• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

Berahino and Austin aren't improvements - they are 'bad old Spurs' type signings. A Bent and a Rasiak.

Poch likes to keep a tight 22/25 man squad. If you bring in them, 2 have to go. Chadli and Dembele had been dropped out of our front 8 (4x2) to accommodate them in the O/P about this.
Sorry mate but that is absolutely bo1locks.... Neither are "bad old Spurs signings". Austin has scored goals at an excellent rate at every club he has been at and already proven that he is prolific at Premier league level.

You also seem to compare Berahino to Bent simply because of the club they would come from / came from. Bent was a pure goalscorer who was unsuited to getting involved in build up play. Berahino isn't that type of player at all. Sometimes I wonder how many times you have actually watched Berahino play. He is a very good footballer, actually completely unsuited to WBA, the perfect sort of a player for a footballing side like us.

I would have either Austin or Berahino at Spurs (but not both). I think they are both significantly better options at number 9 than Son is. Son can then continue to get used to Premier League football in his correct position as one of the three behind the number 9.

Er...sorry but how is Berahino a 'Bent or Rasiak' type of signing??

Berahino is a Bent in that he's a decent mid-table player with a bit of pace who can play on the break. He's not though really the type of cerebral and back-to-goal forward that top teams who dominate possession need.

The Rasiak tag was aimed more at Austin - a slightly brutish player effective in the championship/for a relegation side, but not got the calibre for a top 6 side.

Berahino is a Bent in that he's a decent mid-table player with a bit of pace who can play on the break. He's not though really the type of cerebral and back-to-goal forward that top teams who dominate possession need.

The Rasiak tag was aimed more at Austin - a slightly brutish player effective in the championship/for a relegation side, but not got the calibre for a top 6 side.

What evidence can you present for this (apart from "he plays for West Brom/Pulis"?)?

This is very interesting. It suggests to me that you judge the players on the clubs they play for instead of actually watching them play. Berahino is nothing like Bent as a player. Bent was completely unsuited to getting involved in a team's build up play, Berahino is a very good footballer.

You then say we need a back to goal forward before you discount Austin - who actually is a very good back to goal footballer.

Have you watched either player? Did you watch the video of 10 of Berahino's goals on the Daily Mail page?... Look how similar those goals are to the type of ones that Kane scores for us.

This is very interesting. It suggests to me that you judge the players on the clubs they play for instead of actually watching them play. Berahino is nothing like Bent as a player. Bent was completely unsuited to getting involved in a team's build up play, Berahino is a very good footballer.

You then say we need a back to goal forward before you discount Austin - who actually is a very good back to goal footballer.

Have you watched either player? Did you watch the video of 10 of Berahino's goals on the Daily Mail page?... Look how similar those goals are to the type of ones that Kane scores for us.

Only the games against us and for the U21s. I don't tend to watch other third party games as much these days now all our matches are broadcast live. Berahino just always looks a bit head down/relying on his pace, which I think is a phase we've outgrown now with Defoe and Lennon being moved on and Townsend marginalised (though I do have time for the latter two).

Only the games against us and for the U21s. I don't tend to watch other third party games as much these days now all our matches are broadcast live. Berahino just always looks a bit head down/relying on his pace, which I think is a phase we've outgrown now with Defoe and Lennon being moved on and Townsend marginalised (though I do have time for the latter two).
Defoe & Lennon were/are two super players, always have been. Anyone who thinks different simply doesn'y understand football! Townsend is a decent player in the right team, as he showed at times. He would be more useful at the minute than Eriksen

Were crying out for pace at times and its so difficult to stop. Look at the impact Mane has and he has tinkle poor technique but loads of raw pace

Kane is quick for his size and physical but it would ideal to have a contrast where possible as well as an alternative

You never rated Defoe yet he is one of our record scorers

So now Berahino is a 'head down' type of player? You've not really ever watched him have you?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/15/liverpool-inaki-williams-athletic-bilbao

'Liverpool are monitoring Athletic Bilbao’s forward Iñaki Williams, who has a release clause in his contract of €20m and has also attracted interest from Atlético Madrid and Real Madrid.
The 21-year-old is a product of Bilbao’s academy and has scored 10 goals this season for them playing as a winger. Williams operates as a central striker for Spain’s Under-21s and it is understood that Liverpool have scouted him in recent weeks as Jürgen Klopp attempts to bolster his forward line.

Arsenal and Tottenham have also sent scouts to watch Williams but Atlético and Real could make a move for him in this transfer window given that they are facing transfer bans in the summer and January 2017.'

LEVY, GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR, DAMMIT!

The trouble is what other young proven premiership strikers are there available for that sort of price? In fact what strikers are there available in our price range. The only game I really took notice of this season with Berahino in was the baggies against Emirates Marketing Project early in the season. City totally controlled the game but I thought Berahino played really well up front on his own. He certainly worked very hard for the team and didn`t look like he was sulking to me. IIRC he actually netted a goal in the game but was flaggeg offside.

Certainly didn`t look like "a head down" sort of player to me

Like I said I think Levy's role was vital. And my initial comment was that I find it shocking how people would have wanted Redknapp to have more freedom in the transfer market considering his record.

