• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

I this is just an other case of an ECB rooster up. I think Peterson is a good player but probably a pain in the a***, strong management should have resolved the issues when they started. Cricket has always been run by people with an amateur mind set and hardly ever do anything to improve the game for players. The scheduling and preparation of tours is a joke along with selection of squads. There is still a "gentlemen and players" attitude and many counties. I've been going to county cricket since the 60's and the only improvement I've seen is in the fielding.

Went to Lords last night. Kent have the most awful kit I've ever seen, it's red, blue, yellow and green with black Spitfires on. Finn bowled very well, with the exception of Claydon Kent matched their kit.

Went to Essex last night and watched them play Somerset, the master blaster Chris Gayle got 92 effortlessly, some huge sixes

Cook now is the highest English run scorer passing Graham Gooch, he really looks in great touch again, the Cook of old is back

Cook now is the highest English run scorer passing Graham Gooch, he really looks in great touch again, the Cook of old is back

Its brilliant, the short game was forcing him to play shot he is simply not good at. Now he has remembered to leave everything out side of off stump.

Well done that man form is temporary class is permanent

England in self destruct mode once again, 5 wickets this morning, all 5 of them could've easily be avoided, some pathetic batting

I think Lyth got a good ball he couldn't do much about. Bell though, can't handle the pressure. Rarely performs when needed.

Cook showing the others how to bat properly, is looking like the Cook that used to score hundreds for fun in almost every test

Lost this game in the middle order, 85 runs in 2 innings from Ballance, Bell, Root and Stokes.

Am I the only one who wanted to see Buttler or Stokes come in at 3? Obviously unlikely to win the match but would have shown some interesting intent.

I think the order works well, solidity in opening, a mixture of defensive/strokeplay at 3/4 then stroke players that are more expansive in the lower to middle order. Trouble is 3/4 aren't doing their job so the others are coming in when the ball is new still. Could maybe have a more aggressive opener or ask Lyth to play that was for a better start.

Probably, yes.

I don't mean as a permanent change, but chasing such a large total it would have been nice to see them promote a hitter up the order to show some intent. Give someone like Buttler a lot of time and license to hit and maybe he gets a quick century to put some pressure on New Zealand. If he gets out quickly bring in the more slow and steady players to bat out the day

Could maybe have a more aggressive opener or ask Lyth to play that was for a better start.

Why change Cook and Lyth in this test they put on 200 and 40 odd in the 2 innings, no need to change that for me, its one of ballance/bell who needs to go

Why change Cook and Lyth in this test they put on 200 and 40 odd in the 2 innings, no need to change that for me, its one of ballance/bell who needs to go

They have looked fairly solid but Lyth's footwork looks a little suspect to me. Seems to often be caught between coming forward or going back and an opener should really be able to judge length. Be interesting to see how they fare against Mitchell and Co but would leave them unchanged for the series and review after that.

Good to see Mitchell Starc continue his World Cup form in the first test against the Windies. Batting needs to step up, can't be relying on 35 year old debutants to get us out of trouble.

I think the order works well, solidity in opening, a mixture of defensive/strokeplay at 3/4 then stroke players that are more expansive in the lower to middle order. Trouble is 3/4 aren't doing their job so the others are coming in when the ball is new still. Could maybe have a more aggressive opener or ask Lyth to play that was for a better start.

Give the guy a chance, Lyth is a quick scoring shot player, but he's feeling his way into test cricket and needs time to apply himself. Pity our screwball management opted for Trott in the Caribbean, should have gone straight for Lyth and given him a proper run of matches prior to the Ashes.

Cook/Lyth have the makings of a solid partnership.

Problem is at No3 Ballance looks to have a significant weakness in his technique. Not sure he's going to survive the Ashes series. If Hayles has a good ODI series I can see him getting the call.

I like Bell, but he's short on confidence, not sure why as he was one of the best batsmen in the world a couple of years ago. I think he'll re-find his form.

So what would be your line up for the first test?

I would maybe bring in a different spinner in place of Ali, but I don't follow county cricket enough to know who that would be. I guess Rashid is next in line and seems to have been talked up for eternity, especially seeing as the Aussies aren't too hot against leg spin it's worth a shout. Bishoo took 6 wickets against them the other day.

I'd leave the rest as is for the first 2 tests and see how they go although your post above sums up the issue. If Lyth is a quick scoring shot player like a Warner then why is he reining it in, I'm going to guess the coaches are behind it but I'm a believer that people should play their natural game and a fast starter is exactly what we haven't had for a long long time.

Back