• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

People who want Bentaleb to play with little to no risk should remember the second half against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. There was no risk and no willingness to receive the ball under pressure.

As a result we didn't manage to play through their pressure, and completely failed to hold onto the ball and control the game. We were reduced to hopeful and outright poor service to our front 4 and put under much more pressure than was necessary.

People who want Bentaleb to play with little to no risk should remember the second half against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. There was no risk and no willingness to receive the ball under pressure.

As a result we didn't manage to play through their pressure, and completely failed to hold onto the ball and control the game. We were reduced to hopeful and outright poor service to our front 4 and put under much more pressure than was necessary.

I don't think Bentaleb can do enough on his own alongside Dier. He isn't that creative yet.
Mason was what was missing today.
Mason's tempo, Mason's leadership, Mason constantly nipping at their heels.
His runs into the box.
Bentaleb doesnt have that.

I don't think Bentaleb can do enough on his own alongside Dier. He isn't that creative yet.
Mason was what was missing today.
Mason's tempo, Mason's leadership, Mason constantly nipping at their heels.
His runs into the box.
Bentaleb doesnt have that.

There was a lot more than that missing:

1. Dembele's calm possession and ability to fight off 3 players and find a pass to a man in space;
2. Dier's calmness on the ball and ability to break up play;
3. Verts calmness in defence and strength to hold off a player and not get wrong side;
4. Kane's calmness on the ball and ability to be in the right place at the right time from a cross;
5. Eriksen's calmness on the ball and the ability to create a goal, and make the front 4 tick;
6. Alli's calmness on the ball and the ability to look like a world beater but instead looking like a 19 year old coming up from the lower league;
7. Rose's calmness on the ball and the ability to be strong and hold off players twice his size;
8. Lloris' calmness on the ball and the ability to save otherwise simple chances;
9. Walker's calmness on the ball and the ability to mark his man and outpace him regularly;
10. Alderweireld's calmness on the ball and the ability to organise the back 4 so that they squeeze the space between them and our midfield;
11. Lamela's calmness on the ball and the ability to break down and create panic;
12. Carrol's calmness on the ball and his ability to look for the forward pass; and
13. Reasonableness from the crowd. Most people who went today went with the expectation that we would win easily. After 20 minutes and us not scoring, the crowd got antsy and I am sure this had an effect on the team.

These games will happen. It happens to the best of teams. It happens more to teams lacking in experience. We will bounce back and we will be the better for it.

Looked more back to his old self today.

Inventive and driven in possession. Intelligent and effective defensively. Good to see

Looked more back to his old self today.

Inventive and driven in possession. Intelligent and effective defensively. Good to see

Like his last appearance I thought he started a bit poorly. Bad decision for the early shot and a couple of mediocre at best touches. Also seemed to lack the authority he had last season to just take control of a situation.

Improved as he got into the game though and played well. Did his job defensively when we had to gamble more and was useful on the ball.

Bit of trust shown in him today by Pochettino by putting him on when we were desperate for a goal. Hopefully he will get even more trust shown in him for the replay and get his first start in just about forever.

Wondering why he seems to have slipped so far down the order? Not sure if it is just Pochettino bringing him back slowly as a fitness precaution considering how much he relied on him last term. Want to start seeing him contest the likes of Dier and Dembele for the midfield role.

To be honest with the way Dembele, Dier and Alli are playing and how important they are, he is not going to get into the first team straight away. Also other players would have impressed while he was injured so its only fair that he is below them in the pecking order.

Was that just when he and Chadli were unsure who would go for a high ball, Chadli slightly got in his way so Benta's first touch was poor?

Yeah. Thought it was pretty obvious that Bentaleb was facing the right way and Chadli should have gotten out of the way. One of those where I think Bentaleb's authority last season would have seen him just take control of the situation.

Chadli was lost on the field at that stage, he looked tired and shouldn't have been going for it. Bentaleb was right to be tinkled though ranting at a team mate like that probably isn't right. I'd assume born out of frustration at being sat on the bench.

I'd like to see him given time alongside Dier tbh although Carrol has got stronger with each showing.

Wondering why he seems to have slipped so far down the order? Not sure if it is just Pochettino bringing him back slowly as a fitness precaution considering how much he relied on him last term. Want to start seeing him contest the likes of Dier and Dembele for the midfield role.
His form early on this season was very poor, then when he had an opportunity coming on as sub in on of the Europas a while back he totally fluffed it, yielding possession too easily near our own box instead of getting rid early. Some described it as showboating.

I thought he did well today considering he's been out so long, thought there were signs of the 'old' Bentaleb coming back.

Glad Poch brought him on today as it shows that he likes him. The guy is extremely gifted and is determined / driven. With some decent coaching he can be an awesome player and potentially the best of our young players

Chadli was lost on the field at that stage, he looked tired and shouldn't have been going for it. Bentaleb was right to be tinkleed though ranting at a team mate like that probably isn't right. I'd assume born out of frustration at being sat on the bench.

I'd like to see him given time alongside Dier tbh although Carrol has got stronger with each showing.

Agreed

Glad Poch brought him on today as it shows that he likes him. The guy is extremely gifted and is determined / driven. With some decent coaching he can be an awesome player and potentially the best of our young players

One of my favourite players. Glad to see him back out there.. Nothing amazing but he will be glad to be back playing.

I liked how when we won a corner just after he came on, as he dropped back to defend the halfway line he gave Wimmer a slap on the back to hype him up. You would never know he was a 21 year old who has barely got a kick this season.

Performance-wise he still left a lot to be desired, but that is to be expected really, you could tell he was rusty when he came on. Looking forward to having him properly back in the fold.

Seems like the long-term successor to Dembele in midfield.

To be honest with the way Dembele, Dier and Alli are playing and how important they are, he is not going to get into the first team straight away. Also other players would have impressed while he was injured so its only fair that he is below them in the pecking order.

Pretty much how I see it as well.

I have been wondering the same. Has seemed pretty clear that Pochettino rated him last season and this summer. Wouldn't be shocked if there has been some unreported fitness issues... But could be a whole host of reasons and it's difficult to guess/speculate.

Will be interesting to see if Poch gives him a start against Leicester in the replay. Could be a way back into more game time for Bentaleb. Wouldn't be totally shocked to see him start against Leicester on Wednesday either, Carroll has done well, but has also played a lot. Wouldn't be unlike Pochettino to return a player after him doing well as a sub first.

Back