• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre-Season: *** Tottenham Hotspur vs Real Madrid OPSFMT ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got a chance to watch the first half and I have to say that I was quite impressed. The first 15 minutes we limited them to very little, we passed it around neatly and apart from one or two individual slip ups we actually made Real chase the ball for little reward. I'm still of the opinion that the pass to Lamela on the second minute had too much pace on it. From the 20th minute on it became a more balanced affair but I'd argue that if the final ball from Walker and Rose had been a bit better at times, we would've worked the keeper. We probably dictated possession and the switches in play and the ability to find Rose and to a lesser extent Walker in space were great to see. I actually enjoyed the football we played and to me it seems Poch is implementing something different.

At times we went to a back 3, which is something we have seen often this pre-season, but it was interesting again to see Dembele operating as the right sided midfielder. When Dier was dropping in to the back line, Dembele was moving alongside Alli and when we went to a back 2, Dembele was receiving the ball from Alderweireld in an area where we would expect to see a fullback. Lamela had a semi-free role and was quite often found central, whilst Eriksen operated more towards the inside left channel. Dembele more often than not was the wide right option with the fullbacks overlapping. There was at times a fluidity to the way they all interchanged, as if Poch has shown them a shape and they knew that the nearest man must fill each hole. This was seen in possession but also in defence when there was almost a visible shape to our formation and not the ragged line we had seen at times last season. It was well drilled and held together for most of the half.

On a personel level I thought Alderweireld was immense and others took their cue from him. Dier did well for me too. He did misplace some passes but he read a lot of the early balls that Real fired forward and shut down a lot of their attacks before they got going. Wimmer looks a shrewd addition, whilst Alli is looking like a bargain already. If this is the system that we are going to see more often going forward then I think what we lack is someone to play instead of Lamela who will bring a little something extra. Goal threat for one, but a bit of pace wouldn't hurt.

I just don't think Lamela is a natural goalscoring threat and that is something we need in that area. The Lamela in the youtube compilation at Roma was the ideal player, but we've only seen flashes of that ability in a Spurs shirt. There are times when I wish he would just shoot instead of looking for that inch perfect pass. He suits the central role imo, but I think we need something different in there. Bale would be great actually.

I finally got a chance to watch the first half and I have to say that I was quite impressed. The first 15 minutes we limited them to very little, we passed it around neatly and apart from one or two individual slip ups we actually made Real chase the ball for little reward. I'm still of the opinion that the pass to Lamela on the second minute had too much pace on it. From the 20th minute on it became a more balanced affair but I'd argue that if the final ball from Walker and Rose had been a bit better at times, we would've worked the keeper. We probably dictated possession and the switches in play and the ability to find Rose and to a lesser extent Walker in space were great to see. I actually enjoyed the football we played and to me it seems Poch is implementing something different.

At times we went to a back 3, which is something we have seen often this pre-season, but it was interesting again to see Dembele operating as the right sided midfielder. When Dier was dropping in to the back line, Dembele was moving alongside Alli and when we went to a back 2, Dembele was receiving the ball from Alderweireld in an area where we would expect to see a fullback. Lamela had a semi-free role and was quite often found central, whilst Eriksen operated more towards the inside left channel. Dembele more often than not was the wide right option with the fullbacks overlapping. There was at times a fluidity to the way they all interchanged, as if Poch has shown them a shape and they knew that the nearest man must fill each hole. This was seen in possession but also in defence when there was almost a visible shape to our formation and not the ragged line we had seen at times last season. It was well drilled and held together for most of the half.

On a personel level I thought Alderweireld was immense and others took their cue from him. Dier did well for me too. He did misplace some passes but he read a lot of the early balls that Real fired forward and shut down a lot of their attacks before they got going. Wimmer looks a shrewd addition, whilst Alli is looking like a bargain already. If this is the system that we are going to see more often going forward then I think what we lack is someone to play instead of Lamela who will bring a little something extra. Goal threat for one, but a bit of pace wouldn't hurt.

Nice to see some balance ..

