• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Favourite Irish Spurs player.

Stephen Carr was a hero of mine growing up (I played right back and am Irish)

He gets a lot of grief for his statement when he left but we were dogbrick at the time and Saudi Sportswashing Machine were challenging for the league under the great Bobby Robson so you can see why he felt the way he did

WTF, how posts and there's no mention of Danny blanchflower in a favourite Irish player thread!
When guys like Keane and Carr who left for"bigger" clubs get a mention, my GHod what's the world coming to.
Danny Blanchflower is my favourite Northern Irish player.

Robbie Keane gets the nod from me for our best ever player from the Republic of Ireland. He is one of those rare players that combined skill with awareness and work-rate. He also had a real confidence about him. He was a big part of THFC's resurgence.

He gets a lot of grief for his statement when he left but we were dogbrick at the time and Saudi Sportswashing Machine were challenging for the league under the great Bobby Robson so you can see why he felt the way he did

isn't that the year they had an awful start, sacked Robson and finished in the bottom half?

I'm Irish and was old enough to know Carr was an absolute clam for coming out and supporting Campbell. I wanted him gone from the club after that. Was glad to see him fudge off to a Saudi Sportswashing Machine dressing room that was already in revolt before he joined. Shows how stupid he was that he didnt pay any head to the media reports around Saudi Sportswashing Machine at the time. Robson was his manager for 3 weeks before Shearer finally got him sacked.

I'm Irish and was old enough to know Carr was an absolute clam for coming out and supporting Campbell. I wanted him gone from the club after that. Was glad to see him fudge off to a Saudi Sportswashing Machine dressing room that was already in revolt before he joined. Shows how stupid he was that he didnt pay any head to the media reports around Saudi Sportswashing Machine at the time. Robson was his manager for 3 weeks before Shearer finally got him sacked.

Stevie Carr was held in very high esteem at Tottenham among both management and fans and could have been part of the team for years to come. He could have been a Spurs legend. His support of Campbell was nothing short of macaronic. His statement upon leaving really cooked his goose. His career spectacularly took a dive once he left. Did it all to himself.

Robbie Keane gets the nod from me for our best ever player from the Republic of Ireland. He is one of those rare players that combined skill with awareness and work-rate. He also had a real confidence about him. He was a big part of THFC's resurgence.

Absolutely spot on. Scored so many wonderful goals Robbie, sometimes frustrating but other times brilliant, and what a celebration.

Yep, I couldn't believe our luck when we signed him. Just what we needed at the time. Had a business and liveliness about him, sniffing out chances, often scoring quite spectacular goals. I remember one against Blackburn being particularly good.

Excellent player, easily one of the best players I've seen in a Spurs shirt. His partnership with Berbatov was epic.

Agree, I remember where I was when I heard the news that we had signed him and how glad I was.

Pat Jennings
Jennings my worst Irish player by a long way.how can you possibly like a player who leaves us for arSe when we were down.
Blanchflower our greatest Irish-man. Won footballer of the year twice for me! Also Robbie Kean... Played so well for us scoring many great goals.

Jennings my worst Irish player by a long way.how can you possibly like a player who leaves us for arSe when we were down.
Blanchflower our greatest Irish-man. Won footballer of the year twice for me! Also Robbie Kean... Played so well for us scoring many great goals.

thats not the way it happened, we treated him very badly

As a player, Blanchflower was before my time. And as someone who became a fan in the late 70s, I don't really remember much about Jennings except my Dad being pretty tinkled off that he'd joined Arsenal.

So for me, it has to be Robbie Keane. Some will talk about the Liverpool debacle, but I choose to remember the good times - and there were plenty of those with Keane. He was a huge part of our transformation from mid-table mediocrity to a side that broke into the top four. When he arrived in 2002 he was, arguably, a level above almost everyone else in the squad*. But for all his pointy-shoutiness he was never a prima-donna and he worked harder than almost anyone else in the squad. That combination of being a genuinely good striker and being willing to work his arse off and demand the same of others was exactly what we needed in the squad.

There are lots of reasons why we've taken a step up in the past decade or so. And I don't think Keane's part in that process should be under-estimated.

* We had a few other gems of course (King and Poyet spring to mind - and Sheringham was still scoring when Keane arrived)

Joe Kinnear for me, great player, clam as a manager.

Joe Kinnear was way before my time but my grandmother (not meaning to make you feel old!) told me he was a great player. But the only memory I have of Joe Kinnear is of him being at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. And the main memory I have of him at Saudi Sportswashing Machine is of him saying Saudi Sportswashing Machine are bigger than Spurs.

No offense if you're reading Greg, but Saudi Sportswashing Machine haven't won a trophy in 50+ years. I could list a whole load of now lower league sides who have won compeitions since they have.

Then there's all this bullcrap he came out with about signing certain players and making money off them when he hadn't signed them to begin with. He also seems to think he played 500+ games for Spurs when he hadn't even played anywhere near half of that.

Question was favourite not greatest, Blanchflower was our greatest without a doubt.

Not sure he counts as Irish, as he only played for the republic through a grandmother connection, but one of my first favourite players, in the 80's was Tony Galvin.

Back