• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Shame on you all bigging him up after looking at his youtube highlights ... he is going to sign elsewhere and then we will throw our dummies out and say that he was never spurs calibre.

Lol at the RvP and Ruud comparisons ... there lies the problem in itself. This Chap does not look technical like RvP or even resemble his finesse. He doesn't look like a poacher like Ruud either ...

Comparing this player to players because they are simply dutch is laughable.

Shame on you all bigging him up after looking at his youtube highlights ... he is going to sign elsewhere and then we will throw our dummies out and say that he was never spurs calibre.

Lol at the RvP and Ruud comparisons ... there lies the problem in itself. This Chap does not look technical like RvP or even resemble his finesse. He doesn't look like a poacher like Ruud either ...

Huntelaar then? He has poor technique.

Was secretly hoping Janssen would be our prime target and really happy about this. The fact that he's in London, too, is very encouraging. And even if AZ want a couple of million quid more than reported, he's still in our price range, which makes it even more encouraging.

COYL! (Come On You Levy)

He looks like he has some raw ingredients to work with, and if he is as conscientious and hard working as has been said by those that know him then the signs are encouraging.

I don't think there is any point in comparing him with other Dutch strikers. It's up to him to make his own name.

Poch loves a trier so I see only good things for all sides in this potential deal

I think there was an article from a Dtuch journo a couple pages back which made this comparison.

He looks a lot more like Ruud Van Horseface than RvP if you ask me.

Erm....I'll go against the grain and say that I'm not too sure about this one, to be honest. We could judge Batshuayi and Lacazette based on certain factors (Poch confirming his interest in the former, Bielsa recommending the former, etcetera; with the latter, it's his impressive goal record over multiple seasons), but this Janssen's coming off one good year in the Eredivisie, was contracted to a side in the Dutch lower leagues at this time last year, and doesn't look like he possesses an easily definable key skill (unlike, say, Vazquez, who if nothing else at least appears to be a nutmeg master, judging by his videos :p ).

Of course, the scouts and Mitchell are paid to watch him in games and probably pick up on things we can't as fans (off-the-ball movement, perhaps, or footballing intelligence), but from my lamentable Youtube-based standpoint he doesn't seem all that special; decent finisher, decent header, gets into good positions fairly frequently..but doesn't look exceptional in any of those categories, and doesn't particularly look stronger than most, or possessed of any innate physical attributes that recommend themselves immediately to the observer (As far as examples of this phenomenon go, Batshuayi is pretty powerfully built, and Lacazette is just really quick).

Soldado looked like a nightmarishly good finisher based on his Villarreal vids - shooting from acute angles, finding the corner with impunity, conducting audacious flying volleys and backheeled goals like they were nothing. Yet we saw how he turned out, confidence shot and physically outmuscled by most of the players he came up against, to the point where even his finishing disappeared. Janssen's coming from the Eredivisie, which makes the possibility of him doing a Soldado doubly scary because the Eredivisie, unlike La Liga, is just pretty crap in general (relative to the Premier League), and produces loads of Vlemincxes and Altidores (both Eredivisie top scorers in their time) for every Suarez or RvN that does emerge.

Unlike some signings that shall not be named (which happened in January 2012 and August 2014, to be precise), I think this lad isn't a panic low-budget move, and that, if we sign him, we'll have probably seen something genuinely of interest in his skills and profile (and he's not without an upside by any means; his finishing seems good, he appears genuinely two-footed if the articles are anything to go by, and he's a good lad by all accounts, willing to learn), an assertion which I'm basing on the fact that Poch went to see him play against Ireland, among other things.

But I can't hand on heart say that I'm not somewhat apprehensive despite that. I'll be happy if he signs and we fill our backup striker position early enough, but I'll hold off on asserting that he'll be an immediate success, if he does end up signing for us.

maybe @AjaxDeSuperYids can offer an opinion - assuming he watches much Dutch football?

I can't help too much sadly as I only occasionally watch Ajax and miss most of even that as they send me of to sleep quite quickly these days!

Thought it was interesting that feyenoord released him just 3 years ago at the age of 18! Although I think that speaks more of (or less) feyenoord than Janssen. The article on who he is that sky have just done is worth a read and is encouraging on a number of different attributes.

At first I thought this was all a ploy on getting the batyushi fee down. Looks like levy has played that one to a tee with batyushi choosing Spurs and then we refuse to pay the large fee and Marseille need to sell in 2 weeks reportedly.

These links seem a bit coincidental and could be designed to scare Marseille into a deal we like.

However Janssen could be good for us I feel but I don't want West Ham signing batyushi.

Could be a beast for them by playing every week.

I can't help too much sadly as I only occasionally watch Ajax and miss most of even that as they send me of to sleep quite quickly these days!

Thought it was interesting that feyenoord released him just 3 years ago at the age of 18! Although I think that speaks more of (or less) feyenoord than Janssen. The article on who he is that sky have just done is worth a read and is encouraging on a number of different attributes.