- amazing when this match was announced how many people on this board went -> whats the point, we are just going to get smashed
- yet when we play them, actually have decent possession, limit them for large parts of game and lose 2-0, -> we are brick, doomed, relegation fodder reaction

I also though Toby & Ali were both decent in MLS game as well

I don't think we should be over critical of the team's performance or of any individuals, when it's against opposition of this calibre in a semi competitive game . We also have to remember that our first of game in the PL is just days away and this is really about getting fitness levels up and remaining injury free.

If we're to be critical , then I feel our criticisms should be aimed at those who have arranged our pre season fixtures.

As the game began, the match commentators duly informed the viewers, that the Real Madrid players would be behind Spurs in their preparations for the new season and, that Spurs would have an edge. But there were no acknowledgement that Real Madrid had actually played their first meaningful friendly on Saturday 18th July, twelve whole days before we played our MLS All Stars game. After their game against Munich tomorrow night, they will have one more friendly game, which is this Sunday against a Norwegian team. They will then have an uninterrupted fortnight on their training pitch, clear of any matches and away day traveling before their LA Liga season kick-off on the 23rd of August!

Pre season planning the proper way I'd say .

Agreed.

The post season tour was pointless. It meant we only get a couple of pre season matches, all be it against good sides, and then the last two friendlies they arrange for when the seasons about to kick off. Seems to me that making a few bob was put before giving us an edge for the first few games of the season.

Didn't expect much from this match. But a bit disappointed we didn't get atleast a draw. It would have boosted our confidence for the upcoming season. But it was really annoying that we let Bale score against us ! Will we ever stop this habit of letting our former players score against us ?

We did fairly well, eventhough Real Madrid didn't have Ronaldo and Benzema. But as always we seems to be lacking a killer instinct in front of goal. We seem to rely entirely on Kane nowadays. We didn't get many chances but wasted a few that came our way.

I think this match proves yet again that we need a reliable defensive midfielder who can control the midfield for us. Delli Alli look promising but Bentaleb again made a mistake that resulted in their 2nd goal. Thought Dembele had a good game but he couldn't influence the midfield much.

Really disappointed about both their goals as our defence went to sleep. Thought Vorm should have done better for both the goals as he was badly positioned both times, especially the first goal. For the 2nd goal, it was really embarassing for Vorm to let Bale's shot bounce above him into goal. A decent goalie should not have conceded goal like that. It is clear Vorm is too error-prone. Hope Lloris will come back soon.

Here's my opinion of the team: great third kit! (even though the idiot commentator kept saying "Spurs are in the blue shirts")

I'm not going to comment on the game, even though I was a bit disappointed by our lack of creativity, since it is pre-season. I did want to call out Alli though, who seems to be the goods. Only issue I saw with him was occasional lack of focus and he did try take-ons when he should have passed the ball, but he was our only player who was constantly looking for the forward pass, rather than pass it backwards our sideways, like everyone else. Kudos to the lad. He might just be the CM we're looking for, only seems to be a year away. Hopefully Poch gives him plenty of game time this season to bring him along faster.

I know its contrary to popular opinion but can I just urge the sensible of you fans to have some patience and consider the long term goals of this club. If Pochettino can continue to do what he did last year then we are doing well. This season maybe a little bit less exciting than the heady days of the champions league but it needs to be solid if it can't be spectacular.

The stadium will obviously be a game changer for us, until then if we are to continue with this youth first policy and potentially unearthing a few gems then all the better.

I don't expect us to pull up any trees this year and to be honest I don't expect any more than 6th. A couple of signings could inject some more zest into us, but overall we'd have to do remarkably well to finish higher than 6th. I just keep reminding myself that soon we will have a 61000 seater stadium and we will be able to start affording larger wages and change the level at which we can compete.

Right now it is a golden opportunity for the likes of Kane, Alli, Bentaleb and co to become real premier league stars with us and who knows maybe surprise a few people.

Not a snowballs chance in hell will that happen, the knee jerkers are already out in force and predicting nothing but doom and gloom. It was friendly against one of the biggest teams in statue in football, we lost 2-0 which is a disaster if you read some of the comments by the candy arses.

