• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham Hotspur Vs Leicester City (FA Cup)***

- We rotate our FB's more than any other position, so not fussed there whatever Poch choses
- Could see one of our CB's getting a rest, so Wimmer +1 of Jan/Toby
- Dier needs a rest, so one of Mason/Bentaleb

I'd be tempted to give Eriksen the day off (think we need to use him less like a workhorse and more like a creative player, but separate conversation)
Son for Kane is the only other option I would look at.

3 maybe 4 changes tops .. winning is a habit, win here, put pressure on Leicester for next game.

Like @billyiddo said it really is a shame N'Jie is injured. That europa league game v monaco was a very good team

--------------------Lloris-----------------------

Trippier---Wimmer---Vertonghen---Rose

----------Bentaleb-----Mason----------------

--Onomah---------Eriksen-----------Chadli-

----------------------Son-----------------------

Bench:
Vorm, Alderweireld, Davies, Dier, Alli, Kane, Lamela

Means Alderweireld, Walker, Davies, Dier, Alli, Dembele (inj), Kane, Lamela all get some rest.

Didn't Poch rotate heavily last year in this fixture?

Vorm

Trips Toby Wimmer Rose

Nabil Mason

Townsend Onomah Chadli

Son​

I would like to see Toby rested but I don't think he will play either CCV or Fazio also I don't think Townsend will play but want to see the whole team rested and he is the only one I can think who can play there naturally.

Re rotation for last season's fixture:

2 players started the cup game and both league games either side:
Rose
Dembele

4 others started the cup game and one of the league games either side:
Fazio
Paulinho
Lamela
Soldado

5 started only in the cup:
Vorm
Chiriches
Kaboul
Capoue
Townsend

5 started in both league games but not the cup:
Lloris
Walker
Vertonghen
Eriksen
Kane

3 started in one of the league games and nothing else:
Dier
Stambouli
Mason

Seems quite clear from that what the priority was.

Last edited:
I'm with the play second string thinking. We looked fudged against Everton towards the end and we're only half way through the season. Plus our second string isn't a massive drop in quality, and I'm pretty confident it'll be enough to win. Think it's almost vital we do actually. The longer we keep playing the same players, the more likely we'll drop in the second half of the season again.

vorm, trippier, wimmer, Jan, rose, bentaleb, mason, onomah, Carroll, Chadli, son

Didn't Poch rotate heavily last year in this fixture?

Vorm

Trips Toby Wimmer Rose

Nabil Mason

Townsend Onomah Chadli

Son​

I would like to see Toby rested but I don't think he will play either CCV or Fazio also I don't think Townsend will play but want to see the whole team rested and he is the only one I can think who can play there naturally.

Don't think we'll see Townsend unless there is an injury crisis

Would we not have been involved in the league cup semi around that time also?

Right you are, it was 5 games in 2 weeks. More or less the same 11 started in both LCSF legs (only 2 changes, as shown):

Vorm
Walker
Dier
Vertonghen
Davies
Stambouli
Mason
Townsend/Dembele
Adebayor/Lamela
Eriksen
Kane

I cant see some of the teams selected on here, there are just too many changes, I think Poch will pick at least 6 regular starters and see how the game goes. We are good enough to win the cup this year if we take it seriously.

But I don't think we're good enough to win this, compete in Europe and maintain a push for top 3 or 4.

Something's gotta give.

Really difficult situation with a back-to-back against Leicester. I think I would, if it were offered, take a point at home in the following fixture if it meant progressing in the FA Cup. Definitely need to rotate slightly but not too much that the balance is unsettled. Vardy being out for them is a plus, hopefully he misses the league fixture as well. I think I would take the opportunity to give Dier a complete rest, he has looked a little leggy recently and maybe the extra 2-3 days might do him good ahead of the league fixture. Looking at the players to swap in and out it has reiterated to me that perhaps we could do with signing a CM as well as a CF this window if we are looking to compete on the 3 fronts going forward.

Lloris

Trippier
Wimmer
Vertonghen
Davies

Bentaleb
Alli

Son
Lamela
Chadli

Kane

Subs: Vorm, Rose, Alderweireld, Carroll, Eriksen, Onomah, Mason

Dier needs an eff-ing break more than anyone bar Kane!!!

To me Dier seems fine playing a lot of games. His role (more holding of the deep central two) isn't one that requires the highest physical work rate. I think he's been fairly consistent.

For me Lamela, Kane, Alli and the full backs seem more important.

Of course Pochettino will have a much better idea of who needs a rest and who is fine. Trust him to make a good decision.

To me Dier seems fine playing a lot of games. His role (more holding of the deep central two) isn't one that requires the highest physical work rate. I think he's been fairly consistent.

For me Lamela, Kane, Alli and the full backs seem more important.

Of course Pochettino will have a much better idea of who needs a rest and who is fine. Trust him to make a good decision.
It's crazy to think that going into the season most of us had Dier down as a central defender meaning our pool of centre backs were Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier, Wimmer and Fazio. We suddenly feel like we're short because we can't rely on Fazio and Dier is now the first choice DM. Wonder if we'd be in the market for another CB. Or perhaps we'd be happy to promote CVC although he's had no first team experience.

It's crazy to think that going into the season most of us had Dier down as a central defender meaning our pool of centre backs were Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier, Wimmer and Fazio. We suddenly feel like we're short because we can't rely on Fazio and Dier is now the first choice DM. Wonder if we'd be in the market for another CB. Or perhaps we'd be happy to promote CVC although he's had no first team experience.

Possibly we would be looking for someone new. Though I still think Verts and Fazio made a decent CB partnership for us last season. Seems like a solid enough time to sell him if Sevilla are willing to pay up.

Carter-Vickers is very young and unproven. And the centre back position seems to be one where Pochettino value experience a bit more.

Let's also not forget that Davies often plays CB for Wales. If he's good enough to be a regular at that position for them, I'm sure he can do a solid enough job for us as a 4th/5th choice. Furthermore, if things really become desperate we can just move Dier back in. Not ideal I know, but with Dembele and/or Bentaleb in DM/CM I'm sure we can manage it for a couple of matches. So far we have barely even needed to use third-choice Wimmer.

Let's also not forget that Davies often plays CB for Wales. If he's good enough to be a regular at that position for them, I'm sure he can do a solid enough job for us as a 4th/5th choice. Furthermore, if things really become desperate we can just move Dier back in. Not ideal I know, but with Dembele and/or Bentaleb in DM/CM I'm sure we can manage it for a couple of matches. So far we have barely even needed to use third-choice Wimmer.

Good points.

It's a bid of a catch-22. Any backup CB we would want to sign to replace Fazio would presumably be better than Fazio. Any such CB would want game time. But game time to him would mean less game to Wimmer. But to develop Wimmer we have to give him game time.

I quite like the idea of players like Davies and Dier being able to do a job in a worst case scenario, but sticking with Wimmer as the primary backup to Alderwerthongen. Unless we can find another Nelsen to be a backup just in case that will be happy to sit on the bench and perhaps pick up some pointers on coaching from Pochettino.

But I don't think we're good enough to win this, compete in Europe and maintain a push for top 3 or 4.

Something's gotta give.

I don't disagree, what I was saying is that we could win the FA Cup this year, our first team is good enough to go anywhere and win. Just 6 games to win and limited amount of good teams in it, top 4 lots of things can go against us and EL has more good teams in it and travelling.

Back