• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Expectations for Season 2015-16

I think I have resigned myself to the fact that we are going to have really just attempt at standing still rather than going forward and trying to maintain the position in the pecking order that we are likely to have which is in all probability, 6th place come next May. I don't have a massive issue with that for the next couple of seasons provided we have a real go at winning one of the trophies on offer and make progress to the latter stages in them all tbh. The spend on players and said players that have been purchased by the top 4 means we are nowhere near finishing in a CL position imo which means we have to be serious about the cups as that is the only thing that might prevent some of our better talent being poached before we get a chance to have the new stadium built.

I would like to see another 4 players in - 2 Forwards, a Winger/Wide Forward and a Defensive minded CM. If we can get them then we can a good season across the board and be a little closer to the top 4 overall.

Overall Expectations provided we sign the players for those positions that I feel are important: 5th/6th place finish in the league, Q/F and beyond in all Cups with a possibility of winning one of them, A more compact team unit conceding around 10 less goals over the course of a season, More competitive home and away against the 5 teams likely to be above us, A continuation and consistent display of the generally at times attractive, high pressing style that we saw last season in flashes.

I can't believe nobody has barely mentioned this but for the first time in 20+ years I would love us to finish above the scum, its about time, that would virtually mean we're in the CL and wenger is toast.

we have to prioritise and being in the europa is a millstone around your neck for doing well in the league so maybe we should go all out to win the 2 bob competition and also try and win the domestic cups and settle for a top 8 place in the league.

I can't believe nobody has barely mentioned this but for the first time in 20+ years I would love us to finish above the scum, its about time, that would virtually mean we're in the CL and wenger is toast.

we have to prioritise and being in the europa is a millstone around your neck for doing well in the league so maybe we should go all out to win the 2 bob competition and also try and win the domestic cups and settle for a top 8 place in the league.

Because it's highly unlikely, in fact, it's almost certain that we will finish below them. They have a better manager and squad, richer resources etc. Besides the fact that they always do it, I can't see us finishing above them any time soon. Even if we do manage to get ourselves into a decent position towards the end, we will find a way to bottle it.

I would like to win the FA Cup above any other trophy that's on offer.

Frankly, except for Lloris, Kane, Eriksen, Chadli and maybe Lamela, nothing else to look forward to next season. Of our new signings, only Alderweireld have some experience but he will need time to partner Vertonghen in defence. The rest are either inexperienced or inconsistent to get excited about. Kane will be under a lot pf pressure as he will need to prove he is not a one-season wonder.

I think fans need to realise where we are as a club. We can buy good established players but that's not going to get us any closer to the clubs above us who can buy ready-made top players, maybe we'd luck out once in a while if one of those clubs have a down year but it's not a sustainable model on our budget. What we can do though is buy/develop youngsters with the potential to become top players, it's not like by taking this approach we're denying ourselves of reaching our goal in the short term either. We had the youngest team in the league last season and still finished in our mean position, some will say they don't care about the age of the squad but it's a far healthier position to be in with a young squad who are much more likely to improve over time than an old one. This young squad are now a year wiser, as is the manager, be patient and stick by them. The last thing we need is another do-over any time soon.

Last edited:
Frankly, except for Lloris, Kane, Eriksen, Chadli and maybe Lamela, nothing else to look forward to next season. Of our new signings, only Alderweireld have some experience but he will need time to partner Vertonghen in defence. The rest are either inexperienced or inconsistent to get excited about. Kane will be under a lot pf pressure as he will need to prove he is not a one-season wonder.
Personally I am really looking forward to seeing how Bentaleb copes this season. I've got a feeling he's going to have an even better season than last. He seems so mature for his age, and from all the training footage he seems to own the midfield. I genuinely believe that he'll be our next BIG superstar. Imo he's an even bigger talent than Kane, and I love Kane.

There is a lot to look forward to with youth players developing. But to avoid being a Southampton - a club that develops and sells talent - we need to add established signings, and we can attract better quality than Southampton. The players we buy don't have to be old, but they need to have top level experience.

Expectations for Bentaleb - he's going to start scoring goals. He's currently just off target, hitting the post or just wide. He'll adjust his sights and we could see 5-10 goals a season from him. Maybe not this year but it will come.

Last edited:

I think that you will find that I did much earlier in this thread ..... :):)

I'm looking forward to Kane, Eriksen, Chadli, Bentaleb, Mason, Rose, Lloris, Vertoghen, Walker, Dier, Fazio and Lamela, all being a year wiser, older and a year more PL experienced. Our best years have been keeping the same team and letting them mature together.

Last edited:
I expect Kingdawson get a BJ finally from his girlfriend.
(Hope it's GoogleAd friendly.)

There is nothing wrong with a big jumper. Cold nights on the terraces, you should be looking out for your fellow supporter. Good man.

Last edited:
For those who remember the summer of 2007, what was then needed (CM enforcer, experienced defender) and what we ended up getting (Bale, Bent, Kaboul)...does anybody start to worry things are looking a little similar this time (including the last game achievement of 5th, but minus the big new stadium excitement)?
:eek:

1. First of all, consistency. Beat the teams we're supposed to beat. That's the reason the scum finish above us every year, not because they win the big games.

2. If we manage to do 1, then 70 points should be achievable. A sprinkle of decent results against the scum, Pool, the Mancs, and Chelski and top 4 may not be as farfetched as it sounds.

3. Breakout season for Lamela.

4. Alli, Pritchard, or both proving they're all they're cranked up to be.

5. Allow 10 fewer goals.

If it sounds like a lot, it isn't. And if most of the above happen, a trophy or CL might be there for us at the end of the season.

Fifth/sixth, a good cup run and a the emergence of a few new exciting youth prospects is my guess.

Start of a 2 year cycle for me. Excited to see how the young players come through. Expect us to finish 5-6th later stages of all the cup competitions.

Also couple of the kids coming through and becoming new Kane.

New spacegoat found by around November, my money is probably on either Walker or Mason

I want to see progression, starting with being much harder to score against. We shouldn't be struggling to keep the goal difference in positive numbers.
The core of the team is developing, hopefully this will continue and a strong backbone added.
I think 5th is the best finish we can hope for, given the sums being spent by the top 4 and the difficulty in preparing for league games around EL games.
An FA cup win would be amazing, just showing the competition some respect this season would be a start.

Also, please please please can we have some new chants.

"come on you Spurs" is getting a bit hackneyed and is too dirge like in its delivery. We need something more uplifting and inspiring imo.

"OOOO" ( one of our own) is more like it but we need more of the same please.

Is this worth a new thread for suggestions?

Back