• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Women's Sport

Modric THFC

Jimmy McCormick
Huge kerfuffle coming out of the Australian open about equal pay.
But isn't the real problem with Women's Sport that the average women doesn't want to watch it?

I think the main problem with women's sport is that it's brick to watch!!

I remember an old boy in the bookies ooh must be 25 years ago. He heard about women's football and said 'Women's football? Bloody 'ell they won't even let us have that to ourselves!!'

I think the main problem with women's sport is that it's brick to watch!!

I remember an old boy in the bookies ooh must be 25 years ago. He heard about women's football and said 'Women's football? Bloody 'ell they won't even let us have that to ourselves!!'

Spoken like a proper VAULT man, guess a lot of younger supporters will have no idea what I mean by that. :)

Sorry but Djokovic is right. Mens tennis is more popular than womens tennis.

If you think about it, the women actually get paid more per set than the men as they men play 5 sets. Women can run marathons and triathlons, I'm sure they can handle 5 sets of tennis, in the final at the very least. Very simple concept really, play the same length as the mens, get paid the same.

Two things,
1. I would have more sympathy if they weren't winning more in a year than most of us earn in a lifetime.
2. its not pay its winnings. The winnings come from sponsors and ticket money. More men are interested in sport so the sponsors pay more to have an opportunity to sell to the male audience. Men don't want to watch women's sport, women don't watch sport so viewing figures and revenue is lower, smaller winnings.

do advertising slots around the men's game cost more?

if so that explains it and could have saved a few people some embarrassment

personally I prefer women's tennis, I'm not a fan of the power game*, not that I'm much of a fan full stop

*not exclusive to the men's game but more common imo

Sorry but Djokovic is right. Mens tennis is more popular than womens tennis.

If you think about it, the women actually get paid more per set than the men as they men play 5 sets. Women can run marathons and triathlons, I'm sure they can handle 5 sets of tennis, in the final at the very least. Very simple concept really, play the same length as the mens, get paid the same.

It's nothing to do with how much tennis they play it's about the money generated tbf - I think the best way to show this would be to stop combined tours and have mens tournaments and womens tournaments - then see which generates the most money and that will then show why the male players get more money than the females.

It's nothing to do with how much tennis they play it's about the money generated tbf - I think the best way to show this would be to stop combined tours and have mens tournaments and womens tournaments - then see which generates the most money and that will then show why the male players get more money than the females.
Was going to post the same thing. Problem solved.

I agree with that, but at the same time, the men get paid less for doing more work than the women. I agree totally with the revenue argument, but I feel more passionately about the fact that women should play 5 sets if they want the same money as men. I'm pleased that Djokovic had the gonad*s to say it publicly. Granted he's the number 1 player in the sport so his word carries a lot of weight, but it's still a risky view to have (publicly) so fair play to him.

they only play extra sets in the majors, but it should absolutely be factored in

follow the money, it's the answer to everything

What on earth? Why should there be "men's tennis" and "women's tennis"? Just put all tennis players in the same tournament, regardless of gender.

How very sexist we are. Get rid of the gender bandings. Then we'll see who gets paid what.

I agree, there are lots of arguments against it (with different levels of validity based on context) but ultimately I don't see any long term benefit to separation.

First and foremost sport is about advertising revenue, after that it's (well, it should be) about the pursuit of perfection, no caveats.

What on earth? Why should there be "men's tennis" and "women's tennis"? Just put all tennis players in the same tournament, regardless of gender.

How very sexist we are. Get rid of the gender bandings. Then we'll see who gets paid what.

The thing is there no simple line dividing men and women either.
This is a great article http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/29446276

One reason we have women's sport is because those people want to take part in sport at their level.
Thats the same reason we have Sunday League etc.

The main reason it exists in the first place is because of feminism.

Imagine the same criteria being used to stage an all non west african descent 100m race!

Back