• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2015/16 Europa League - Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, if the past is any indicator, we'll be sending most of the first team, even if qualification is already in the bag.o_O

Indeed Remember AVB sending the entire squad to the Arctic Circle to play Tromso after we had already qualified with 4 wins out of 4 in between games against City and United! And people were defending him to the hilt.

So, we will have Monaco, Anderlecht and Qarabag in our group. I think maybe we will do better against Monaco but struggle against other teams. We always tend to play much better against strong teams but play shyte against shyte teams.

Question for anyone that regularly goes to any away european games, or has done recently.

Do they print your name on the ticket to cross reference with ID at the game? I'm sure i've read that being the case at some games before. Was going to apply for 3 tickets using the 3 season tickets my family have, but its my mates who want to use 2 to come to Brussels. Just wondering if it would be an issue or not before we look at booking train/hotel? Thanks!

Only time i have ever seen them check ID was at Fiorentina last season and that was because there was added security concerns as Feyenoord had gone on the ramapge in Rome the day before - they always warn about it but in my experience they don't really give a fudge abroad

Only time i have ever seen them check ID was at Fiorentina last season and that was because there was added security concerns as Feyenoord had gone on the ramapge in Rome the day before - they always warn about it but in my experience they don't really give a fudge abroad

Check ID? The pat down was more like sexual assault.

Well from my experience there should be no problems, they are several of us who travel to these games and one or two of them swap tickets with mates who use them, never been checked and we have been at most of those games over the years.

This. Didn't know about the check and didn't have my passport. Argued the toss for 20 minutes and they let me in, luckily.
But to the original question, you should be fine. You don't even get seat numbers, it's usually sit where you like. The check at Fiorentina was a passport check, not a 'is this ticket in your name check'. Also bought tickets for some of our group off Twitter for Fiorentina and Benfica with no problems/checks.

Indeed Remember AVB sending the entire squad to the Arctic Circle to play Tromso after we had already qualified with 4 wins out of 4 in between games against City and United! And people were defending him to the hilt.

Of course they did, he can do no wrong with some Spurs fans.

Last season Qarabag beat FC Twente in the EL play-off and finished 3rd with 6 points in a EL group containing Inter, Dnipro and St-Étienne. This season they were narrowly eliminated from CL qualifying by Celtic (1-0 aggregate) before beating Young Boys home and away in the EL play-off.

I hope that we don't need to send any first choice players to Azerbaijan, but we shouldn't assume that any team we send just have to turn up to win.

On paper the Europa is really good way for us to get into the Champion's League.
However none of our players seem to want to play in this competition.
Pochettino fails time and again with half arsed rotation in the Europa failing to motivate players to turn up and play in this like they do in the League.
We have no chance again this year and should just abandon this.
But there will be the usual 7 or 8 full team players playing against Anderlecht 3 days before Arsenal. And the entire first team will end up flying out to Azerbaijan and arrive back two days before Chelsea.
All to inevitably get knocked out at the 2nd round with another half arsed performance.

On paper the Europa is really good way for us to get into the Champion's League.
However none of our players seem to want to play in this competition.
Pochettino fails time and again with half arsed rotation in the Europa failing to motivate players to turn up and play in this like they do in the League.
We have no chance again this year and should just abandon this.
But there will be the usual 7 or 8 full team players playing against Anderlecht 3 days before Ar5ena1. And the entire first team will end up flying out to Azerbaijan and arrive back two days before Chel53a.
All to inevitably get knocked out at the 2nd round with another half arsed performance.

So what you say is we should go for 8th in the League to not play in the Europa League?
I'm not in your camp at all.
I'm not specially happy about the performance either, but to be fair we created enough to get a win.
I think we started brightly, and could have been two up early. Instead we let a weak goal in, and from that moment it was a more even contest, but we still created enough to get three points IMO.
We need to learn to play twice a week, and the players needs to learn to perform twice a week. We cant even think about being in the CL if we cant handle EL.
A to write us off after one defeat in the group stage is a bit over the top for me.
I'm not saying we are going to win the EL, but we both need the experience and it's a lot of money as well. And I actually like seeing Spurs playing midweek.

Players have no problem playing 2 games a week. Look at Vertonghen and Alderweireld.
They have no problem doing it for Belgium.
They had no problem playing two games in a week for Ajax
But they don't want to play in this competition. They go into it half arsed.
Lloris kept us in the game at the end.
If Poch cant motivate them to compete in this competition he should be giving a chance to the young players.

The reality is we are 16/1 to get CL from the Europa League.
Whereas all of a sudden because of the mess at Chelsea and Liverpool we are 4/1 to get it from the league.

So what you say is we should go for 8th in the League to not play in the Europa League?
I'm not in your camp at all.
I'm not specially happy about the performance either, but to be fair we created enough to get a win.
I think we started brightly, and could have been two up early. Instead we let a weak goal in, and from that moment it was a more even contest, but we still created enough to get three points IMO.
We need to learn to play twice a week, and the players needs to learn to perform twice a week. We cant even think about being in the CL if we cant handle EL.
A to write us off after one defeat in the group stage is a bit over the top for me.
I'm not saying we are going to win the EL, but we both need the experience and it's a lot of money as well. And I actually like seeing Spurs playing midweek.

Good post.

Players have no problem playing 2 games a week. Look at Vertonghen and Alderweireld.
They have no problem doing it for Belgium.
They had no problem playing two games in a week for Ajax
But they don't want to play in this competition. They go into it half arsed.
Lloris kept us in the game at the end.
If Poch cant motivate them to compete in this competition he should be giving a chance to the young players.

The reality is we are 16/1 to get CL from the Europa League.
Whereas all of a sudden because of the mess at Chel53a and Liverpool we are 4/1 to get it from the league.
Hmmmm - I'm not sure about Lloris keeping us in the game. I think you could just as easily make the same claim about their keeper keeping them in the game. I thought that overall of the two teams we fashioned the better chances. We just defended set pieces very, very badly. I'm not sure which player/players were the most culpable for that.

I thought we seemed reasonably well motivated last night. We came out and were all over them for the first 10 minutes and should've been out of sight only to concede a poor goal from a corner. I thought the game was then reasonably even with us seeming to be going all out for the three points, leaving ourselves open to counter attacks instead of being more sensible and taking what had after an hour and letting the home side commit the men forward to try to win the game. I blame the manager more than the players for this. He sets the tactics and I think he went a little too bold last night considering the circumstances. That being said Audere est Facere and all that!

It really doesn't matter if we finish 1st or 2nd looking at who the likely top seeds are.

If we finish 2nd in the group we will likely face (english teams removed):
Dynamo Kyiv
Valencia
Molde
Krasnodar
Napoli
Villareal
Braga
Lazio
Besiktas
Basel
Schalke
Bilbao

If we finished 1st in the group we will likely face:
Shaktar
Galatasaray
Borussia Monchengladbach
Leverkusen
Fenerbahce/Ajax
Sion
Borussia Dortmund
Midtylland
Radid Wien
Marseille
St Etienne
Lokomotiv Moscow
Fiorentina
Sparta Prague
Partizan

The bottom seeded group is arguably stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back