• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Alli has been in excellent goal scoring form lately. But it is easy to forget that it was Alli's moment of stupidity against WBA which got him 3 match ban and destroyed our league title chances last season. Good to see him controlling his temper since then.

Should have known better as the seasoned pro that he is especially since we were relying on him alone to deliver the title

Alli has been in excellent goal scoring form lately. But it is easy to forget that it was Alli's moment of stupidity against WBA which got him 3 match ban and destroyed our league title chances last season. Good to see him controlling his temper since then.

I would say ALL the players have been better at controlling their temper/reactions this year. One day we may get what Poch said post that match, end of season, beginning of this. Dier's lack of reaction at Costa is a perfect example, but I could point to Dier, Rose, Dele, Dembele all being more in control despite obvious opponent wind ups this season.

Right. And what is wrong with making statements like that if you believe them, and more importantly, if they bear scrutiny? Nothing. When it comes to kane, I compared him to Sheringham a few years back after his first pre-season with Poch (before then I had wondered what kind of player he was). 'The guile of Gillian'? Gill never worked a decision out of a ref or gave opponents any aggro, he was not exactly a fiery character, in fact he was smooth, cool, almost insouciant (Berba had a lot of Gilly about him) so I wouldn't give you that, no.

Once again, I think Alli has ALL the qualities I mentioned and I believe he can go on to become one of the world's top midfielders. If you and others find that hyperbolic, then fantastic. My final word? People need to watch more carefully. The guy has been getting into scoring positions all season; his finishing was woeful early season, but his ability to find the spaces still as excellent as ever (this despite losing two players around him who are vital to his game). Class is permanent and he has bundles of it.

You are adopting a particularly narrow definition of "guile'. According to the Collins dictionary it can mean " clever or crafty individual or behaviour " I think this definition fits Gilly to a tee. But also, being Scottish, there was certainly a side to him and he was not some southern pushover and a stickler for the rules, as you imply.

Look, I love Alli and agree with you that he can become one of the greats. Yet such hyperbole at such an early stage in his career really doesn't do him any favours, that is all I am saying.

You are adopting a particularly narrow definition of "guile'. According to the Collins dictionary it can mean " clever or crafty individual or behaviour " I think this definition fits Gilly to a tee. But also, being Scottish, there was certainly a side to him and he was not some southern pushover and a stickler for the rules, as you imply.

Look, I love Alli and agree with you that he can become one of the greats. Yet such hyperbole at such an early stage in his career really doesn't do him any favours, that is all I am saying.

IF you are suggesting that I 'implied' that Alan Gilzean was a southern Englishman, you owe me an apology!!!!!!!!! Good grief man...next you will suggest I think Alfie Conn was from Latvia and Jimmy Greaves an Italian!!!!!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

IF you are suggesting that I 'implied' that Alan Gilzean was a southern Englishman, you owe me an apology!!!!!!!!! Good grief man...next you will suggest I think Alfie Conn was from Latvia and Jimmy Greaves an Italian!!!!!

No apology needed. You stated that "Gillian" and "Gill" ...."was not a fiery character ...who never worked opponents or refs to gain a decision".

In that you are simply wrong. There was certainly no Gillian about Gilly.

No apology needed. You stated that "Gillian" and "Gill" ...."was not a fiery character ...who never worked opponents or refs to gain a decision".

In that you are simply wrong. There was certainly no Gillian about Gilly.

1) Don't be a berk. Where did I imply he was a 'southern softie'? Where did I imply he was not Scottish? Nowhere. Apology accepted!!!! By the way, if you are SERIOUSLY suggesting I wrote 'Gillian' on purpose (when it was a fat-thumbed iphone speed type which auto-corrected without my noticing) then I can only say you have applier similar context to that applied to the initial Alli comment! IF you are looking to be dry, then mission accomplished and enjoy your gold star.

2) I saw Gilzean a few times live and I never ever remember him getting shirty with other players or looking to squeeze one from a ref. He was insouciant personified a la Berba. He was not a lad, he was a smooth operator with tremendous skill.

