• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR V manchester united***

that was a turgid, terrible game of association football, you can blame the manchester humidity and it being the first game, I'm one of those more negative fans and its hard not to be with this team. What other team goes into half time a goal down and the other team hasn't had a shot on target. So tottenham.

the key for Bentaleb is to step it up now and react to the mistake - supposedly he has huge faith in his own ability, well the making will be if he can back it up when things are not good.

he didn't really have much competition last season, this season he will - so hopefully that non starter guarantee will help to push him.
but he is still only 20/21, so mistakes will be happen and have to be accepted.

I can actually see us playing with a pacy goalscorer (N'jie/Berahino links) instead of Chadli.

As someone else said, Kane dropped deep and he and Eriksen just knocked the ball around the UTD players only for the ball to move out wide to a full back with no-one to aim at. In these cases a second forward/goalscorer would be great as they would move ahead of Kane and pick up some good positions. Chadli did do this at times today and he did make some good supporting runs that weren't spotted, but one of those players mentionned would offer something different.

Benteke...oh wait!

^ The serious point about today's game is not that we failed to beat United at OT but that we still don't look capable of beating lesser teams at home. Our firepower and chance creation just aren't nearly enough imo. This must be rectified before the end of the window if we are to have a half enjoyable season.

^ The serious point about today's game is not that we failed to beat United at OT but that we still don't look capable of beating lesser teams at home. Our firepower and chance creation just aren't nearly enough imo. This must be rectified before the end of the window if we are to have a half enjoyable season.

In what way are those things connected?

United did not sit back, they pressured our short passes and had one of the best in England (Carrick) protecting the route through midfield.

All things considered, I think we did reasonable well. I am though a little disappointed that we let utd fizzle out the game for about 1 hour after the goal. We really stepped it up a few notches in the last 10-15 minutes. Just wish we could have managed that level for a longer period of time. Bentaleb was unfortunately not up to it today, but he will come back stronger. Dier did ok. He did what he was supposed to do, but we really need someone else there. His technique is simply not quick enough to play in midfield, so he becomes a little limited. But his positioning and break-up play can't be questioned. Think we deserved a point. Unlucky for Walker. He was good the rest of the game, and had Young in his pocket. We will come back stronger. COYS!

Sorry I don't quite follow how a game against Man United away proved anything about how we would play against lesser teams at home?

ruddy nora, 1 game in and im praying for no more defeats already.

I get people are frustrated and angry, what I would say is lets be patient, let poch build HIS team and address some of the issues we have at the moment.

Lets judge this team after about 10 games and when we have got some signings in. Got the chance to put things right next week. COYS

ruddy nora, 1 game in and im praying for no more defeats already.

I get people are frustrated and angry, what I would say is lets be patient, let poch build HIS team and address some of the issues we have at the moment.

Lets judge this team after about 10 games and when we have got some signings in. Got the chance to put things right next week. COYS

The thing is, the same excuses will be rattled out after 10 games, 20 games, 30 games and 38 games (if Poch makes it that far). Its not just Poch's fault of course, its the total ineptitude of the club from top to bottom at the moment. We are'nt even standing still...............we are going backwards. People can of course be as positive as they like and I would love to be proved wrong, but it wont change what is painfully obvious to the unbiased eye. Maybe the coming weeks will open their eyes, because the chances are that things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

The thing is, the same excuses will be rattled out after 10 games, 20 games, 30 games and 38 games (if Poch makes it that far). Its not just Poch's fault of course, its the total ineptitude of the club from top to bottom at the moment. We are'nt even standing still...............we are going backwards. People can of course be as positive as they like and I would love to be proved wrong, but it wont change what is painfully obvious to the unbiased eye. Maybe the coming weeks will open their eyes, because the chances are that things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

How have we gone backwards since last season?

In what way are those things connected?

United did not sit back, they pressured our short passes and had one of the best in England (Carrick) protecting the route through midfield.

Let's wait and see shall we. Time will tell. Our creativity is woefully lacking imo.

