• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

how many were scored from each position though?

I was being a little facetious, but I think it's clear he's well equipped to lead the line.

Don't get me wrong, we have a good striker and it's a nice problem to have, but I genuinely think it will be hard to find the type and quality of player we'll need who will be happy to understudy Kane.

Sadly, much as I like him, Soldado obviously isn't that, and less sadly neither is Ade.

Maybe, as mentioned above, Rodriguez could be that type but there must be massive question marks about his recovery.

And to make matters worse, it's two strikers, or a striker and a 'forward' we need, assuming that Bobby and Ade are done.

buy someone better than Kane as a 9 so we can drop him back as a 10

I share your wish to see Benteke in our colours but that is maily to alternate with Kane (and give him a rest) or - in games against teams that park the bus - play both CFs with Eriksen in the hole.

Kane has blossomed into the perfect lone no 9. His movement, intelligence, ability to hold the ball, runs into the channels... I could go on and on. We have been scouring the world for a centre forward who could play upfront on his own when we had him under our noses all the time!

But above all: it is MUCH easier to find a good no 10 (although we already have one in Eriksen and will get one just a good in Pritchard next year) than it is an outstanding lone no 9.

For this reason I would not want Kane to move anywhere from his current position.

Benteke!

I said better than Kane, not wildly inferior

I like Eriksen as a wide player in the 3 rather than the Central, good to have the options we do now though rather than the crap we have had in the past

My bad!

Honestly though... do you see us able to sign a no 9 who can play the lone striker role even as good, let alone better, than Kane.

Do you have anyone in mind who is actually gettable?

As Maltese has pointed out are some of you taking Kane for granted? Clearly yes because a striker playing as a 9 with his goal return and effectiveness is out of our price range. So we want to change his position to accommodate a waster Soldado who has been absolute brick and on wrong sode of 30? I'll wait

I think to be fair to gf he is not saying we move Harry back to accommodate Soldado but rather to get a better centre forward.

My disagreement with that is:
1. There is NO centre forward who is currently better and who we can afford. We are not a CL team and we are not funded by a sugar daddy! The only current strikers I would put in front of Kane atm are Aguero and Costa; both of whom are in a stratosphere we cannot afford.
2. Kane is NOT a no 10. At best he is a second striker ala Sheringham. But that is not our game; Poch's pressing style cannot accommodate a second striker
3. Neville made a great remark that Kane has no particularly outstanding attributes but he is very good across the board in all of them. That is not the mark of a great no 10 but it explains why he is such a good lone striker.

So can I suggest we thank our lucky stars we have him and appreciate how unique he is - especially being one of our own - and let him develop in the position which suits him best.... a fantastic no 9.

we've done it before, we signed some kid for 11m from Leverkusen who turned out to be the best forward in the PL, these guys are out there, we just need to do a better job of finding them

it's not a diss on Kane, it's about getting him some help and playing him where I feel he is best

we've done it before, we signed some kid for 11m from Leverkusen who turned out to be the best forward in the PL, these guys are out there, we just need to do a better job of finding them

it's not a diss on Kane, it's about getting him some help and playing him where I feel he is best

i actually think that's a bit harsh. not that you intentional mean to be harsh by the way but...
You feel he is best in a position that takes his AWAY from the place that has him as the highest scoring englishman in the fewer minutes played against other top english strikers? 1 goal away from tying with world class players such as Aguero and costa? and 2 from being the top marksman in the prem
i dont understand why you want to do that other than the idea that maybe you just dont 'like' or 'dig' or 'get excited' by Kane's kind of player?

why are we even looking for someone else? why not just tighten up the rest of the first team..have an ace striker and then a top team to back him up?

Ahhhhh, unless you dont actually think he is as good as his current purple patch suggest...which is as good as aguero and costa.....and you want to actually get someone that could be as good as those two?

but even then i dont think we would be able to afford them...

I think we should be looking to improve all of our players all the time, if we had a sniff at a better keeper than Lloris (which we don't) I'd be all over it

Kane hasn't scored all his goals playing on point, which I think is being missed, he excels getting the ball deep and running at the defence, all I'm saying is that we can add an in the box poacher we might get more out of the unit, I'm not wanting to replace Kane, just give him someone to aid in the donkey work so he can focus his energy a bit more on what he does with the ball, not chasing it down when we don't have it

for your second point AS, no I don't think he's as good as Aguero or Costa, does anyone? I think we can easily get a player who offers more to the first 11 than Chadli/Townsend/Lamela

I think we should be looking to improve all of our players all the time, if we had a sniff at a better keeper than Lloris (which we don't) I'd be all over it