At first I thought this was all a ploy on getting the batyushi fee down. Looks like levy has played that one to a tee with batyushi choosing Spurs and then we refuse to pay the large fee and Marseille need to sell in 2 weeks reportedly.

These links seem a bit coincidental and could be designed to scare Marseille into a deal we like.

However Janssen could be good for us I feel but I don't want West Ham signing batyushi.

Could be a beast for them by playing every week.

I wonder if we might not buy both? IF the price is right...

I'm sure we would go for Batshuayi of he cost around 15 mill which is what he is worth based on what he has produced so far. But Marseille are being ridiculous if they are wanting upwards of 30 mill. Jokers in fact.

Erm....I'll go against the grain and say that I'm not too sure about this one, to be honest. We could judge Batshuayi and Lacazette based on certain factors (Poch confirming his interest in the former, Bielsa recommending the former, etcetera; with the latter, it's his impressive goal record over multiple seasons), but this Janssen's coming off one good year in the Eredivisie, was contracted to a side in the Dutch lower leagues at this time last year, and doesn't look like he possesses an easily definable key skill (unlike, say, Vazquez, who if nothing else at least appears to be a nutmeg master, judging by his videos :p ).

Of course, the scouts and Mitchell are paid to watch him in games and probably pick up on things we can't as fans (off-the-ball movement, perhaps, or footballing intelligence), but from my lamentable Youtube-based standpoint he doesn't seem all that special; decent finisher, decent header, gets into good positions fairly frequently..but doesn't look exceptional in any of those categories, and doesn't particularly look stronger than most, or possessed of any innate physical attributes that recommend themselves immediately to the observer (As far as examples of this phenomenon go, Batshuayi is pretty powerfully built, and Lacazette is just really quick).

Soldado looked like a nightmarishly good finisher based on his Villarreal vids - shooting from acute angles, finding the corner with impunity, conducting audacious flying volleys and backheeled goals like they were nothing. Yet we saw how he turned out, confidence shot and physically outmuscled by most of the players he came up against, to the point where even his finishing disappeared. Janssen's coming from the Eredivisie, which makes the possibility of him doing a Soldado doubly scary because the Eredivisie, unlike La Liga, is just pretty crap in general (relative to the Premier League), and produces loads of Vlemincxes and Altidores (both Eredivisie top scorers in their time) for every Suarez or RvN that does emerge.

Unlike some signings that shall not be named (which happened in January 2012 and August 2014, to be precise), I think this lad isn't a panic low-budget move, and that, if we sign him, we'll have probably seen something genuinely of interest in his skills and profile (and he's not without an upside by any means; his finishing seems good, he appears genuinely two-footed if the articles are anything to go by, and he's a good lad by all accounts, willing to learn), an assertion which I'm basing on the fact that Poch went to see him play against Ireland, among other things.

But I can't hand on heart say that I'm not somewhat apprehensive despite that. I'll be happy if he signs and we fill our backup striker position early enough, but I'll hold off on asserting that he'll be an immediate success, if he does end up signing for us.
I'm kinda with you on this. I was slightly underwhelmed by these clips. And this is despite me not really being able to point to anything negative. He's shown good finishing, left foot, right foot, headers. What's not to like?

There are a few things though that make this transfer interesting. £12m for a 21 year old prolific scorer, who by all account is a driven, dedicated hard worker with a great attitude and always looking to improve. I can imagine he will produce performances beyond his skill level.

However, he's no Breel Embolo!

Perhaps but unless we start playing 2 up top fairly often then I can't see the need for 3 strikers.

Maybe against the so called brick teams at home that well and truly park the bus, Poch will play two up front but wouldn't that effect his system? I'm not sure.

But like you said a few times I'm happy to back whatever Poch, Mitchell and co choose to do.

Perhaps but unless we start playing 2 up top fairly often then I can't see the need for 3 strikers.

Maybe against the so called brick teams at home that well and truly park the bus, Poch will play two up front but wouldn't that effect his system? I'm not sure.

But like you said a few times I'm happy to back whatever Poch, Mitchell and co choose to do.

It could be that because our budget is a finite amount and depends on who we manage to sell that we are looking at a lot of options so that we can work it to its fullest

Say we only raise a budget of around 25m - thats not going to stretch far so picking up, for example, Wanyama and Janssen may be seen better than spending the bulk on Batshuayi and not having much left over to strengthen other positions - transfers arent really a simple case of prefering one player to another, you have to factor in the knock on effect it has on the overall budget.

And then sell Kane to Madrid to fund the stadium?

No way we'll have 3 £10m+ top international out-and-out/lone CFs battling for 1 spot
I think potentially we could sign this guy and a WF/CF type alongside him - but agree that we arent likely to see 3 out and out CFs in the squad next season

I think potentially we could sign this guy and a WF/CF type alongside him - but agree that we arent likely to see 3 out and out CFs in the squad next season

I don't think that will happen unless Son and Njie are sold, which I don't see happening at all. In fact I think both will play big part next season.

Back