I thought Utd were ar5sehole lucky to win that game and I'm glad we didn't get LvG as boss.

Bentaleb needs to address this habit he's got of making easy passes in a stupid way. It's not good him playing ok and then gifting the opposition an attack on our goal, he's done this quite a few times before. I trust the coaches to help him sort this.

We were the better side today imo. We just needed to take a chance in that opening period and we'd have won I think. Very unlucky to not get a point.

Utd will probably finish top 4 but they will get nowhere near the title imo.

This.

@FourFourTwo: FT #MUFC 1-0 #COYS Home side had one shot on target http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2015/matches/803169?appShare=1
CL4__-FWUAEQSqi.jpg:large

@MC_of_A: xG map for United-Tottenham. Spurs played the Red Devils even on the road, didn't convert their big chance.
CL5Ay1aWgAAmQRm.png:large

The thing is I think I understand where many fans like yourself are coming from.

Please excuse me if I am wrong but I get the impression that you really dont like losing, you know what, I am not saying that this is a bad thing...I am not very good at losing either, in fact losing should hurt, I want our players to be hurting badly...Eriksen for missing a chance 9 times out of 10 he would bury with his eyes closed, Bentaleb for his mistake that changed the momentum of the game.

To address your points regarding 'same old excuses' 'ineptitude of the club from top to bottom'

I don't think its excuses, i think people just have different perspective, and a different way of handling defeat, I like to see everyone's point of view and I don't want anyone to be censored, but the point I would make is its critical that we dont lose our s**t over a 1-0 defeat away to Man Utd, particularly as we 100% were the better side in large portions of the game, even though it can be hard to see through the foggy pain of defeat there were plenty of positives to be taken away from yesterday, and yes there were negatives as well, no pace, no experience, nous in midfield, not enough support for Kane, not always a link between midfield & attack....I think we all see this even the posters who are at each others throats tend to agree on what we need.

Yes our club can be inept but I am still hopelessly in love with it! we did not have the ideal preparation going into this game because we put ££££ in front of football, with the pre-season tournament. We also have Ade, who is disrupting our plans as usual by not giving a damn about playing football and being happy to accept £££££ for doing nothing.

You think we are going backwards....

From the outside, stadium... facilities, to me it looks like we are forward thinking and giving ourselves a chance for success in the future. We have cut our cloth accordingly, by all means if we dont address the above squad issues come September I will be just as livid as you are.....but first off it looks like our defensive signings will improve us and make us more solid, this I see as improvement and not going backwards.

Shaney, I 100% get that spurs can question your faith, I know more than anyone....if were crappo then I will say were crappo, we clearly have squad issues to address before the window closes so lets see what the club does. At the moment I think we are close to being a decent team but remember we have to accept, like it or not that money talks and we are not in the league of elite clubs who can pay big wages.

I get the feeling that Man Utd are just chucking money at their own problems.....top to the bottom of the club......I believe that we are being a bit smarter and more prudent in terms of our problems...I hope.....

sorry for the waffle.

Let's wait and see shall we. Time will tell. Our creativity is woefully lacking imo.

Good morning Pirate.

In my opinion we should have had 2 goals in that opening 20 minutes, a fully match sharp Eriksen buries that golden chance set up by Kane, a tuned in Kane squares the ball to an unmarked Chadli for a simple tap in.

I understand your concerns but this was Manchester United away and basically you and me are piddled off about defeat, but I dont agree our creativity was lacking yesterday...more our cutting edge went out of the window.

The way I see it with an absence of blistering pace up front means we have to out-football teams to create chances....this we did at times vs Utd away. the lack of pace means that if we cant out-football teams then we wont score, hence why some of the balls over the top came to nothing.

Yesterday I missed A Lennon...I really did.

Well another journey over to O/T and another poor result ( seems I have seen a lot of them there over the years) but you know what? we really were unlucky to lose this one.

