• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I've seen them accurately tell accountants and HR bods in a large UK corporate with decades of experience who was cheating their expenses without meeting a single one of them. I've seen them accurately tell bank execs with decades of experience which traders would push their risk profiles too high over the next 18-24 months. I've seen them accurately tell a blue chip (and be ignored) which forms of market growth in which regions would fail and why.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

That's OK, it's nothing new.

Back when I worked as an IT consultant I did a lot of data extraction for a stat team working freelance when modern analytics were taking off.

I've seen them accurately tell accountants and HR bods in a large UK corporate with decades of experience who was cheating their expenses without meeting a single one of them. I've seen them accurately tell bank execs with decades of experience which traders would push their risk profiles too high over the next 18-24 months. I've seen them accurately tell a blue chip (and be ignored) which forms of market growth in which regions would fail and why. The list goes on and on.

Do you know the one thing all of those teams of people sitting across their desks from us had in common? Each one, without fail, was convinced that their years of experience couldn't possibly be matched or bettered by a team of intelligent kids and a pile of data. That their finely tuned methods and habits couldn't be improved by amateurs and that there was simply no possibility of step change improvement.

The other thing they had in common is that they were all wrong.

I have no doubt you are very good at your job ( you do seem to have a high opinion of yourself :p), and I would not try and pretend I know better, however seems like you think you can educate those in other fields though and that would be fun to see you try and would be worth taking you along and see.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

But have you ever seen a crocodile smile?

But have you ever seen a crocodile smile?
article-1330666-0C1EE28F000005DC-821_634x286.jpg
AlligatorInvasion8-1-06013.jpg
crocodile_teeth.jpg

We're not discussing football coaching, we're discussing statistics. Unless you can come up with some convincing logic as to why stats don't apply the same way as they do you everything else, then a working knowledge of football management (especially one from the dark ages) need not be required.

Easy. Shot bounces off Ade's arse, ricochets to Kane, who buries it into the net. An assist apparently. Someone has to collect the data, therefore that data is not objective.

Easy. Shot bounces off Ade's arse, ricochets to Kane, who buries it into the net. An assist apparently. Someone has to collect the data, therefore that data is not objective.

But that's negated if it is registered as a non-intended assist is it not? That's what Scara is talking about when he says that more data is being collected.

Really glad Pochettino blocked Lamela from being sold. As said, Lamela was our most creative player last season with 8 assists in all competitions. I am convinced he can be a very usefull player if given the chance this season.

Really glad Pochettino blocked Lamela from being sold. As said, Lamela was our most creative player last season with 8 assists in all competitions. I am convinced he can be a very usefull player if given the chance this season.

Groan ... don't know where to begin .. between your undying optimism or what more does the club have to do before we recognize he's been given far more chance than a lot of others ...

That's why pre-2009 data was so bad, we didn't collect much at all.

Now we have enough data that the odd misreported event (and that will always happen) will have little significance. You can't use a single data point to prove or disprove the validity of a data set. That's one of the things laymen always find so hard to grasp about stats - they work on an aggregated, overall basis. That's how you eliminate the effect of randomness and chaos that exists in everything.

When there isn't enough data, no statistician that I've ever met would make a decision on a figure that can be changed by the movement of one data point.

Last edited:

Eriksen was but nevertheless.

What did you make of Lamela's performances against Stoke and Leicester?

Eriksen was but nevertheless.

What did you make of Lamela's performances against Stoke and Leicester?

He was very poor so far this season. That could be due to the fact he joined late for the pre-season training. But he did prove his worth last season.

Last edited:
He was very poor so far this season. That could be due to the fact he joined late for the pre-season training. But remember he created the goal for Carrol against AC Milan in the pre-season. It was an inch-perfect pass to Carrol despite having 4 Milan players in front of him. It was a world class pass which not many Spurs players capable of executing it perfectly like that !

that assist was trippiers..

Groan ... don't know where to begin .. between your undying optimism or what more does the club have to do before we recognize he's been given far more chance than a lot of others ...

We don't have many choice now, do we ? We can't buy any better players and our home-grown youngsters are not good enough as well. And both Njie and Son still need to prove their worth.

Back