just moved her position into the only one that was offered to her. We wanted access to the single market without immigration,we were told that it wasn't possible.

It was not just Cameron, leaders have been saying for years they were going to try and change the EU from within, Change the EU from within is what people keep telling me, but we got no where near anything we need or wanted. A few tiny concessions on matters that barely mattered. The funny thing is if the EU had shown a little more lenancy we would have voted to stay in and they would not be looking to make up a 7 billion a year deficit. Can not see the French putting in extra money, and will the Baltic states sill love the EU with less handouts or will they look towards Russia again.

Is she not just moved her position into the only one that was offered to her. We wanted access to the single market without immigration,we were told that it wasn't possible.

I accept that, but she has been bombarded by so called experts who have been telling her that we/she should be flexible it demanding the whole package. And it would not be the first time a leader has flip flopped.

It was not just Cameron, leaders have been saying for years they were going to try and change the EU from within, Change the EU from within is what people keep telling me, but we got no where near anything we need or wanted. A few tiny concessions on matters that barely mattered. The funny thing is if the EU had shown a little more lenancy we would have voted to stay in and they would not be looking to make up a 7 billion a year deficit. Can not see the French putting in extra money, and will the Baltic states sill love the EU with less handouts or will they look towards Russia again.

Your right they have, however i do not think any of them made as much noise as Cameron about what he was going to demand and get.

Yep Davis is the leader we never had, problem for him is he seems to get off on getting peoples backs up, I can sympathize with that personality trait but it does not make for a career in politics.
Do you think he might get off on custard covered tights whilst asphyxiating himself?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

What will they do? Kick us out of the club?

I say we put our papers in and get on with negotiating.

May seems to be accepting that we will need to stay in the customs union, at least in the short term. The member states are unlikely to agree to that if we are breaking EU trade rules. Besides, we are not going to be able to agree a decent deal with other countries until our position with the EU is settled and we have a trade agreement with them in place. And we don't have any experienced trade negotiators, so we are not in a position to do it, even if we wanted to.

The process that we are about to enter is very one sides and it is not us who is in control of it. To end up with a good deal will take good will on both sides. Any trade deal or treaty change will require ratification from each member state. tinkling off other countries is just going to make that more difficult.

It was not just Cameron, leaders have been saying for years they were going to try and change the EU from within, Change the EU from within is what people keep telling me, but we got no where near anything we need or wanted. A few tiny concessions on matters that barely mattered.

We have changed the EU from within. The single market was a British (Conservative) initiative, EU eastern European expansion was a British initiative. We had agreed opt outs on all of the main parts of the EU that there was not support for in the UK and a veto on further changes.

He should have stood up to his back benchers first. Secondly, he should never have pulled the Tories out of the European People's Party in the European Parliament, this distanced him from key allies. Thirdly, he should have started talking about the benefits that the EU brought to the UK earlier than four months before he referendum, years of blaming the EU for domestic political failings left him with a mountain to climb and one that he could not deal with credibly. Finally, he should have set a realistic timetable for the negotiations and not tried to push them through when other European countries had more pressing issues to deal with.

even if we could deal now would anyone want to commit to spending into an economy in such flux?

It would not necessarily involve them investing in the UK. It would involve us giving up levels of access to our markets that would likely damage UK business and would not get reciprocal access.

We have changed the EU from within. The single market was a British (Conservative) initiative, EU eastern European expansion was a British initiative. We had agreed opt outs on all of the main parts of the EU that there was not support for in the UK and a veto on further changes.

Wasn't the European Convention on Human Rights also heavily influenced by British politicians?

Are we staying part of that? (I hope so).

Wasn't the European Convention on Human Rights also heavily influenced by British politicians?

Are we staying part of that? (I hope so).

May was advocating getting us out of that whilst still Home Secretary

It is separate to brexit though

Back