• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

Walker and Davies were both where they should have been to provide the right passing option for the team. Whilst they are not going to be much use on the cover for the counter against us, Dier and Bentaleb are expected to be there to cover for that eventuality.

Walker was very good yesterday.

Amidst the obvious fact that Bentaleb made an awful pass, I think it is incredible that with two further passages of play and opportunities to snuff the danger out, Rooney was left alone and that we had to rely on Walker to try and cover. I think Vorm has got away with one here too. Lloris usually acts fast off his line and essential becomes another defender in rushing out to close off an angle/make attackers think twice about a potential decision. He froze. He was part of the problem too IMO.

I'd agree with you on that Steff, Vorm was glued to the spot whereas Lloris would've been out and forcing Rooney into rushing. The thing is, it was a counter-attack and they can't be easily prepared for, I do think that those saying Vertonghen committed himself are right.

Are you saying that Eric Dier didn't play yesterday?

Dier is a CB playing out of position. Poch hasn't tried to play with a DM bar yesterday (and only because Mason was injured) since he joined really. Stambouli was always out of favour and is now gone.

I'd agree with you on that Steff, Vorm was glued to the spot whereas Lloris would've been out and forcing Rooney into rushing. The thing is, it was a counter-attack and they can't be easily prepared for, I do think that those saying Vertonghen committed himself are right.

And honestly, it wasn't HIS fault either, but as you said, there were many factors...

Looking at those stills I'm just as convinced as before that Walker was too far advanced, he did not need to be so far upfield because play was way over the other side of the pitch. Look at the massive amount of space between him and Rooney when things were starting to go pear-shaped. He should have been watching what was going on around him.

Yes he did brilliantly getting back so fast but had he been just a few yards less advanced he'd have not only got there in time but able to stay in control, instead of having to jab at the ball like he did and inadvertently steer it into our own net.

It ****ing drives me crazy the number of times this sort of thing happens to us. Our wing-backs are always getting too far upfield then discovering they're too far away from our own area to do anything about it when the opposition unexpectedly gain possession midfield and spring an attack.

It's a question of judgement and common sense when and how far to get upfield when the ball is still in your own half, especially given the number of times things go wrong.

As I said before, a similar thing happened in the friendly only a few days earlier against RM when Bentaleb misplaced a pass in front the box as we were building from the back only for Bale to seize on the mistake and gleefully plant the ball in the back of the net. Not saying any blame attaches to Walker on that occasion, more that it should have been a warning not to get too far upfield too soon in case things go wrong as we bring the ball forward out of defence.

No wonder we concede so many soft goals, especially to top teams that have sussed our style of play and find it such a doddle to exploit the wide open spaces we leave at the back.

As I've said before he had an excellent game yesterday but as one of the back four so distant from the rest he was not entirely blameless for the goal.
I couldn't disagree more.... At the point where Walker is pushing up we were comfortably in control of possession, the idea here is to create numerical advantages against the opposition and exploit any initial lack of organisation that the opposition might have. Walker's position is absolutely perfect here, ready to expose the complete lack of cover that Man Utd have over that side of the pitch. The goal was caused by a badly misplaced pass, the type of pass that Bentaleb will misplace maybe only two or three times per season.

I couldn't disagree more.... At the point where Walker is pushing up we were comfortably in control of possession, the idea here is to create numerical advantages against the opposition and exploit any initial lack of organisation that the opposition might have. Walker's position is absolutely perfect here, ready to expose the complete lack of cover that Man Utd have over that side of the pitch. The goal was caused by a badly misplaced pass, the type of pass that Bentaleb will misplace maybe only two or three times per season.

Except he did it at least five times in just this game.

Stop looking for it and seeing something which is not there?

It was there on Saturday though as it was his pass they scored from?

He is much improved i give him that, he is also capable of extreme brain farts. However, aren't a lot of players?

I looked at eriksen (who was pretty awful first half) who made a run, stopped when walker passed it and was completely on his heels/thought it was for someone else.

Wasn't a great pass but Eriksen madeit look terrible and we should look at his role in the goal more than walker

It was there on Saturday though as it was his pass they scored from?

He is much improved i give him that, he is also capable of extreme brain farts. However, aren't a lot of players?

For me that was more down to Eriksen watching the ball go pass him rather then moving onto it. As I say there are some fans who miss the obvious and blame the latest boo boy.

Walker has improved a lot since the start of the season. Yeah, his passing is from time to time a bit sloppy, but I thought he was one of our best on Saturday - even with the bad pass that led to the City goal.

Completely over the top criticism or one of our most long serving and good players. With Walker we have a considerable threat to almost every left back in the league. He can burn them all for pace and he's not afraid to venture forward. I'm happy when he starts.

Making an incomplete pass on the edge of the oppositions box is not a brain fart. It happens. They broke ridiculously well with Yaya and they got a goal from an offside position and maybe, maybe Lloris could have done better with it.

Back