• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

I don't think you're paying much attention if you think it's any worse for Townsend than any other player who has competition for his place in the team.

Try to do a search putting in just "useless" and, other than a couple of very recent references to Soldado and obviously to Adebayor, see which player has constantly borne the almost complete brunt of this word.

Oh yes - you are a "hater", mate.

We are discussing ONE game in which Andros played as good as any other player on the pitch and scored an outstanding goal yet you immediately dismiss him and clearly state your agenda that you can't wait to see the back of him.

Stretch your memory to Lamela's similarly outstanding goal and equally reasonable game (and I am naming him because he is Townsend's direct equivalent) against Everton did anyone come up and say: "Won't complain if he can do it more often though one per goal a season is AWFUL from an attacking winger ..." or "wonderful goal... still think he's rubbish though."

Two weights, two measures; spacegoats and untouchables; haters and excusers....

There is a VERY LONG list of people who deserve to get sold in the summer - starting with Adebayor and Soldado together with Capoue, Paulinho and even Lamela. Townsend comes very much in the back of that queue.

All flimflam, you clearly struggle with one simple thing - understanding that people have different opinions to you. Just because I think Towsnedn is really bad it doesn't mean I have an agenda because it doesn't align with what you think. Your opinions aren't the facts in the situation and if people disagree then there's an agenda or whatever. Some people just think he's a bit brick and nowhere near good enough.

I think Lamela is leagues ahead of Towsnend in terms of ability. The future will tell of course (though classic straw man argument, what has lamela got to do with how good townsend is/isn't?). And comparing Towsnends very good goal, with Lamela only about 10 people in the world could dream of doing it is pretty laughable and actually shows up who try has no objectivity!

All hogwash, you clearly struggle with one simple thing - understanding that people have different opinions to you. Just because I think Towsnedn is really bad it doesn't mean I have an agenda because it doesn't align with what you think. Your opinions aren't the facts in the situation and if people disagree then there's an agenda or whatever. Some people just think he's a bit crud and nowhere near good enough.

I think Lamela is leagues ahead of Towsnend in terms of ability. The future will tell of course (though classic straw man argument, what has lamela got to do with how good townsend is/isn't?). And comparing Towsnends very good goal, with Lamela only about 10 people in the world could dream of doing it is pretty laughable and actually shows up who try has no objectivity!

I dunno -- you do seem to have something against our academy players. You don't like Townsend, which I get.l But you don't like Mason either. You seem to hate Danny Rose. Kane has had to perform to player of the season levels for you not to dislike him, and even them you are sceptical?

Personally, I'm the reverse. If a player has come through the academy, I give them more slack than a big money buy.

I dunno -- you do seem to have something against our academy players. You don't like Townsend, which I get.l But you don't like Mason either. You seem to hate Danny Rose. Kane has had to perform to player of the season levels for you not to dislike him, and even them you are sceptical?

Personally, I'm the reverse. If a player has come through the academy, I give them more slack than a big money buy.
bang on the money

Reactions: DTA

Ditto

All hogwash, you clearly struggle with one simple thing - understanding that people have different opinions to you. Just because I think Towsnedn is really bad it doesn't mean I have an agenda because it doesn't align with what you think. Your opinions aren't the facts in the situation and if people disagree then there's an agenda or whatever. Some people just think he's a bit crud and nowhere near good enough.

I understand one simple thing alright! You are one of those "fans" who take an intense hatred for a player (or as pointed out by others - most of our academy players) to the extent that even when they play decently well, you still cannot bring yourself to give them the praise they deserve. I actually think you are so disappointed that they are proving your criticism wrong, that you feel the need to still try to bring them down - just to prove you were right.

I very much understand that people can have different opinions; just like the cleric or whatever in the Middle East who said that the earth revolves around the sun. I understand he has a different opinion but that does not make that opinion any less stupid, illogical or ridiculous. Lamela is "leagues ahead of Townsend"? Really? On what objective basis? Or is this again an opinion? By all means enjoy your opinion, but the fact is that it apparently has as much weighting as that of the cleric... because Poch - after having given Lamela ample leeway - has consigned him to the bench. And do you know who is starting instead of him? Answers on a postcard.

