• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rose versus Walker

I think we all get carried away with analyzing crosses these days. It isn't easy to score of a cross every pl weekend you may see a couple and majority are pull backs. I just re watched yesterday's match and first half we collectively whipped in a ton of quality crosses they were mostly just well defended as they usually are at this level. My point is a player can put in a quality cross without it ending in a goal.

Everybody is talking about Bentaleb and Mason this year,
While Rose has been flying under the radar. I have to admit I thought he was rubbish last year and didn't want him anywhere near the first team .

This year he has made tremendous progress, he is not the finished article, but he has been good.

I think he is far superior to Ben Davies, who I think look clumsy on the ball and not thrustworthy in defence ( take in consideration that Davies hasn't been given to many chanses)
What i also like about Rose is that there is fight in the little fella, he can be little bit nasty, and I think we need that in our team, a little bit teeth.

Hope he continous his fine run :)

You have to remember that Rose overall has minimal experience at playing left back and last seasons was lager isolated massively as we had no cover from midfield. With mason and bentelab we have a much stronger support network for our attacking full backs

The only criticism you could have of Rose this season are the rash penalties he has given away... But again he knows that himself as highlighted ina. Recent interview, and it will stop with experience

I actually think Rose's crossing is very good. It's a shame we really only have Kane in the box for our full backs to aim for.

Yeah that's a massive part of the problem, we never seem to have anyone bar Kane and Chadli looking available in the box. Its hard as a player when youre out wide and look up to see hardly any targets....

It will be interesting to see if Yedlin coming into the squad will have the same effect on Walker that Davies appears to have had on Rose. I love Kyle but for a long time he has known he is a guaranteed starter.

Rose does put in a lovely cross as well and from what I have seen, Yedlins final ball/finishing is also good. Walker needs to improve this - and his concentration to try and lessen the brain farts (come to think of it that applies to the whole defence actually!).

Yeah that's a massive part of the problem, we never seem to have anyone bar Kane and Chadli looking available in the box. Its hard as a player when youre out wide and look up to see hardly any targets....

That's just it. Not just our team either majority of teams will only have a striker and an AM making runs into the box it's nearly impossible to pick out the inch perfect cross. CB's at this level are excellent at dealing with aerial crosses.

It will be interesting to see if Yedlin coming into the squad will have the same effect on Walker that Davies appears to have had on Rose. I love Kyle but for a long time he has known he is a guaranteed starter.

Rose does put in a lovely cross as well and from what I have seen, Yedlins final ball/finishing is also good. Walker needs to improve this - and his concentration to try and lessen the brain farts (come to think of it that applies to the whole defence actually!).

I don't think anyone knows enough yet but having watched a few MLS games since we signed him I actually think he will struggle to make the squad next year and I think he will get a Championship/low end perm to toughen him up a bit before playing - Fredericks will be our back up right back next year. Just a prediction but I think Yedlin may struggle with certain aspects of English football.

I don't think anyone knows enough yet but having watched a few MLS games since we signed him I actually think he will struggle to make the squad next year and I think he will get a Championship/low end perm to toughen him up a bit before playing - Fredericks will be our back up right back next year. Just a prediction but I think Yedlin may struggle with certain aspects of English football.

Im going to disagree with that because I think he has all the necessary raw materials and combined with our coaching team who have improved arguably most players I think he will become an important member of the squad....

So far this season Middlesbrough have conceded a measly 24 in 35 league games. True, Fredericks has missed more than half of those through injury but hopefully he's had something to do with that.

Edit: Just checked his stats: 14 full appearances in the Championship, 8 conceded, 7 clean sheets. One other game, a 1-1 draw, he came on as sub and played 19 mins without conceding.

Overall, with Fredericks at RB, 'Boro have scored noticeably more and conceded even fewer than their average without him. Oh, and they are top of the table.

Last edited:

I think you may be right. Its a huge step up from MLS especially someone of his age and limited experience. I couldn't believe it when some had him making his debut and in their starting lineup at Fiorentina. Which is not to say he won't make it here, but I'm with you and wouldn't be shocked if we sent him out loan to help him aclimate.

So far this season Middlesbrough have conceded a measly 24 in 35 league games. True, Fredericks has missed more than half of those through injury but hopefully he's had something to do with that.

Edit: Just checked his stats: 14 full appearances in the Championship, 8 conceded, 7 clean sheets. One other game, a 1-1 draw, he came on as sub and played 19 mins without conceding.

Overall, with Fredericks at RB, 'Boro have scored noticeably more and conceded even fewer than their average without him. Oh, and they are top of the table.

I wouldn't go too far into pinning their form on him! But I didn't rate him too highly because defensively he was super rash - however a season of playing against good players and doing well shows he could be good enough and he must have improved a lot as well. Great to see and tbh I thjnk he is deserving of a chance (boro fans think very very highly of him)

Im going to disagree with that because I think he has all the necessary raw materials and combined with our coaching team who have improved arguably most players I think he will become an important member of the squad....

Yes but Maybe not next year is my point. His pace is great but he will need to toughen up, strengthen and learn to defend - maybe next year will be Fredericks chance

Fredericks will not make it. Yedlin will be ahead of him. And even Walker-Peters has shown more promise.

I have read Boro fans raving about his ability/potential - they had Naughton on loan and said Fredricks is lightyears ahead of him. If that's in any way close to the mark im sure he has a great chance of 'making it'

Not with us. Good luck to him though. I'm sure if Middlesbrough go up, they'll sign him if he's that good.

Time will tell im sure - i don't see the point in writing a player off at this stage of his development when he's getting very high praise from those who watch him week in week out though.

Considering I live and work surrounded by Middlesbrough fans and have watched Boro play this season, I'm sure I could form an opinion.

He looks okay. No where near as good as Walker looked in the Championship. And no where near as good as Naughton has looked in the Premier League. My opinion is he won't make it to play for us on a consistent basis.

He may play Premier league football by getting a promotion and a manager sticking with him but he's not going to be one that Prem clubs are going to be fighting over.

Well that goes entirely against what i've heard from boro fans.

Regardless, plenty of players haven't looked good on loans to lower league teams (or even prem) only to become good players at their parent clubs (Kane the most recent example) so it seems silly to write a player off when he's doing well on loan.

Football amazingly is a game of opinions. You have someone on here who thinks Kane is a Championship level player.

Back