• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

The mirror reckon we offered 25m straight cash....

not sure this is believable but it is conceivable that Peace told Saido that if a certain fee came from us then he would sanction it.

It might explain his tweet in any case.

Did Peace go off on an ego trip?
As more details are emerging, that does seem to be the case. According to the BBC:

"Some at West Brom encouraged chairman Jeremy Peace to find an agreement with Spurs counterpart Daniel Levy, even within the final hour of the window, but Peace refused.

"It is also understood that at no point in this saga did Peace give Tottenham a price that might secure the player, hence the prolonged chase and multiple bids.

"There is serious concern at West Brom about the effect this will have dressing room morale, with Berahino not in a state of mind to play and not one of the more popular figures among team-mates."

(source)
If that's true (big "if") then I hope it ends all this talk of "Levy should have just met the asking price!" If West Brom refused to give us an "asking price", but kept sending signals that he was for sale (I know Peace never did, but statements from Pulis clearly suggested "every player has his price") then how can people get annoyed with Spurs for not meeting that price?

I think WBA could still regret the affair more than we do, they still "lost" the player, and his value will decrease daily from here on in.

As more details are emerging, that does seem to be the case. According to the BBC:

"Some at West Brom encouraged chairman Jeremy Peace to find an agreement with Spurs counterpart Daniel Levy, even within the final hour of the window, but Peace refused.

"It is also understood that at no point in this saga did Peace give Tottenham a price that might secure the player, hence the prolonged chase and multiple bids.

"There is serious concern at West Brom about the effect this will have dressing room morale, with Berahino not in a state of mind to play and not one of the more popular figures among team-mates."

(source)
If that's true (big "if") then I hope it ends all this talk of "Levy should have just met the asking price!" If West Brom refused to give us an "asking price", but kept sending signals that he was for sale (I know Peace never did, but statements from Pulis clearly suggested "every player has his price") then how can people get annoyed with Spurs for not meeting that price?

We were obviously getting the come on from somewhere, I don't know the make up of the board but I wonder if there was a rift in opinion around the west brom table.

There's news going around that Pulis is apparently furious at Peace's refusal to sell Berahino - wanted the funds to do some wheeler dealer business yesterday and didn't want to deal with an unhappy Saido come the end of the window. That suggests (if true) that it was Pulis who encouraged Berahino and his agent to put feelers out for his possible transfer.

There's news going around that Pulis is apparently furious at Peace's refusal to sell Berahino - wanted the funds to do some wheeler dealer business yesterday and didn't want to deal with an unhappy Saido come the end of the window. That suggests (if true) that it was Pulis who encouraged Berahino and his agent to put feelers out for his possible transfer.
Yikes. The more info that gets leaked, the more apparent it's becoming that maybe this had far less to do with "typical Levy behaviour" than it had with "bizarre Peace behaviour".

And look, I tend to give Levy a lot more slack than some; but I'm more than happy to call him out on his mistakes (the treatment of Jol, the Berbatov / Frazier Campbell farago - which clearly was a screw up on our part, and so on). But it honestly doesn't look like he was the villain of this particular piece.

Yikes. The more info that gets leaked, the more apparent it's becoming that maybe this had far less to do with "typical Levy behaviour" than it had with "bizarre Peace behaviour".

And look, I tend to give Levy a lot more slack than some; but I'm more than happy to call him out on his mistakes (the treatment of Jol, the Berbatov / Frazier Campbell farago - which clearly was a screw up on our part, and so on). But it honestly doesn't look like he was the villain of this particular piece.

Yeah, this particular failed transfer seems a bit weird to me as well. Stambo for Schneiderlin is one I'll happily blame Levy for all day long, but this one is a bit murkier. Hmmm......

Yeah, this particular failed transfer seems a bit weird to me as well. Stambo for Schneiderlin is one I'll happily blame Levy for all day long, but this one is a bit murkier. Hmmm......

Still shouldn't of lowballed though and got Peace's back up IMO which is IMO what has happened with Schneiderlin and others.. a long list of others.

Still shouldn't of lowballed though and got Peace's back up IMO which is IMO what has happened with Schneiderlin and others.. a long list of others.

Oh, definitely. I agree with you, I think it's what screwed up the Schneiderlin deal and quite a few others. However....I wonder if Peace actually knew anything about the feelers being put out by those under him about Berahino's transfer. His reaction seems a bit more logical if you consider the possibility that it was Berahino himself who was pushing the transfer, but Pulis was actually the one offering support and assurances about his inevitable sale.

Hmm. Either way, this failed transfer's more than a bit weird.

I do wonder what Levy thinks when he gets an offer... say Chelsea's first bid for Modric.. was he fudging furious or was he like.. I'm going to enjoy this.

Won't see berahino in a spurs shirt now I'm afraid he will go to a bigger club
What is going to happen between now and January that makes you think this? I can't see which one of the big 4 would really need him to be honest...

What is going to happen between now and January that makes you think this? I can't see which one of the big 4 would really need him to be honest...

They don't really sign players based on what's needed. Arsenal actually need a striker, so we can rule them out, but I can see United offering big bucks when Rooney still hasn't regained any form. Chelsea might sign him just for the laughs.

Back