And to put the icing on the cake... I am apparently one of 10 people around the world who have the temerity to compare Townsend's Swansea goal with that of Lamela against Everton. Mmmm.... Now I ask myself, could Townsend pull off a shot like Lamela's? It is a distinct possibility; every player can fluke a shot like that - as evident from Lamela's inability to repeat the feat. Could Lamela replicate Townsend's goal? Not a chance in hell. He does not have the pace and his dribbling always requires beating two players and then running straight into the third. Having said that, even though I have massive reservations about the Argentine, I was singing his praises unreservedly after that Everton game and - above all - would love him to prove me wrong. If he does, I can assure you that I will celebrate his improvement unreservedly and without any agenda.

Just to clarify, coz I don't want it to seem like I'm piling in on Grimsby here...I don't really rate Townsend, but I really, really want him to do well. Not just coz he's one of our players, but because he is REALLY one of ours. And you can see how much it means to him. But I don't think he has what it takes, I hope I'm wrong and that he can develop further. He could have a future as a squad player imo. I thought Lamela was maybe turning a corner with games like the Liverpool one, but he seems to go 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I really don't know about him, other than that he has been a massive disappointment, given what we paid.

And a quick note on those other academy lads I mentioned in relation to GrimsbyYid -- Danny Rose, I have rated more than most for awhile, I really like him and love his attitude. Harry Kane, I was totally wrong about and he's just blown my mind this season. Mason I like and again, love his attitude.

We all have opinions, most of mine turn out to be b0ll0cks. But I really don't get what seems to be a willingness to lay into our academy graduates, and imo Grimsby, it is this that makes people come back hard at your opinions, even if some of them are valid.

We all have had opinions that have been wrong but grimsby has been ott I quoted one of his comments about Kane being championship level even after he was at about 12 goals for season. But alas not having a go against him but as others have mentioned why do our academy lads get more stick? By every measurable Lamela and Townsend are both Identical. Both have been disappointing, same age, same goal assist output, same value if sold on market now etc.. The only real difference is one cost us 30m and one cost us nothing but you all can see who gets the benefit of the doubt explain why?

pretty sure if you asked people to tell you what it is that is bad about townsend ,,, most of them wont be able to quantify it

Its easy to say that townsend is just bad without being made to validate your answer

aside from tactical awareness to the role of a wing forward when tottenham have the ball..i fail to see what is bad about townsend

talent wise i do believe lamela is quite a way ahead of townsend......but it all boils down to application and returns......, the fact of the matter is that with less talent townsend actually applies himself more in comparison to the talent he has than lamela does in comparison with his own talent

basically if you put townsend out there you know what you will get and he tries to give it to you

I say we just be happy for the kid!!!!!

I can nominate what is bad about him-no end product. Apart from the goal against Swansea and his penalties, he is a player who has no positive impact on our results. Lamela is another. Dembele has also been guilty of this. They look a million dollars, but do very little.

I can nominate what is bad about him-no end product. Apart from the goal against Swansea and his penalties, he is a player who has no positive impact on our results. Lamela is another. Dembele has also been guilty of this. They look a million dollars, but do very little.

but you see.....you say it but you haven't truly proved it or really described / quantified what you mean. which is the same thing as simply just saying 'he is bad'

NO end product means he has none whatsoever...even if that meant that his end product was very bad you still haven't truly quantified anything there

are his crosses not getting into the box? is he passing wayward? do his shots hit row z a vast majority of the time?

what's the definition of ' No end product' to begin with anyway? And who does have an end product that validates your statement that he doesnt have any? what's the comaprison? and is it fair? do you hold ALL others to that standard?

aside from tactical awareness to the role of a wing forward when tottenham have the ball..i fail to see what is bad about Townsend
That's quite an important requirement for a wing forward.

I'd also add to that a lack of tactical awareness as a wing forward when we don't have the ball too. That's also a prerequisite to playing the position well IMO

Last edited:
That's quite an important requirement for a wing forward.

I'd also add to that a lack of tactical awareness as a wing forward when we don't have the ball too. That's also a prerequisite to playing the position well IMO

True on both counts but when townsend plays in our team he doesn't actually play as a wing forward...he is a winger out there. the reason i added his lack of appreciation as a wing forward was because he is in direct competition with lamela.....and lamela tactically plays the wing forward position better than townsend

on the defensive end i think everyone is doing a great job..so townsend doesnt actually show bad traits defensively...i think thats a bit of a myth to be honest. may not be as hard working as lamela but it adequate

Back