I wouldn't call it a scatter gun approach though. He made some very good signings strengthening key areas for us as a team. In a way it was a good blueprint approach for how to deal with a squad with obvious talent and potential, but lacking in consistency and balance. Also worth noting that Redknapp changed his approach from what he had done previously at smaller clubs by going primarily for PL proven players, exactly what we needed at the time.
I think it far more likely (whilst being cautious of my own bias) that Redknapp did what Redknapp does (scattergun) and Levy did what Levy does. It would look the same from the outside.

The trouble is what other young proven premiership strikers are there available for that sort of price? In fact what strikers are there available in our price range. The only game I really took notice of this season with Berahino in was the baggies against Emirates Marketing Project early in the season. City totally controlled the game but I thought Berahino played really well up front on his own. He certainly worked very hard for the team and didn`t look like he was sulking to me. IIRC he actually netted a goal in the game but was flaggeg offside.

Certainly didn`t look like "a head down" sort of player to me
In our price range that fit the bill - not many that we know of.
However the post above re; Inaki Williams.... he would seem to for the criteria based on my (not extensive!) knowledge

Defoe & Lennon were/are two super players, always have been. Anyone who thinks different simply doesn'y understand football! Townsend is a decent player in the right team, as he showed at times. He would be more useful at the minute than Eriksen

They were good players for us but neither of them would fit particularly well into our current team. I also agree that Townsend would be a useful player in the right team but I do not see how you can say he would be better for us right now than Eriksen. He just doesn't fit our team and has looked well off the pace when he has featured over the last couple of seasons.

This isn't a comment on Berahino though. I don't think that he's a head down player or relies on pace. When I have watched him, I have been impressed with his work rate and closing down.

I think inaki would be similar to Son, not that I can say I have seen him live, but judging by you tube and reports etc(i know you should never judge a player from you tube clips) As I said in the Berahino thread he has played with Kane for the England U21's and as far as I can remember the press were quite enthusiastic about the partnership. I dont think anyone should judge Beharino on his perfomances for the Baggies this season. He made it clear he wanted to join us and was gutted when it did not happen. I think he would blossom with Poch into another young english star breaking into the full England team.
In my opinion he would bring pace and finishing to our attack and would have been ideal to bring off the bench in the Leicester game the other night.
We have got a decent squad but I dont think we have any real impact subs to change a game, unless of course its a cup game and we bring Harry off the bench!

Were crying out for pace at times and its so difficult to stop. Look at the impact Mane has and he has tinkle poor technique but loads of raw pace

Kane is quick for his size and physical but it would ideal to have a contrast where possible as well as an alternative

You never rated Defoe yet he is one of our record scorers
They were good players for us but neither of them would fit particularly well into our current team. I also agree that Townsend would be a useful player in the right team but I do not see how you can say he would be better for us right now than Eriksen. He just doesn't fit our team and has looked well off the pace when he has featured over the last couple of seasons.

This isn't a comment on Berahino though. I don't think that he's a head down player or relies on pace. When I have watched him, I have been impressed with his work rate and closing down.

The problem Townsend or any player has trying to get into Pochs team is he is very loyal to someone who does what he asks...exactly. Look at Bentalab, one mistake and he has plummeted down the pecking order after being no1 choice last year. Unless you come into the team and do something straight off the bat then you disappear again. Now to do that without a run in the team to get Match fit is extremely difficult. Fans are super critical when players don't come straight in and fly. I love Poch but this is a flaw he has and Bentalab, Son and Townsend have all suffered from it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/15/liverpool-inaki-williams-athletic-bilbao

'Liverpool are monitoring Athletic Bilbao’s forward Iñaki Williams, who has a release clause in his contract of €20m and has also attracted interest from Atlético Madrid and Real Madrid.
The 21-year-old is a product of Bilbao’s academy and has scored 10 goals this season for them playing as a winger. Williams operates as a central striker for Spain’s Under-21s and it is understood that Liverpool have scouted him in recent weeks as Jürgen Klopp attempts to bolster his forward line.

Arsenal and Tottenham have also sent scouts to watch Williams but Atlético and Real could make a move for him in this transfer window given that they are facing transfer bans in the summer and January 2017.'

LEVY, GET IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR, DAMMIT!

They need more forwards really as they only have half a squad full

The problem Townsend or any player has trying to get into Pochs team is he is very loyal to someone who does what he asks...exactly. Look at Bentalab, one mistake and he has plummeted down the pecking order after being no1 choice last year. Unless you come into the team and do something straight off the bat then you disappear again. Now to do that without a run in the team to get Match fit is extremely difficult. Fans are super critical when players don't come straight in and fly. I love Poch but this is a flaw he has and Bentalab, Son and Townsend have all suffered from it.

I think that Bentaleb's issue has been getting injured and his replacements playing very well. I am sure that he will get his time again, given a chance but his performances since coming back from injury, have done little to force the issue. I think that Son's situation is similar. Townsend on the other hand is just ill suited to this manager's preferred way of playing. I cannot think of a single decent performance that Townsend has put in under Poch. It is a shame that it hasn't worked out but I think that it is best for everyone if he moves on.

Back