• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best album of the 90's - Ten vs Music for the Jilted Generation

Which album is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
From this round on, I will leave the thread open for one day before adding a poll. It'll give us a chance to discuss the merits of each albums before deciding how to vote.

First up in the second round we have Pearl Jam up against the Prodigy.

Pearl Jam - Ten

220px-PearlJam-Ten2.jpg

Ten is the debut studio album by the American rock band Pearl Jam, released on August 27, 1991 through Epic Records. Following the disbanding of bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard's previous group Mother Love Bone, the two recruited vocalist Eddie Vedder, guitarist Mike McCready, and drummer Dave Krusen to form Pearl Jam in 1990. Most of the songs began as instrumental jams, to which Vedder added lyrics about topics such as depression, homelessness, and abuse.

Ten was not an immediate success, but by late 1992 it had reached number two on the Billboard 200 chart. The album produced three hit singles: "Alive", "Even Flow", and "Jeremy". While Pearl Jam was accused of jumping on the grunge bandwagon at the time,Ten was instrumental in popularizing alternative rock in the mainstream.[2] In February 2013, the album crossed the 10 million mark in sales, becoming the 22nd one to do so in the Nielsen Soundscan era[3] and has been certified 13x platinum by the RIAA. It remains Pearl Jam's most commercially successful album.[4]

Vs

The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation

220px-TheProdigy-MusicForTheJiltedGeneration.jpg

Music for the Jilted Generation is the second studio album by English electronic dance music band The Prodigy. The album was released through XL Recordings in July 1994.

The album was re-released in 2008 as More Music for the Jilted Generation, including remastered and bonus tracks.[2] Similarly to their previous record Experience, Maxim Reality is the only group member, besides Liam Howlett, from the then line-up to contribute to the album.

So which is better? Which has the better songs? Which had the bigger impact? And why should we vote for one over the other?

Both incredible albums that I love to bits. But Id have to go with Ten purely from a personal point of view as 91 and 92 were some of the best years of my life, and Ten was my soundtrack.

I think Ten is a better "album", there are about 5 amazing tracks on JG for sure but also a lot of forgettable stuff.

I take the opposite view to Galeforce.
PJ only ever had a few really good songs.
JG as an album has structure, personality and changes in pace - which were essential for the type of music on it, otherwise it would have become overload. Even the final three tracks making the Narcotic Suite give it the perfect come down.
It's a great example of using weaker tracks as "pacer" tracks rather than just "filler'

I take the opposite view to Galeforce.
PJ only ever had a few really good songs.
JG as an album has structure, personality and changes in pace - which were essential for the type of music on it, otherwise it would have become overload. Even the final three tracks making the Narcotic Suite give it the perfect come down.
It's a great example of using weaker tracks as "pacer" tracks rather than just "filler'

GTFO

Prodigy wins this one for me. Outside of Even Flow, I'm just not that big a fan of Pearl Jam, whilst I really like all of Prodigy's music..so it's a bit of a one sided round for me.

When @milo first said he was running this contest, 10 was one of the first albums that popped into my mind.

For me it's one of the defining sounds of the early 90s. No contest for me at all.

It even convinced my wife that Pearl Jam aren't entirely brick which is a miracle from someone with her music tastes.

It's very close but Pearl Jam go out by a single vote and fall to the Prodigy for the second time in this competition. The Prodigy go through to the next round where they will face a tough game against Nirvana.

It's very close but Pearl Jam go out by a single vote and fall to the Prodigy for the second time in this competition. The Prodigy go through to the next round where they will face a tough game against Nirvana.
I take some comfort in the fact that such a wrong decision would have had no lasting effect.

Back