Kane hasn't scored all his goals playing on point, which I think is being missed, he excels getting the ball deep and running at the defence, all I'm saying is that we can add an in the box poacher we might get more out of the unit, I'm not wanting to replace Kane, just give him someone to aid in the donkey work so he can focus his energy a bit more on what he does with the ball, not chasing it down when we don't have it

for your second point AS, no I don't think he's as good as Aguero or Costa, does anyone? I think we can easily get a player who offers more to the first 11 than Chadli/Townsend/Lamela

so why dont we replace those guys first? instead of the guy thats on his way to something special

(I can see where you are going with this and i kind of agree....its just that this is a kane thread so i'm assuming Kane is the one you want to replace/ that you feel is not good enough/ needs upgading for the number 9 role)

ah one other thing......if harry does well coming off the front line , finding space and then doing damage..isnt it as much a reason that he is playing well doing that BECAUSE he is the point person coming off the back line? as opposed to him just being in that deep position full time?

its all about your positions , in my view anyway, from where you start from versus where you go. if you start from one place (point A) and then go somewhere else (point B) and THEN THAT clever well timed movement makes you open...do you think you would still be open if you were to start and stay in the position (point B) through the game? dont you think you would be easier to mark? . its just like the wonky...the creative mid on the flank who never stays on the flank but intead drifts in field with time and space to pull strings and score goals....Yyeeaaaahh man.

for your second point AS, no I don't think he's as good as Aguero or Costa, does anyone?

I don't think he is as rounded as Aguero - yet - but then was Shearer? Don't think so but I would have him in my team in a shot. Goals win games and Harry is proving himself to be a goalscorer per excellance.

But Costa? I think he is definitely not miles ahead. Stats don't lie; the fact that is Harry up there with him - in the charts - without a back up cast of Fabregas, Oscar and Hazard - speaks volumes.

Harry is just 21 - the other two have been playing five years at the very top. Were they better than Harry at 21? Not that I can remember...

I understand that you would like him to focus his energy but chasing the ball down is critical to his game and what makes him so exciting and different from the other CFs. And it doesn't seem to be affecting his game - if anything the opposite.

I say let's focus on getting a couple of top class centre halves - because it is obvious that that is where we are weak - as well as a genuine defensive midfielder and a playmaker; those four positions will eat up all the money we will have available in the summer and some. And let's continue to enjoy our Harry in his best position.

so why dont we replace those guys first? instead of the guy thats on his way to something special

(I can see where you are going with this and i kind of agree....its just that this is a kane thread so i'm assuming Kane is the one you want to replace/ that you feel is not good enough/ needs upgading for the number 9 role)

ah one other thing......if harry does well coming off the front line , finding space and then doing damage..isnt it as much a reason that he is playing well doing that BECAUSE he is the point person coming off the back line? as opposed to him just being in that deep position full time?

its all about your positions , in my view anyway, from where you start from versus where you go. if you start from one place (point A) and then go somewhere else (point B) and THEN THAT clever well timed movement makes you open...do you think you would still be open if you were to start and stay in the position (point B) through the game? dont you think you would be easier to mark? . its just like the wonky...the creative mid on the flank who never stays on the flank but intead drifts in field with time and space to pull strings and score goals....Yyeeaaaahh man.

this is the Soldado thread, my original suggestion was to buy a better 9 and let Kane play in a freer role

Of course we need a striker.

We have two back ups that aren't good enough/gone AWOL and we need back up or someone to play alongside. Kane will lose form/get injured down the line and we cannot rely on anyone else.

Some of Kane's best games have been as the second striker and coming up the ranks he played as a 10 a hell of a lot. He is less silky than the average one but he is very effective there. He can do either 9 or 10 well

Of course we need a striker.

We have two back ups that aren't good enough/gone AWOL and we need back up or someone to play alongside. Kane will lose form/get injured down the line and we cannot rely on anyone else.

Some of Kane's best games have been as the second striker and coming up the ranks he played as a 10 a hell of a lot. He is less silky than the average one but he is very effective there. He can do either 9 or 10 well

MUCH fewer in comparison to him playing as number 9. That bit there is factual. we may not get the same returns from him at 10 as we do at 9

We will be buying a new no.9 in the summer and Kane will be used in one of the positions behind the forward at times next season, of that im sure. It's a long season and games will require different approaches and players will drop in and out of form/pick up injuries - having a player in Kane who is comfortable playing a couple of different roles is a positive and something we should utilise - in fact it's probably an attribute we are looking for in any potential forward signing.

I also agree that we will buy a striker this summer but I am quite sure that he won't be anywhere as good as Kane - because those rare breeds cost in excess of 30 mill. He will be a decent backup, play in the EL if we don't make top 4 and be someone we can put on if we are struggling to break down a stubborn defence.

If it aint broke, why fix it. We have the third best goal scorer in Europe who, as Poch said, still can improve further and get better. So let's nurture him in the position he has shown himself to be most effective in.

I agree with Maltese if it aint broke don't fix it, but lets makee sure we have got adequate cover coz Ade & Soldado just aint got it for me

Back