• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

He's finally using that strength on the ball, ability to keep possession, to better effect.

The other thing is with him/Alli/Eriksen, they swap positions, so it's really difficult for opposition players to settle in to marking/controlling space

He has always used his strength like that. A difference at the moment is that be goes forward with the ball

Surprised you said that because a fair proportion of Aldereiweld's long balls in those games were absolutely top notch. Perhaps even more surprisingly Walker produced one or two very classy long balls forward. On top of that - until the second half against Saudi Sportswashing Machine at least - we were also winning the ball back high up the pitch following some of our more wayward balls due to our excellent high-pressing game.

The only time it persistently went wrong for us was second half against Saudi Sportswashing Machine when we were tiring and got pressed back into our own area, when the first priority was to hack it out to clear our lines, but that's a different kettle of fish.

The balls from Alderweireld and co. generally found their targets higher up the field, true (although he was as wayward as everyone else against Saudi Sportswashing Machine): however, what followed was what rendered us virtually under siege in the second half, as three players easily crowded out the man that did receive the ball, forcing turnovers of possession that kept us deep in our half to guard against breakways and thus opened up a gap between the forwards and our midfield.

Teams have latched on to the fact that our long 'out' balls rely on the players involved bringing them down into space and then running into dangerous zones to create options for runners on the outside. In that sense, Dembele's an iconoclast, since our out ball when he's around is to just slip it to him (often deep in midfield), and then relax while he drives it forward thirty yards before being fouled or laying it off.

I thought he was excellent today. His completed take on stats this season are in the top 4 or 5 in the league. But his decision making after the take on is the big deal. He does the right thing most times. Well done Moose and Poch.

@SpursOfficial:
Chants of 'O Mousa Dembele' can be heard loud and clear from the away end. He's been very strong in midfield today. #COYS

@EPLStatman:
Mousa Dembele vs Saints

Passes 52
Completed 93%
Tackles Won 5
Interceptions 3
Take-Ons 3/5

#COYS

CWmrITBWUAAbUnu.jpg:large

The balls from Alderweireld and co. generally found their targets higher up the field, true (although he was as wayward as everyone else against Saudi Sportswashing Machine): however, what followed was what rendered us virtually under siege in the second half, as three players easily crowded out the man that did receive the ball, forcing turnovers of possession that kept us deep in our half to guard against breakways and thus opened up a gap between the forwards and our midfield.

Teams have latched on to the fact that our long 'out' balls rely on the players involved bringing them down into space and then running into dangerous zones to create options for runners on the outside. In that sense, Dembele's an iconoclast, since our out ball when he's around is to just slip it to him (often deep in midfield), and then relax while he drives it forward thirty yards before being fouled or laying it off.

I kept notes during for the first 70-od mins of the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game (got too wound up after that!) so here's an extract of everything I noted relating to Aldereiweld exactly as I hurriedly wrote it:

4.55 - Exc pass Alder
5.43 - Superb long ball down flank Alder - just went o/o play (possession regained from throw-in).
7.51 - Brilliant long ball Alder
11.29 - Brill long ball to Alli by Alder
14.58 - Alder another long diagonal - not quite perfect
37.44 - Another long diag into box for Alli - intercepted and cleared

Second half

47.25 - Alder puts out of play
52.55 - Alder headed wide from Alli's exc cross
71.00 - Exc long ball forward Alder to Son whose exc pass to Eriksen hit first time on target from outside box but saved easily

Hardly think that makes him as 'wayward as everyone else.' His outstanding long diagonals to Alli were mostly on target, not his fault Dele was having such an off-day,

I kept notes during for the first 70-od mins of the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game (got too wound up after that!) so here's an extract of everything I noted relating to Aldereiweld exactly as I hurriedly wrote it:

4.55 - Exc pass Alder
5.43 - Superb long ball down flank Alder - just went o/o play (possession regained from throw-in).

Second half

71.00 - Exc long ball forward Alder to Son whose exc pass to Eriksen hit first time on target from outside box but saved easily

Hardly think that makes him as 'wayward as everyone else.' His outstanding long diagonals to Alli were mostly on target, not his fault Dele was having such an off-day,

Hmm. One of the banes of being a supporter is that you tend to remember games differently based on how they went: in that regard, if you've taken notes, I'm quite happy to retract that assertion about Toby.

4.55 - Exc pass Alder

Second half

Note this ;)
tyfHGvi.png

Have always liked this guy and rated him but had become frustrated with him last season due to him not fulfilling his potential. Now he is the player we all thought we had signed from Fulham and with a few more goals he will be key for us.

Brilliant today, love watching him! Honestly cant understand those who dont rate him
To be fair I think most of those who didn't rate him have changed their mind on him this season. That being said, I watch this guy now and still think he's practically the same player that I have loved watching since he joined when many weren't convinced. It's just some very subtle changes that have turned him into an absolute maestro, therefore aswell as the player himself massive credit must go to Poch for unlocking ALL of this guys potential....

Hope that he's been given a new contract? His signing of a new contract will be one of our best bits of activity this season.

There was a sell/keep debate going on pre season and I wasn't bothered either way. We all know he has the talent, it was the mind set that was in doubt. Now for whatever he plays with the team in mind, where as before I felt his possession was never about the team.
Keep it up mate.

I assume we sat him down and showed him some videos in a dark room (the infamous black box) to show him that he was consistently beating someone but then dallying on the ball wasting the advantage. Great job Paul Mitchell or whoever showed him the error of his ways!

Back