We matched Utd in all parts of the game ( and played better in areas), their goalkeeper was a lot busier then ours and pulled off at least one very good save. I had a couple of slurps with some Utd fans after the game and they said the same thing and thought we should have had a point at least.

Some encouraging signs from the game as well, Toby was immense and despite what some may feel his partnership with Jan ( who according to some can not be a good player because his body langague is all wrong) looks as if it will become a very good one. Dier ( considering it was only his first important game as our defensive shield) did well and I hope Poch sticks with him ( until we upgrade that position). Our back four rarely looked troubled and Walker looked a lot better then he did towards the end of last season( hopefully the reat has helped with his recovery from his injury).

And then I came on here and some of the posts made me think I was reading about a different game, the same old doom mongers, moaning minnes, chicken lickens etc, we even have posts from those who have had nothing to say all summer but are back churning out the same moans and groans that they trotted out last season. The same old mantra, he's brick, he's crap, Walker is back with his brain farts if he had not tried to beat Rooney to the ball they would have bitched that he was out of position and stood and watched while Rooney scored. I do wonder if some of these FANS get more enjoyment out of bitching then they do when we win.

Then we have them that trot out the same broken record about how out club never buy good players and that Levy will not spend the money that they would ( its always easy spending someone elses money. I accept that it is a game of opinions but it seems to me that some have not even watched the game before they start to moan, Utd is a poor ground for us and it always has been ( I have lost count of the trips I have returned from there with 0 points) but I say again we were unlucky yesterday and even the Utd fans I spoke to admitted that. I really wonder why some FANS seem to take so much satisfaction out of our loses.

Rant over.

Well another journey over to O/T and another poor result ( seems I have seen a lot of them there over the years) but you know what? we really were unlucky to lose this one.

We matched Utd in all parts of the game ( and played better in areas), their goalkeeper was a lot busier then ours and pulled off at least one very good save. I had a couple of slurps with some Utd fans after the game and they said the same thing and thought we should have had a point at least.

Some encouraging signs from the game as well, Toby was immense and despite what some may feel his partnership with Jan ( who according to some can not be a good player because his body langague is all wrong) looks as if it will become a very good one. Dier ( considering it was only his first important game as our defensive shield) did well and I hope Poch sticks with him ( until we upgrade that position). Our back four rarely looked troubled and Walker looked a lot better then he did towards the end of last season( hopefully the reat has helped with his recovery from his injury).

And then I came on here and some of the posts made me think I was reading about a different game, the same old doom mongers, moaning minnes, chicken lickens etc, we even have posts from those who have had nothing to say all summer but are back churning out the same moans and groans that they trotted out last season. The same old mantra, he's ****, he's crap, Walker is back with his brain farts if he had not tried to beat Rooney to the ball they would have bitched that he was out of position and stood and watched while Rooney scored. I do wonder if some of these FANS get more enjoyment out of bitching then they do when we win.

Then we have them that trot out the same broken record about how out club never buy good players and that Levy will not spend the money that they would ( its always easy spending someone elses money. I accept that it is a game of opinions but it seems to me that some have not even watched the game before they start to moan, Utd is a poor ground for us and it always has been ( I have lost count of the trips I have returned from there with 0 points) but I say again we were unlucky yesterday and even the Utd fans I spoke to admitted that. I really wonder why some FANS seem to take so much satisfaction out of our loses.

Rant over.

yeah yeah, same old people criticizing fellow fans for differing opinions, so much moaning, its becoming really tedious now ;)

vent-planning-intern-bored.gif

anyway, im glad you had a nice day out and saw plenty of positives.

yeah yeah, same old people criticizing fellow fans for differing opinions, so much moaning, its becoming really tedious now ;)

vent-planning-intern-bored.gif

anyway, im glad you had a nice day out and saw plenty of positives.