Final thought on 'guile' and your suspicion that I am
applying a 'narrow definition' (which is nothing to do with anything seeing as I used the term in a specific context). Stephen Hawking is 'clever'...would you say he also has guile in the traditional sense? Not guts, that's obvious, but guile.

Last edited:
I don't get why it's wrong to compare Alli to some of the greats in the game on individual attributes our traits. He really seems that special.

Agreed and I will answer this. I think some people really do not read such descriptions properly, and I think of those that do, some are genuinely afraid of it perhaps not working out? Me? Oh yeah, glass half full, but I do know a player and I believe this boy is potentially all that and much more. Afraid to say it? Nah. Audere Est Facere, right?!!!

1) Don't be a berk. Where did I imply he was a 'southern softie'? Where did I imply he was not Scottish? Nowhere. Apology accepted!!!! By the way, if you are SERIOUSLY suggesting I wrote 'Gillian' on purpose (when it was a fat-thumbed iphone speed type which auto-corrected without my noticing) then I can only say you have applier similar context to that applied to the initial Alli comment! IF you are looking to be dry, then mission accomplished and enjoy your gold star.

2) I saw Gilzean a few times live and I never ever remember him getting shirty with other players or looking to squeeze one from a ref. He was insouciant personified a la Berba. He was not a lad, he was a smooth operator with tremendous skill.

Final thought on 'guile' and your suspicion that I am
applying a 'narrow definition' (which is nothing to do with anything seeing as I used the term in a specific context). Stephen Hawking is 'clever'...would you say he also has guile in the traditional sense? Not guts, that's obvious, but guile.

I suggest you actually read what I said. Where did I say you didn't think Gilzean was Scottish? I am sorry if your post stating "Gillian" and "Gill" was an autocorrect. I took it at face value that these were to be read as a soft "G" to mean you implied he was somehow "girly". I bridled at that, as Gilly ( pronounced with a hard "G")was most certainly not.

I also saw him play several times and on one occasion he had an on-going battle with Brian Labone of Everton. Gilzean was certainly no shrinking violet. He had a side to him. He was certainly clever and crafty. He epitomised "guile".

I don't know Stephen Hawkins and therefore can't comment.

I suggest you actually read what I said. Where did I say you didn't think Gilzean was Scottish? I am sorry if your post stating "Gillian" and "Gill" was an autocorrect. I took it at face value that these were to be read as a soft "G" to mean you implied he was somehow "girly". I bridled at that, as Gilly ( pronounced with a hard "G")was most certainly not.

I also saw him play several times and on one occasion he had an on-going battle with Brian Labone of Everton. Gilzean was certainly no shrinking violet. He had a side to him. He was certainly clever and crafty. He epitomised "guile".

Ironically I think you and steff are both describing the same player, just coming at it from different angles and getting wires crossed partly through semantics.

I don't especially recall the battles you refer to with Labone but I do remember the Everton player could be a right clam, in which case I'm sure steff would agree there's no way Gilly would have allowed himself be outsmarted.

Let's put it like this, Gilly was a gentleman who was skillful rather than artful, canny rather than wily but certainly nobody's fool.

Last edited:
Ironically I think you and steff are both describing the same player, just coming at it from different angles and getting wires crossed partly through semantics.

I don't especially recall the battles you refer to with Labone but I do remember the Everton player could be a right clam, in which case I'm sure steff would agree there's no way Gilly would have allowed himself be outsmarted.

Let's put it like this, Gilly was a gentleman who was skillful rather than artful, canny rather than wily but certainly nobody's fool.
In short, a master craftsman but never a dodgy dealer.

I loved that after he was caught by McCauley he waited for the enzyme chance and let him get the ball before giving him an "equaliser"

Clever play and a lesson learned from last season

Last edited:

You suggested I was referring to him as being a 'southern softie'. No worries, I didn't even notice the absurd auto-correct until this pedant-fest (speaking of which, Hawking!-I suspect you are a victim of auto-correct there). Finally, others detailed my thoughts of Gilzean's code.

Back