• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tony Pulis 24 years of killing football

Sounds very attractive overall but iirc when (decades ago now) the idea of awarding additional points for bigger win margins was raised, the Football League threw it out on the grounds it would open the door to corruption. The fear was that, especially at the business end of the season, mid-table teams with little to play for could too easily be bribed into deliberately conceding a hatful of goals by a team challenging at the top that was desperate to make up ground on the League leaders.

Wonder if there are any precedents for awarding additional points in any other leagues around the world? I'm not aware of any - which may or may not speak volumes.

it would fundamentally change the game, it would (unfairly, imo) put far to much importance on offense

Pulis is a safe bet to keep his team in the PL and that is the only credit he'll get from me. He is the ugly face at the pinnacle of a system that produces this percentage based aerial bombardment that I have been facing my entire life in youth football. The style of football he espouses is not worth watching and therein lies the fallacy that he represents. The ambition of a chairman that hires him is solely motivated by the TV money, nothing more, and shows scant respect to the fans of the club or ironically those neutrals that have contributed via Sky or BT. Who wants to watch it? Certainly not me. If that makes me a football snob then I am one.

I think Pulis adds a lot to the game in a yin-yang sort of way. The EPL has more diverse football than many other leagues. The one football style inbreeding in Italy and Holland produce some great national squads, but the league is too homogeneous for my liking.

Pulis' teams also stop others from focusing entirely on speed and techniques, and presents a valid argument for very expensive players and squads.

Yes he is anti-football, but he also makes the beautiful game more beautiful too.

And Ithink he would do well as England coach with our current lot who have no agreed system of play.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Pulis is a safe bet to keep his team in the PL and that is the only credit he'll get from me. He is the ugly face at the pinnacle of a system that produces this percentage based aerial bombardment that I have been facing my entire life in youth football. The style of football he espouses is not worth watching and therein lies the fallacy that he represents. The ambition of a chairman that hires him is solely motivated by the TV money, nothing more, and shows scant respect to the fans of the club or ironically those neutrals that have contributed via Sky or BT. Who wants to watch it? Certainly not me. If that makes me a football snob then I am one.

Straight from the Charles Hughes book of tactics which thankfully has been binned by the FA now.

Some fan reaction:

1 year extension on contract! Are you serious Albion?

I have never moaned about Pulis because i understand the job he does but cmon Albion what are we playing at, we should have survived and then taken a risk with a new man!! We want to see goals and get the fans back. Boring Boring Baggies.

Fantastic news. Pulis is here to stay, like it or lump it.

Awful news. Contract until the summer was ideal, keep us up and then walk away leaving us to get in someone with plenty of time to identify targets. Now our next three windows worth of potential signings are all to be British and unable to pass a ball.

You mean like Chadli?

Mr Lai is obviously not concerned about loosing money via the dwindling support. shocking albion, another year of rubbish, another year of iffy transfers (angry face)

The lack of ambition here is staggering but of absolutely no surprise.

Disgusted by this news. Lai has well and truly taken a turd in my cornflakes this morning.

Seems fair enough - we're showing steady signs of improvement. I note that's still not enough for some though - I don't know where this belief that we'll get another manager in and suddenly we'll be a swashbuckling attacking side comes from.

I've no doubt some fans will be shouting yipee from the food tops whereas I'm one of those that feel like jumping from it,an extra year of insipid uninspiring negative goofball.Great.

I was hoping he'd see out his contract and then we'd look for someone slightly less pragmatic.

Pretty disappointed.

I think sometimes in football we are very quick to praise managers with riches and ignore those operating at the same level with alot less and holding their own. I personally will never understand that side of football. I will give you an example, when Moyes took over at Everton they went from relegation battles as a skint football club to not finishing outside the top 8 for near on 10 years, thrown into the mix a Champions League campaign and you are talking serious achievements that Everton now see themselves better off for. As with Pulis and Stoke, the hard way to graft a team into the big time. I think there is one hell of a lot to be said for those achievements against Mourinho or Pep, and I mean that seriously. The argument is that Moyes and Pulis could not do what Pep and Mourinho have done, but the same works in reverse and I mean that

I am glad i am not a WBA fan having to look forward to another season under Pullis.

look at the WBA squad. its a championship squad, under most other managers, they wouldn't in the PL, Pulis doesn't play "sexy football" but he gets the results he needs for his team

look at the WBA squad. its a championship squad, under most other managers, they wouldn't in the PL, Pulis doesn't play "sexy football" but he gets the results he needs for his team

Exactly and the facts are he goes head to head with managers that we all say are out of this world, so to be in that company says alot regardless of what people think

superb result against the champions, the master of organizing a back four and counter

Back