• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best album of the 90's - Nevermind vs Unplugged In New York

Which is the better album?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
From this round on, I will leave the thread open for one day before adding a poll. It'll give us a chance to discuss the merits of each albums before deciding how to vote.

It's Nirvana vs Nirvana in our second game of the second round.

Nirvana - Nevermind

220px-NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg

Nevermind is the second studio album by the American rock band Nirvana, released on September 24, 1991. Produced by Butch Vig,Nevermind was the group's first release on DGC Records. Lead singer Kurt Cobain sought to make music outside the restrictive confines of the Seattle grunge scene, drawing influence from groups such as the Pixies and their use of "loud/quiet" dynamics. It is their first album to feature drummer Dave Grohl.

Despite low commercial expectations by the band and its record label, Nevermind became a surprise success in late 1991, largely due to the popularity of its first single, "Smells Like Teen Spirit". By January 1992, it had replaced Michael Jackson's album Dangerous at number one on the Billboard 200 chart. The album also produced three other successful singles: "Come as You Are", "Lithium", and "In Bloom". The Recording Industry Association of America has certified the album diamond (at least 10 million copies shipped), and the album has sold at least 24 million copies worldwide. Nevermind was in part responsible for bringing both alternative rock and grunge to a large, mainstream audience, and has been ranked highly on lists of the greatest albums of all time by publications such as Rolling Stone and Time.

Vs

Nirvana - Unplugged in New York

220px-Nirvana_mtv_unplugged_in_new_york.png

MTV Unplugged in New York is a live album by the American grunge band Nirvana. It features an acoustic performance taped at Sony Music Studios in New York City on November 18, 1993, for the television series MTV Unplugged. The show was directed by Beth McCarthy and first aired on the cable television network MTV on December 16, 1993. As opposed to traditional practice on the television series, the band played a setlist composed of mainly lesser-known material and cover versions of songs by The Vaselines,David Bowie, Lead Belly, and Meat Puppets, whose Cris and Curt Kirkwood joined Nirvana onstage.

MTV Unplugged in New York was the first Nirvana album released following the death of Kurt Cobain. The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, and has become the group's most successful posthumous release, having been certified 5x platinum in the United States by 1997.[2] It also won the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album in 1996. The performance was released on DVD in 2007.

Ouch.

The music snob in me says that Unplugged shouldn't even be in the contest as it's no better than a compilation album.

The part of me that no longer has time to put on a pair of over the ear headphones, close my eyes and listen to an entire album just for the fudge of it says it has to be Unplugged as that's what I listen to far more.

Nevermind was probably way more influential to the masses, but Unplugged is probably more enjoyable.

Ouch.

The music snob in me says that Unplugged shouldn't even be in the contest as it's no better than a compilation album.

The part of me that no longer has time to put on a pair of over the ear headphones, close my eyes and listen to an entire album just for the fudge of it says it has to be Unplugged as that's what I listen to far more.

Nevermind was probably way more influential to the masses, but Unplugged is probably more enjoyable.

You left these in the pseudoscience thread

0e3dd2f1f8d8ff731501b4e725ee1874.jpg

Uplugged for me. I think it captures that raw emotion of Cobain that is lessened by the production in Nevermind.

Nevermind obviously.

Unplugged is great to listen to, but it makes me sad to watch this awesome screaming raw grunge band on mtv surrounded by purple velvet and a thousand lilies and Dave Grohl in a roll neck sweater tapping out a rhythm with brushes. All so nice and pleasant

Nevermind obviously.

Unplugged is great to listen to, but it makes me sad to watch this awesome screaming raw grunge band on mtv surrounded by purple velvet and a thousand lilies and Dave Grohl in a roll neck sweater tapping out a rhythm with brushes. All so nice and pleasant

Yeah, it's all a bit Later, With Jools Holland

Nevermind is, for me , one of the greatest albums of the last 30 years. It has pretty much everything; balance, melodies, grit, hooks, tremendous dynamics and enough snap in every song to render them unforgettable. In the same way as The Black Album by Metallica and Definitely Maybe by Oasis do not carry one ounce of remote filler, Nevermind is an album that demands your full attention from start to finish the moment that metaphoric needle 'drops' for the start of "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...I do love Unplugged for sure...it is a memorable album for several reasons...

Nevermind obviously.

In a sense, that was Cobain about as raw and vulnerable as he could be. It was a strange time for him...successful and seemingly at peace with it, a father yet something was 'off' (his marriage) and he was carrying a deep sense of unhappiness which he had managed to shove down pretty well for a while. He fooled a lot of people at the time. Some of the shows around the "In Utero" tour were as technically excellent as I ever saw them play, and many thought he had found inner peace, when all he had found was a way to keep the pain and depression 'flattened'...the band shirt he wore that night is Frightwig. They were my son's mother's band. He was very excited to be able to offer her band some 'props'...a great loss...

I defy anyone to listen to "All Apologies" and not hear the pain. Uncomfortable really. We could probably discuss Nirvana for hours and hours...

I like Unplugged a lot but only one of these two albums can be considered an classic.

It is a difficult one to make a decision on as others have said both albums are very good. I have always like the "Unplugged" albums by groups etc, its good to see a artist/s just sat with a guitar and play without the need for the heavier sound, its basic and gets back to a man and his guitar sound that is the basis of all feeling.

I defy anyone to listen to "All Apologies" and not hear the pain. Uncomfortable really. We could probably discuss Nirvana for hours and hours...

This is why I prefer it to Nevermind. It is raw, really raw and a little difficult to watch (though not as difficult as the Alice in Chains unplugged with Layne showing the awful effects of heroin addiction).

I like Unplugged a lot but only one of these two albums can be considered an classic.

Thus why I went for Nevermind...I was more just bouncing back at the 'Jools Holland' quip! ;)...at the end of the day, I play Nevermind with regularity (although it must be said both the live performances from Reading and the Paramount in Seattle get a good caning here too).

For reasons I cannot comprehend I own both these albums. In over 20 years they've never left the shelf.

Thus why I went for Nevermind...I was more just bouncing back at the 'Jools Holland' quip! ;)...at the end of the day, I play Nevermind with regularity (although it must be said both the live performances from Reading and the Paramount in Seattle get a good caning here too).

I was only taking the tinkle.

I haven't heard the 92 Reading performance since being there. At the time I preferred their performance the year before.

It is remarkable to think that they were quite low down the bill sandwiched between Silverfish and Chapterhouse in 91. Nevermind came out in September and they are indisputably the biggest band on the planet by the time they played again the next summer.

Last edited:
Back