We actually remind me of where we were before we signed Adebayor, Parker and Friedel in a way. (We were actually already a good side then though with champions league experience and experienced players in king, galas and co). We just needing strengthening in the right areas to raise us to the next level. We have a very good side, I would like a little more pace in the side

I wonder who will play today

Vorm
Trippier Fazio Vertonghen Davies
Bentaleb Mason Winks
Onomah Carroll
Chadli??

How come yedlin didn't make the squad?

is Townsend out there? he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth

Agreed.

The post season tour was pointless. It meant we only get a couple of pre season matches, all be it against good sides, and then the last two friendlies they arrange for when the seasons about to kick off. Seems to me that making a few bob was put before giving us an edge for the first few games of the season.

I got the impression Poch didn't want any pre-season matches. Cullen said it was him who got them to swap the post and pre season ones round, so we played most post and as few as possible pre.

These games are all about the commercial interests and zero about the team. They are played at 80% and the only concern of the coaches is building fitness.

Townsend has a shoulder injury.

Yedlin got released back to the U21s

I read yesterday that Coulthirst was recalled to the squad (he originally went back to the U21s with Yedlin after America), so may play up top?

I got the impression Poch didn't want any pre-season matches. Cullen said it was him who got them to swap the post and pre season ones round, so we played most post and as few as possible pre.

These games are all about the commercial interests and zero about the team. They are played at 80% and the only concern of the coaches is building fitness.

Not so much not wanting games, as we have played a few behind closed doors, but avoiding all the traveling. Tactically we ought to be more than prepared by now, these games are for match fitness and players earning a starting spot.

I might just hold judgement on the value of this pre-season (or lack of) until May.

You never know - not playing 4 or 5 fairly competitive matches in 20 days prior to the season may have untold benefits in the run-in at the end. We are all expecting West ham to struggle after March due to the EL for example.

I might just hold judgement on the value of this pre-season (or lack of) until May.

You never know - not playing 4 or 5 fairly competitive matches in 20 days prior to the season may have untold benefits in the run-in at the end. We are all expecting West ham to struggle after August due to the EL for example.

Fixed.

You've misread me if you think I was calling anyone a clown shoe mate.

I'm not worried about the lack of creativity shown in a friendly against a Rafa Benitez Real Madrid team , a team which I'm sure will comfortably nullify many a talented team this season, especially at this stage of preseason. You and others can worry about it if you want, after all you're right it's down to who shouts loudest and all I can hear is those complaining, me? I'll just wait and see how we play in the games that count :)

We are all on the same side, there are posters on here who I disagree with strongly but I read what they have to say, when setting up teams you either make them defensively solid or gear them to be an attacking force, we are neither, when the "important" games come along we cant just switch it on, all that has happened in the past is that we have a very good first 20 then fade, I am worried that MP does not get the best out of our available players.

Not so much not wanting games, as we have played a few behind closed doors, but avoiding all the traveling. Tactically we ought to be more than prepared by now, these games are for match fitness and players earning a starting spot.

Agree with the first sentence

Re the second one - remember though that we have a strong inverse correlation between how we look in pre-season and how we perform during the season. The seasons where we have looked impressive, the manager has tended to be sacked before Christmas, whereas the ones we've looked slack in, we've had very strong seasons.

I know its contrary to popular opinion but can I just urge the sensible of you fans to have some patience and consider the long term goals of this club. If Pochettino can continue to do what he did last year then we are doing well. This season maybe a little bit less exciting than the heady days of the champions league but it needs to be solid if it can't be spectacular.

The stadium will obviously be a game changer for us, until then if we are to continue with this youth first policy and potentially unearthing a few gems then all the better.

I don't expect us to pull up any trees this year and to be honest I don't expect any more than 6th. A couple of signings could inject some more zest into us, but overall we'd have to do remarkably well to finish higher than 6th. I just keep reminding myself that soon we will have a 61000 seater stadium and we will be able to start affording larger wages and change the level at which we can compete.

Right now it is a golden opportunity for the likes of Kane, Alli, Bentaleb and co to become real premier league stars with us and who knows maybe surprise a few people.

I agree with most of your post. Trouble is if Kane, Bentaleb , Alli do indeed become real PL stars with us, they will be long gone before the stadium is ready and have any meaningful impact for us achieving top four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back