• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

the MOTD format is very tiresome, the obligatory 4 minutes of analysis after each game, I like how they do it in the US, they have shows where they just show highlights, if you want to watch ex-pros talk extensively about games, there's a separate show for that and as almost all pro athletes in the land of the stupid went to "college" and are by the nature of college sports very media savvy, it makes for interesting viewing, 10x more insightful than the likes of A.Shearer would come up with.

the MOTD format is very tiresome, the obligatory 4 minutes of analysis after each game, I like how they do it in the US, they have shows where they just show highlights, if you want to watch ex-pros talk extensively about games, there's a separate show for that and as almost all pro athletes in the land of the stupid went to "college" and are by the nature of college sports very media savvy, it makes for interesting viewing, 10x more insightful than the likes of A.Shearer would come up with.

Similar to what Sky do with Test cricket, the coverage of the game is followed by "The Verdict" where analysis and opinion of the days play are dealt with in detail.

Think that the 'majority' of MotD watchers want the ex-pro pundits because half the time or more they re-enforce and confirm the thinking on the terraces about other players, clubs and refs rather than actually challenge or offer insight. It is the 'mate down the pub with the gloss of real experience', the sort of expert that Govian culture allows rather than embracing real knowledge or insight.

I thought MOTD was mostly about how the referee's got on with a bit of banta about the old days thrown in for colour.

I reckon they should bring back the big "R" when they show a replay along with a superscript number to show the number of iterations of the same passage of play on that show.

Mind you I think they wore out that big "R" on Maradonas hand of GHod goal.

As soon as any of the guests on Match of the Day start threatening to say anything intelligent (it doesn't happen often, but I have seen it once or twice), Lineker starts shifting uncomfortably in his chair and trying to crack one-liners to shut them up. To silence the instructions to keep it light that are being fed into his earhole. It's worse than Question Time.

I watch the games I want on s.t.r.e.a.m.s. and I tend to purposely choose Russian ones -- partly because they are good quality and look good on my TV, but mainly it's because I can't understand the commentary. I can make my own mind up about the game and I'd rather read the opinions of people on here than listen to some rubbish on the telly.

I enjoyed watching Shearer have a go at Stones. I refuse to buy into this dross from Phil Neville that Stones has been victimised this year and picked on by everyone. Far too many people give him a free pass or make excuses for his deficiencies because he's a so-called cultured player.

Shearer has started to get more aggressive and opinionated in his punditry. Significant improvement, albeit from a very low starting position.

From bigger review of how they see things .... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38632129

The author's perceived agenda/bias gets a severe slagging in the comments

Chelsea - 1st
Won 14 out of past 15
Back on track and clear title favourites​

Tottenham - 2nd
Won past six
Flew under the radar for a while but now right at the heart of the title race.​

Liverpool - 3rd
One defeat in past 19
Remain title contenders but top four would still be fine achievement.

Arsenal - 4th
Unbeaten in past four
In the mix as their manager demands, but will a soft centre let them down?​

Emirates Marketing Project - 5th
Two defeats in past three
Forget the title. Emirates Marketing Project are in a top-four fight now.​

Manchester United - 6th
Unbeaten in past 12
Top four should be the target. The title is now out of reach​

I enjoyed watching Shearer have a go at Stones. I refuse to buy into this dross from Phil Neville that Stones has been victimised this year and picked on by everyone. Far too many people give him a free pass or make excuses for his deficiencies because he's a so-called cultured player.

Shearer has started to get more aggressive and opinionated in his punditry. Significant improvement, albeit from a very low starting position.

Perhaps he was irked by the presenter's pointed reminder that he (Shearer) had been in charge of one of the wealthiest clubs in the land when it got relegated.

I agree with all the observations about the "he must score" comments from analysts, but it is just a form of linguistic laziness. To me, it just means a chance that the players are going to shake their head over in the dressing room at half time or after the match, and think "if only".

Empirically, the pros on the show must have been in enough matches where they have missed an ostensibly simple chance, either because they were running too fast to control the ball, they were stretching, a defender did just enough to put them off or because their Chalfonts were causing them gyp or something.

What we need is a "lazy comment" filter, that works like the swear filter on Glory-Glory, changing: "he must score" to "that was a good chance"; "he'll be disappointed with that" to "that was a good chance, but I used to play in the same team as him"; "he's got to do better than that" to "I never made a single mistake in my entire career".

Perhaps he was irked by the presenter's pointed reminder that he (Shearer) had been in charge of one of the wealthiest clubs in the land when it got relegated.

I agree with all the observations about the "he must score" comments from analysts, but it is just a form of linguistic laziness. To me, it just means a chance that the players are going to shake their head over in the dressing room at half time or after the match, and think "if only".

Empirically, the pros on the show must have been in enough matches where they have missed an ostensibly simple chance, either because they were running too fast to control the ball, they were stretching, a defender did just enough to put them off or because their Chalfonts were causing them gyp or something.

What we need is a "lazy comment" filter, that works like the swear filter on Glory-Glory, changing: "he must score" to "that was a good chance"; "he'll be disappointed with that" to "that was a good chance, but I used to play in the same team as him"; "he's got to do better than that" to "I never made a single mistake in my entire career".

with shearer in that context it's a funny one, he had the intelligence to put that walcott chance away, he's just not smart enough to articulate how, or to describe walcotts thought process and where that broke down

Wes Brown on MotD2 Extra, absolutely dreadful.

First time as a pundit, maybe - but this guy is Player/Coach at Blackburn. GHod help them

Wes Brown on MotD2 Extra, absolutely dreadful.

First time as a pundit, maybe - but this guy is Player/Coach at Blackburn. GHod help them

I bet Mrs Brown was sat at home cringing at the thought that everyone now thinks her hubby is brain dead.

I bet Mrs Brown was sat at home cringing at the thought that everyone now thinks her hubby is brain dead.
8055d1359026775t-now-its-mrs-browns-boys-movie-tv_mrs_browns_boys_02.jpg

Back