Thank you and I always have a good day when going to watch Spurs, there is nothing wrong with moaning, bitching about really poor performances, however if they come from the same miserable sods and after a game we deserved to get at least a draw ( and as I say even the Utd supporters I meet said that) then it points in the direction I mentioned in my post. Some must be really sad in their real lives to do nothing but bitch ;)

Very annoyed with this defeat ! This was a game we should have get atleast a draw from but we failed to make use of that. Hard to accept we lost to a poor ManU team due to yet another blunder by Bentaleb ! Guess who made the blunder for ManU's 3rd goal against us last season : Bentaleb ! And both times Bentaleb passed direct to a ManU player. Remember Bentaleb also passed direct to a Real Madrid player which resulted in Bale scoring last week. How many games is Bentaleb going to cost us before being dropped ? Bentaleb was easily ManU's best player as we were in total control until the goal and ManU were hardly in the game. In fact, we had 4 shots on target compared to just 1 on target by ManU the whole match. But we never recovered after that goal !

We started the game well and should have scored early but the chance wasted by Eriksen disappointingly. The fact is, the Eriksen from the early last season would have scored 2 goals in this match. But that Eriksen has gone missing since the League Cup semi final and this Eriksen hardly scores nowadays. In fact, Eriksen has only scored 2 goals in 20 matches since the League Cup semi final. Kane did well to create the chance for Eriksen but was hardly in the game after that. Similiarly, Chadli was missing for most of the match apart from missing a golden chance in the second half. With our 3 main goal scorers having a poor match, it is not at all surprising that we failed to score any goal.

Was worried about our midfield before the match and it was proven to be right. There is simply no logic in starting the error-prone Bentaleb in a big match like this, especially after his blunder against Real Madrid just a few days ago. He simply makes too many blunders ! We badly need a much more experienced and composed midfielder against big teams like ManU. Dembele also had a poor match as he was hardly in the match. Thought Lamela should have started this match as he has been our most creative midfielder last season. It was too late to bring Lamela for the last 20 mins as he didn't have much time to make an impact.

Apart from the goal, thought our defence of Vertonghen-Alderweireld did well in this match as ManU hardly had any goal scoring chances. Vorm didn't have much to do apart from saving 1 shot. But disappointingly, our defence could have done much better for their goal. It is always annoying when our opponents get goal scoring chances like Rooney had. Our defence should have never let him unchallenged like that. Walker did well to recover but his challenge was not good as he scored into own goal. It is clear, Pochettino still needs to improve our defending if we want to do well this season.

Always hate losing to ManU as they had been our jinx team far too long. AVB gave us hope and belief by beating them away for the first time since 1989. Sherwood did well to continue it the following season. Now Pochettino has destroyed it for the second season in a row ! Pochettino has one more chance against ManU at home later in the season. If we don't win that, it might take another 20 or 30 years before we beat ManU again ! In the meantime, Pochettino better drop Bentaleb now and get a much better defensive midfielder before he costs us many more games !

"Total ineptitude of the club from top to bottom"?

With respect, that's the biggest load of bollox I've read in years. It seems to me that you must actually know very little about the club.

So allow me to inform you. As a consequence of some very good planning, we have:

1. A team that has finished 4th-6th every year for the past six years. Better than should be expected given the uneven financial playing field on which we operate - competing against clubs with vastly bigger budgets. We are overachieving.

2. One of the two or three best academies in England currently. And unlike the other two - Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project - our academy isn't stuffed to the gills with expensively imported foreigners or young players that have been tapped up from other English clubs. We actually do the work ourselves. We identify our players at an early age and coach the correct principles into them. We have an outstanding group of youth coaches and scouts working under an outstanding academy director in John McDermott.

3. A new training centre that is universally acknowledged as one of the very best in Europe. Delivered to the highest spec and finish.

4. A new stadium under construction that will be the best in the Premier League.

5. In respect of points 3 and 4, we have already spent in excess of £160m over the past few years while remaining debt free.

If all of that is ineptitude, then I pray that I, too, can be inept.

None of which is to say that everything is perfect or that I agree with everything about the way in which the club goes about its business. But "ineptitude from top to bottom"? You couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited:
Back