• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Do you mean at home or both?

Because there's been a few times since that painful match, of which I attended and will live long in the memory for all the wrong reasons, where we've even lost after a 2-0 lead.

Do you mean at home or both?

Because there's been a few times since that painful match, of which I attended and will live long in the memory for all the wrong reasons, where we've even lost after a 2-0 lead.
Just at WHL... thankfully I've yet to be at a match where we've thrown away anything more than a 1 goal lead but watching them on TV has been painful enough and I'm still traumatised by the memories of the dark ages when we capitulated like that on an all too regular basis.

http://5addedminutes.com/2012/04/03/the-not-so-dangerous-2-0-lead/
Over the course of the Premier League, a mere 1.8% of 2-0 leads have been squandered into defeats, whilst 93% have been converted into wins. It’s fairly safe going, with an even bigger advantage for teams leading at home.

Spurs hold a strange record of more losses than draws from 2-0 leads. Of the eleven times they have not held on, eight have ended in defeats, most recently against Arsenal at the Emirates, and most notably against Manchester United (twice, in 2001 and 2009).

Last edited:
Since when has losing a two goal lead been a collapse?! Don't get me wrong it's not great, but teams come back from two goals down all the time - I think a bit too much is being made of this....

Since when has losing a two goal lead been a collapse?! Don't get me wrong it's not great, but teams come back from two goals down all the time - I think a bit too much is being made of this....
I guess it's come as a bit of a shock, as this hasn't occurred at WHL for over a decade... and apparently, since the formation of the PL, less than 1% of teams heading into the final 30 minutes of a game whilst 2+ goals down have managed to snatch a point...

I guess it's come as a bit of a shock, as this hasn't occurred at WHL for over a decade... and apparently, since the formation of the PL, less than 1% of teams heading into the final 30 minutes of a game whilst 2+ goals down have managed to snatch a point...

Yeah it's not that we lost a 2 goal lead that's got to people so much, it's losing a 2 goal lead in the last 20 minutes of a game that's got to people so badly. The performance of the team wasn't actually bad and in many ways was excellent which is adding to.the frustration.

Yeah it's not that we lost a 2 goal lead that's got to people so much, it's losing a 2 goal lead in the last 20 minutes of a game that's got to people so badly. The performance of the team wasn't actually bad and in many ways was excellent which is adding to.the frustration.

Just before the collapse i was thinking what an encouraging performance it had been - obviously the way it turned out can not be ignored, and nor should it...but a lot of the problems we had last season looked to had been addressed for much of the game and that shouldn't be forgotten, imv

Just before the collapse i was thinking what an encouraging performance it had been - obviously the way it turned out can not be ignored, and nor should it...but a lot of the problems we had last season looked to had been addressed for much of the game and that shouldn't be forgotten, imv

Agreed. Which was why it was so hard to take. I can't remember being this gutted after a game for a long time (not even after the defeat at Wembley last season).

the thing is i overheard many spurs fans dating before the game that if at any point the game was 2-1 we would throw it away ... i think poch is a good coach and ib like his style. Lets not overreact here but he made some poor decisions with his subs and failing to react to stokes overload in playing style.

Unfortunately he replaced our two best players with players and a system which would mean us setting up camp for the second half. Hopefully he learns.

I suppose, I still wouldn't consider it a 'collapse' but maybe that's just me....

the thing is i overheard many spurs fans dating before the game that if at any point the game was 2-1 we would throw it away ... i think poch is a good coach and ib like his style. Lets not overreact here but he made some poor decisions with his subs and failing to react to stokes overload in playing style.

Unfortunately he replaced our two best players with players and a system which would mean us setting up camp for the second half. Hopefully he learns.
Learns what though? It's not like if he had the choice he would take Kane off. But if he was tired or injured you have to take him off and consider the bigger picture, it's not Pochs fault he hasn't got the back up he wants yet....

See my post in the match thread, don't think he had a choice with the subs. The correct response to Stoke's overload in attack was to introduce a player in midfield to retain possession and an outlet upfront to hit them on the break by running at them with the ball, or by receiving direct balls over the top. This would push Stoke back a bit and make them think better about committing numbers forward. Would also mean we were likely to add to our lead.

Normally, when you have pace and directness in your attack, the advantage of being 2-0 up becomes greater, as you are able to exploit growing spaces in behind the opposition as they push forwards to try and save the game. At the moment, we don't have the players for that option. The best Poch could do was introduce Lamela as the only player available to him that can run with the ball at the opposition. Bentaleb was introduced as when he's not having the mare he is at the moment, he can normally be relied on to slow the pace of the game down effectively and calm things down in midfield.

I don't actually believe Poch made the incorrect calls, its that the resources with which to effectively carry out those calls were lacking. In Bentaleb's case due to lack of form and in Lamela's case trying to use him as the out-ball when he doesn't have the pace or style required to fully pull this off.

I still remember us coming back from 2-0 down at the Valley to win 3-2. Keane hat trick I do believe, great day out.

i remember this

_40863700_bent.jpg

d!ck

Agreed.

Up until around the hour mark we looked comfortable and could easily have gone 3-0 up but then Stoke brought on Ireland plus Joselu whilst we had to take off Kane plus Mason... Hopefully Poch will have a stronger bench to call upon next time we face this lot...

2aahdn8.jpg

I agree with billy. I too was thinking "finally we're taking care of teams we're supposed to" and doing so comfortably. I know in hindsight it's easy to say, but I was hoping during the match that he would bring in Trippier in place of Walker, who was on a yellow. And I would have hoped for Alli in place of Mason. Perfect opportunity to bring the lad in with us 2-0 up at home. Lamela for Kane is probably the only substitution where there was no other option.

I agree. We definitely need a striker but almost as important we also need to work on our defending which is naive to say the least at times. Soft penalty, but worse for me when you are trying to close a game we cannot allow crosses into the box. You need double up if necessary on the crosser. We allowed them to pull us apart on that side. Either Lamela or dier should be giving walker support. But it is still early and we didn't lose.

Back